Alex Garland's Men

Saw this last night. Beautifully shot and well acted. Intensely unnerving, creepy and suffocating. Liked it a lot.

Just saw this movie as I loved Ex Machina and enjoyed Annihilation.

Beautifully shot. Great cinematography. Stellar acting. Tension. Weirdness...

But what is it trying to say? Who is it speaking to?

As I woman I found it grotesque and offensive, especially the ending. I just have no idea what he was trying to do here at all.

Just saw this movie as I loved Ex Machina and enjoyed Annihilation.

Beautifully shot. Great cinematography. Stellar acting. Tension. Weirdness...

But what is it trying to say? Who is it speaking to?

As I woman I found it grotesque and offensive, especially the ending. I just have no idea what he was trying to do here at all.
Yeah, I think I hated this. I've been a big fan of Garland's since 28 Days Later, and Annihilation's probably my favorite film of the last decade. But this movie was a mess.

I've no idea what the film was ultimately about (all men suck? generational trauma?), and the use of Rory Kinnear here was just stupid. Maybe being an atheist with only a cursory knowledge of Christianity is a detriment to enjoying this.

I'm just glad I didn't get the chance to see it in theaters. This makes two strikes with Garland after Devs (didn't hate that, just didn't click with it). I'm just bummed that one of my favorite filmmaker's seems to be on a downward spiral.

I've no idea what the film was ultimately about (all men suck? generational trauma?), and the use of Rory Kinnear here was just stupid. Maybe being an atheist with only a cursory knowledge of Christianity is a detriment to enjoying this.

The way I saw it, IMO there are easily at least a few different interpretations/take-aways you can have from this film, that would all probably be equally valid, and I feel like Garland did that on purpose. While the film certainly lacked subtlety, I don't think for a minute that any creative decision Garland made wasn't on purpose.

I feel like at least a couple of the interpretations I personally drew from it might very well be offensive to some segments of people, so there's definitely that.

I saw this the other day. I’m honestly not sure what I thought about it. It has some obvious comments about misogyny and women constantly being forced to live in fear due to s****y men who think they are entitled to their attention, but I had to look up some of the pagan religious stuff to (maybe?) understand what Garland was trying to say there. But the ending… I really don’t know what the overall message was. I read some analyses of it and I’m not sure anyone really knows except Garland I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"