Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. - S02E18 - "The Frenemy of My Enemy"

^ My guess is that she'll take on the name as early as the finale for S2.

Yeah, that's possible. They may, and this is just speculation (and based on my track record, prolly wrong haha), keep her name as Skye since they already made it very clear what her real identity is. Just as a way to keep it a bit more clear who Skye is for those who have never read the comic books.

As someone that hasn't read the comics, so has no attachment to the name 'Daisy Johnson', it would feel really weird for someone who spent their whole life creating an identity for themselves to just abandon it in favour of their given name. They could use the same code-name without having to also change her chosen name, and it would come off way more natural and not like weird fan-service.

As someone that hasn't read the comics, so has no attachment to the name 'Daisy Johnson', it would feel really weird for someone who spent their whole life creating an identity for themselves to just abandon it in favour of their given name. They could use the same code-name without having to also change her chosen name, and it would come off way more natural and not like weird fan-service.
That's kind of my view as well.

That's the point I was trying to get at in my earlier post but didn't know how to word it nearly as well as you did.

She also spent a lifetime trying to find out who she actually was .

And up until that scene her given name was Mary Sue Poots .

The thing is, Skye, the hacker SHIELD agent is who she is. Daisy Johnson is a girl that grew up with her parents and became a good little Inhuman. She's the life Skye never had, the figment of Cal's imagination that he desperately wants her to be so that he can have his happy little family back. Even now, with elements of SHIELD (she doesn't know how much) she still thinks of herself as a SHIELD agent, and unless that changes drastically I don't see her wanting to change her identity.

Again, I am coming from the perspective of someone that doesn't know her in the comics, but she is Skye, and maybe she is also becoming Quake, but I don't see a way for to want to be Daisy without some serious events that make her want to separate herself from who she is as Skye.

The thing is, Skye, the hacker SHIELD agent is who she is. Daisy Johnson is a girl that grew up with her parents and became a good little Inhuman. She's the life Skye never had, the figment of Cal's imagination that he desperately wants her to be so that he can have his happy little family back. Even now, with elements of SHIELD (she doesn't know how much) she still thinks of herself as a SHIELD agent, and unless that changes drastically I don't see her wanting to change her identity.

Again, I am coming from the perspective of someone that doesn't know her in the comics, but she is Skye, and maybe she is also becoming Quake, but I don't see a way for to want to be Daisy without some serious events that make her want to separate herself from who she is as Skye.

no harm a spy having a few names, good point about skye the hacker being her primeray identity, DJ might pop up on a fake id or a cover name on a mission, few nods that way down the line. Or it could be a name she grows into, maybe cal takes a bullet for her and to honor him she takes the name or she wants to put in a claim for his money and assert herself as a johnson.

I can't wait for the next episode. They managed to do pretty well with juggling and then connecting everyone together.

Hydra isn't just looking for powered people, they seem to be specifically wanting to acquire Gideon due to his teleporting powers, or they know that when he shows up others with special powers aren't too far. If they aren't able to track him teleporting back it must mean they are using cloaking technology.

It's good to see Ward back and just watch him play all the angles. He's still a cold blooded killer, and pushes his limits. After Skye, Cal, and Gideon disappear, he asks Coulson "What now, boss?" It seems like Coulson is wise to it for the most part, but Ward is calling his bluff on giving him a clean slate.

The little things in this episode were great like Fitz with his hand on his firearm and shaking his leg anxiously for an excuse to shoot Ward if he says or crosses the line, while Hunter tries to ease him from doing it. Plus the vials for the Mr. Hyde formula were right there! I thought for sure this would be the episode we see it happen.

The interactions between Cal and Skye was well done, as she knows what he's capable of if they just completely abandon him. Even with Skye there to let him down, albeit ruined by Lincoln spying on them, he didn't take it well at all.

I think Ward should be taken at his word on one thing. Dumping Fitz an simmons in the ocean gave them a chance. I have no doubt that Garrett would have killed them if he hadn't

They were sealed in a room with no way for him to access them. That's one of the few things I don't take Ward at his word for when I think he's been fairly honest since Garrett died.

