Alex Garland's Civil War

Looks like it's a success for A24. They wanted to get into the blockbuster space and it looks like it's working if they get it past $100 million.

Looks like it's a success for A24. They wanted to get into the blockbuster space and it looks like it's working if they get it past $100 million.
Yeah, with a completely mid movie that people probably went to see out of bile fascination due to this being election year.

A24 is so inconsistent, but they’re basically the only studio that can consistently green light mid budget movies. It’s better than nothing.

Well, I finally saw the movie......and, in my opinion, it was shockingly mediocre.

The most frustrating thing about this movie is that it could've been, at his best, the modern day answer to The Day After. A cautionary tale abut how the right and alt-right's bigotry and sense of entitlement is threatening to damage the United States' government and turn it into an American Reich while the left is being mostly complacent for no reason and just acting useless, and how SOMEBODY needs to put both parties in their place....

And yet it doesn't seem to want to do that. Or anything for that matter.

Why make a movie about a theoretical second American Civil War, something the MAGA *******s keep trying to incite and saying they want and yet do NOTHING WITH IT? I KNOW Alex Garland's better than this! He wrote Dredd, 28 Days Later, and Ex Machina for ****'s sake! WTF happened to him? I understand he's British and may not be that in the know on American politics, but between this and Men, it just seems like he now just wants to shock people for no reason without any interesting context for it (the ending to Men especially which was weird and made no sense).

Yeah, with a completely mid movie that people probably went to see out of bile fascination due to this being election year.
Well, I finally saw the movie......and, in my opinion, it was shockingly mediocre.

The most frustrating thing about this movie is that it could've been, at his best, the modern day answer to The Day After. A cautionary tale abut how the right and alt-right's bigotry and sense of entitlement is threatening to damage the United States' government and turn it into an American Reich while the left is being mostly complacent for no reason and just acting useless, and how SOMEBODY needs to put both parties in their place....

Why make a movie about a theoretical second American Civil War, something the MAGA *******s keep trying to incite and saying they want and yet do NOTHING WITH IT? I KNOW Alex Garland's better than this! He wrote Dredd, 28 Days Later, and Ex Machina for ****'s sake! WTF happened to him? I understand he's British and may not be that in the know on American politics, but between this and Men, it just seems like he now just wants to shock people for no reason without any interesting context for it (the ending to Men especially which was weird and made no sense).

It's so funny how you clearly had your mind set before you even saw it.

It's so funny how you clearly had your mind set before you even saw it.
Actually, you'd be surprised. In my earlier posts, I was worried it was going to be a more inciting movie for the alt-right but I ended up disliking movie for completely different reasons. And even then, when going in I tried to be fair and give it a chance regardless. Again, I liked Garland's work most of the time (aside from Men), so I was hoping he'd bring his a-game like usual.

Remember guys we can stop fascism in America if the Left would just focus on winning elections. :o

Remember guys we can stop fascism in America if the Left would just focus on winning elections. :o
Not my point at all. I vote for who I feel would be the best pick for President, regardless of side.

And again, Garland and A24 released this during an election year. It should've had more of a stance of any sort than it did.

I genuinely cannot imagine watching a movie as direct and angry an indictment as Men is and thinking it’s just to shock people lol. I totally get not liking it but that movie could not have a more obvious Point.

Civil War is less engaged with contemporary American politics than you’d think it would be to an almost undeniable fault. But also, like, even though Garland in interviews comes off as an annoying centrist it’s pretty obvious in the movie who the government is meant to represent lol

I genuinely cannot imagine watching a movie as direct and angry an indictment as Men is and thinking it’s just to shock people lol. I totally get not liking it but that movie could not have a more obvious Point.

Civil War is less engaged with contemporary American politics than you’d think it would be to an almost undeniable fault. But also, like, even though Garland in interviews comes off as an annoying centrist it’s pretty obvious in the movie who the government is meant to represent lol
Yeah the President is clearly meant to be Trump. And to be honest I didn't get what the point of Men was. That ending made no sense.

But again, that's just my opinion and you're free to disagree with me on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"