Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. - 4x09 - "Broken Promises" - Discussion Thread

I hate to say it, but I was kind of bored of this episode. The story with Nadir and her brother was kind of boring, I'm sick of Fitz and Simmons being split up again. The entire AIDA going rogue thing was so much like a lesser Westworld that it felt repetitive and you could see the ending coming from a mile away.

Mack mostly saved ite with his zingers and shotgun axe, thankfully.

I hate to say it, but I was kind of bored of this episode. The story with Nadir and her brother was kind of boring, I'm sick of Fitz and Simmons being split up again. The entire AIDA going rogue thing was so much like a lesser Westworld that it felt repetitive and you could see the ending coming from a mile away.

Mack mostly saved ite with his zingers and shotgun axe, thankfully.

I liked it more than you, but I agree that Alphonso "Robo-Hunter" MacKenzie was absolutely fantastic. Probably Simmons best work since the Season 2 finale.

I wasn't really shocked that the villainous guy in the comics turned out to be villainous in the show.

I liked it more than you, but I agree that Alphonso "Robo-Hunter" MacKenzie was absolutely fantastic. Probably Simmons best work since the Season 2 finale.

I'm glad you liked it more than me, I'm disappointed. lol

Simmons was great, I love how the new director underestimated her, that pleb.

I was a Little bit bored too. I loved the Show but at some Point of Season 3 they lost me.. Th eplot Twists feel so forced..

So, what should we call the LMD May? Robo May, LMayD, or TerMAYnator? :woot:

Good episode.
I expected to see another Aida at the end, I didn't expect at all Radcliffe was part of the plan.
Mack's robot joke were fun.

Calling it now: Aida II turns good to fulfill her duty of being "the shield".

Can we acknowledge how awesome it is to finally have an Indian Male superhero in Marvel or DC live action with cool powers...

And they actually got an actor with potential;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0o6q4MnxGtI

Hopefully this character gets more attention and opens some doors.

To me the episode crossed the emotionally believable line.

I can buy in to wild sci-fi such as aliens and androids but emotionally, having a sister turn on and KILL her brother because he gains some extra abilities is just stupid and unrealistic. It's like being appalled that your brother can now throw a baseball 100 MPH when before he couldn't. How does that change who he is or the person you know??? Maybe if he had transformed in to a Raina type hedgehog the arc might be somewhat believable. As is, the intellectual and emotional level of this show has hit a rut.

I thought Jemma's fake American accent sounded awful. It sounded like someone trying to fake an American accent.

So is the 2nd Aida not sentient? Why send the sentient one then? Why not send the subservient one?

I took it that neither were sentient. Aida was fulfilling a program by Radcliffe to obtain the Darkhold.

I thought Jemma's fake American accent sounded awful. It sounded like someone trying to fake an American accent.

So is the 2nd Aida not sentient? Why send the sentient one then? Why not send the subservient one?

The accent was fine

I can buy in to wild sci-fi such as aliens and androids but emotionally, having a sister turn on and KILL her brother because he gains some extra abilities is just stupid and unrealistic. It's like being appalled that your brother can now throw a baseball 100 MPH when before he couldn't. How does that change who he is or the person you know??? Maybe if he had transformed in to a Raina type hedgehog the arc might be somewhat believable. As is, the intellectual and emotional level of this show has hit a rut.

How is that unrealistic? She's unstable....paranoid..... heck Cain slew Able.... The Menendez bros killed their parents..... I thought the sense was quite chilling. I knew something was gonna happen when she said "Focus on me, not them" ....I was like uh oh.

I'll be watching soon. Was kind of busy at the college yesterday

There was never a sentient AIDA. Radcliffe even stated that they all bought into his "she's a real girl now" story, he made that all up. Unless of course it's a double twist and it turns out she actually was/is sentient and is fooling Radcliffe or had him replaced with an LMD as well.

I don't think you understand how deep-seated prejudice and racism works or the Watchdogs. The sort of prejudice and racism is not rational. It isn't in real life so you can't expect it to be rational in the show. If a person's prejudice or racism is bad enough it can override love. And no it's not remotely like "finding out your brother can throw a baseball 100mph". The Watchdogs and people like them dont see Inhumans as humans with neat powers. They see them as infected abominations and half breeds that shouldn't be alive. To that sister her brother is now an infected abomination and to her, in her prejudiced irrational mind, killing her brother is a mercy and the "right" thing to do.

There are parents that have disowned their own children (no contact at all) for being gay, for marrying or dating people of other races, for being a member of another political party etc. Parents have forced their children into conversion therapy. Throughout history we know that people have betrayed family and friends for political, ideological, and prejudiced reasons. And I'm sure there are some extreme neo Nazis that would kill a brother if that brother suddenly turned into a Jew or woke up as a black skinned person. Some people are that prejudiced and radically, ignorantly racist.