They were sealed in a room with no way for him to access them. That's one of the few things I don't take Ward at his word for when I think he's been fairly honest since Garrett died.

What that scene ultimately comes down to is that Ward doesn't want to choose between his Christian and Thomas replacements, Garrett and Fitz, so he pulls the fence straddler solution of dropping the container on the ocean hoping for the best for both Fitz and Simmons. What he ends up with is essentially a repetition of The Well, with Fitz drowning just like Thomas almost did all those years ago.

Making easier choices rather than right ones, I think, is one of Ward's major character flaws; it's also reflected on how he seriously considered taking the mind-wipe offer Coulson gave him once the latter marketed it as a fresh start without the baggage. Changing that approach may very well be Ward's arc this season.

Last edited:

what would Garrett have done if Ward told him over the intercom that they locked him out in a room..

What could he have done?

dump them in the ocean maybe? Ward might suggest that? however Garrett might have cut of oxygen? don't know-but Wards way gave them a chance-Garrett would have been no chance.

dump them in the ocean maybe?

Ummm, the comment was about how Garrett would have killed them. It sounds like what you're saying (combined with other comments) is that, had he told Garrett, Garrett would have killed them by dumping them in the ocean. Instead, Ward saved them ... by dumping them in the ocean.

however Garrett might have cut of oxygen?

Do you know that he had any ability to do that?

Ummm, the comment was about how Garrett would have killed them. It sounds like what you're saying (combined with other comments) is that, had he told Garrett, Garrett would have killed them by dumping them in the ocean. Instead, Ward saved them ... by dumping them in the ocean.

Do you know that he had any ability to do that?

you guys are tough-lol- i don't know what Garrett would have done-But neither did Ward. Garrett was nuts. Ward thought he would kill them-i have no idea how. It's a tv show-what can i say

When it happened I thought that Ward really didn't want to kill them. Yes he loves unnecessary violence but I don't think he wanted them dead. He felt that the two smartest people he knew at least had a possibility of somehow making it out. So he wouldn't disappoint Garrett but he also wouldn't kill two people he actually liked.

was the plane flying at low altitude? playing devils advocate and going from vague memory but was it the unusual flying conditions caused it to sink, it was an escape pod, presumably they would be built to float, something would have to be off for it not to. If an engineer who designed an escape pod that sinks to the bottom of the ocean, could not forsee such a senario maybe its credible that ward couldn't either, but still ****ed up.

was the plane flying at low altitude? playing devils advocate and going from vague memory but was it the unusual flying conditions caused it to sink, it was an escape pod, presumably they would be built to float, something would have to be off for it not to. If an engineer who designed an escape pod that sinks to the bottom of the ocean, could not forsee such a senario maybe its credible that ward couldn't either, but still ****ed up.

They explained that in the episode, the container is built to support all SHIELD vehicles, including submarines, so as it fell down it adapted its density to be able to be equipped by a sub and sank.

I think this is all just rationalization. Yes, Ward tells himself "they got a chance to escape". That is how he rationalizes it to himself. Its a lie, just like 90% of everything Ward says to everybody. Ward is just squeamish about killing people he likes up close and personal. . . so he kills them distantly and impersonally instead.

I think this is all just rationalization. Yes, Ward tells himself "they got a chance to escape". That is how he rationalizes it to himself. Its a lie, just like 90% of everything Ward says to everybody. Ward is just squeamish about killing people he likes up close and personal. . . so he kills them distantly and impersonally instead.

As I said above, I don't think it's a case killing distantly and impersonally, but of him not wanting to make a choice between two people he loves, Garrett and Fitz, his Christian and Thomas replacements, so he makes the fence straddler choice and leaves the outcome to luck. Which, ironically enough, just happens to not benefit either side.

I think that's a fair argument. I can buy that Ward believes that's why he did it; I just don't believe that is actually why he did it.

Are they alive or are they dead. since they are alive i'd say he gave 2 smart people a chance.

But would they have had a better chance had he not done that. All the evidence suggests that they were sealed in that room and he had no way of getting to them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohkeelay
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"