Human love is rarely truly unconditional. A mother's love is the closest thing humans have to true unconditional love, and even that isn't always unconditional. So it really isn't hard to believe that a sister as prejudiced as this one would "mercy" kill her brother.

Last edited:
The accent was fine

It sounded like an English person who, when asked to do an American accent, can only do the stereotypical southern one they have in their mind, rather than the more neutral one which English people who are better at American accents can do. It's very noticeable and sounds put on.

Parminder Nagra's American accent, for example, is better than Elizabeth Henstridge's, and you don't notice it because it sounds more natural.

There was never a sentient AIDA. Radcliffe even stated that they all bought into his "she's a real girl now" story, he made that all up. Unless of course it's a double twist and it turns out she actually was/is sentient and is fooling Radcliffe or had him replaced with an LMD as well.

So kidnapping the real May was Radcliffe's idea rather than AIDA going rogue and out of control? Maybe she was just following orders?

And has the Darkhold not actually affected her mind?

And when did Radcliffe manage to build another AIDA? I thought he needed Fitz's help to get her to that level. Is AIDA 2 (or whatever number the latest model is) an upgrade to the one who was beheaded?

I don't know what character it was, but there was a character that would have powers, get killed, and then would later resurrect with different powers. Could that be Vijaay?

Also, all those 80s movie jokes, but no one points to Ultron?

It would ba an extreme twist if it turns out that Aida actually was sentient. What if Fitz tries to rebuilt her?

Overall very good episode - pairing of Daisy and Mace is very good idea. It is extremely funny to watch their interactions :-).

Well, considering she *is* someone that was trying to fake an American accent....

Remember, she's still ultimately a scientist. Yes, she's take some lessons from May/improved her fighting and shooting skills. But she was never trained to be an actual spy. Last time she went undercover, she wasn't pretending to be anyone other than herself (she was still Jemma Simmons, it was just that her cover story was that she defected from SHIELD and joined HYDRA). So even if her attempt at an American accent wasn't the greatest, it didn't have to be.

Well, considering she *is* someone that was trying to fake an American accent....

Remember, she's still ultimately a scientist. Yes, she's take some lessons from May/improved her fighting and shooting skills. But she was never trained to be an actual spy. Last time she went undercover, she wasn't pretending to be anyone other than herself (she was still Jemma Simmons, it was just that her cover story was that she defected from SHIELD and joined HYDRA). So even if her attempt at an American accent wasn't the greatest, it didn't have to be.

Didn't Fitz once fake an American accent? I seem to recall he might have, and did a better job of it.

And Parminder Nagra is faking an American accent too, but it doesn't stand out so much.

And both Andrew Garfield and Tom Holland also sound more convincing.

Didn't Fitz once fake an American accent? I seem to recall he might have, and did a better job of it.

And Parminder Nagra is faking an American accent too, but it doesn't stand out so much.

And both Andrew Garfield and Tom Holland also sound more convincing.
Fitz is Fitz, just because he - as a character - clearly practiced an American Accent (if I remember correctly he attributed it to a tv show or something he watched...) doesn't mean that Jemma is going to be the same way.

Parminder is playing an American, hers should be convincing
Andrew Garfield and Tom Holland played/are playing Americans. Theirs should be convincing.

Again, Jemma.... as a character... is a British character pretending to do an American Accent. It doesn't matter if it was a perfect attempt or not because it can be believable either way that Jemma as a character is either good at doing one or not so good at doing one.

Fitz is Fitz, just because he - as a character - clearly practiced an American Accent (if I remember correctly he attributed it to a tv show or something he watched...) doesn't mean that Jemma is going to be the same way.

Parminder is playing an American, hers should be convincing
Andrew Garfield and Tom Holland played/are playing Americans. Theirs should be convincing.

Again, Jemma.... as a character... is a British character pretending to do an American Accent. It doesn't matter if it was a perfect attempt or not because it can be believable either way that Jemma as a character is either good at doing one or not so good at doing one.

Are you saying she only sounds that way because of the way she's playing it as a character? But what if Henstridge sounds that way because that's the only way she can do it in real life (ie a not-very-convincing one)? If she could do one convincingly in real life, why would she not just do that as her character, since Ian does as his character what he's clearly able to do in real life?

I don't think it's down to her playing it that way, but merely that Henstridge simply can't do an American accent convincingly, and sounds exactly like someone who can't do one convincingly who tends to over-emphasise a southern twang.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohkeelay
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"