Alex Livinalli is Attuma

I was glad to learn Attuma was in this. Had no idea till recently.

Attuma was pretty one note as most of the Talokan warriors in the film.

Would've served as a better villain for the story rather than Namor considering Namor's background.

Attuma wouldn’t work as main villain- even not for a Namor movie now.
Namor is far more powerful due to his mutation.

Oh well.

They could use Tiger Shark for Marvel Studios' Namor.

Last edited:
Attuma wouldn’t work as main villain- even not for a Namor movie now.
Namor is far more powerful due to his mutation.
It's not impossible to power him up. Give him an artifact like the Serpent Crown or the Hammer of Nerkkod (but disconnected from Cul), or something like that.

tumblr_p6281mgwGj1ustjjko1_1280.jpg

attuma-117949.jpg

Last edited:
Attuma...definitely loved his fight scenes as a warrior he was a warrior in every sense of the word

I really like the idea with the serpent crown, but I read somewhere, that the rights belong to the Conan lore

I really like the idea with the serpent crown, but I read somewhere, that the rights belong to the Conan lore
It shouldn't be. AFAIK it was an original creation by Marvel that first appeared in Sub-Mariner #9 and not something taken from Howard's work, even though it was later on retconned into being Lemurian in origin and tied up with Marvel's Conan lore.

But even if it somehow was, they could rename it to something more fitting with the MCU's Talokan setting like how they used Shuma-Gorath's design and called it "Gargantos".

Although I do wonder what its origin would be then. In the comics it's supposed to wield the power of the evil elder god Set (who is named after the Egyptian deity but has pretty much nothing in common with him). But it's hard to adapt that to the Yucatan Maya culture since K'uk'ulkan is already the serpent god, and he's supposed to be a protector. So they'd have to change that somehow.

What you could maybe do is have something like the "Crown of Camazotz" take the place of the Serpent Crown narratively, and base the design on a mix of Attuma's winged helmet with the design of the death-bat god.
Zotz_en_Guate.jpg

Last edited:
Attuma was easily a wasted character in this film and probably should've been the real villain. All they do with Attuma in the movie is a half-baked rivalry with Okoye.
Eh, I like that Attuma stayed on Namor's side the whole time here. Establishes him as a threat without rushing his turn. If anyone should have been "the real villain" here it's the CIA.

Eh, I like that Attuma stayed on Namor's side the whole time here. Establishes him as a threat without rushing his turn. If anyone should have been "the real villain" here it's the CIA.

Another wasted subplot in the film they set up and build up and just abandon midway through the movie.

Either its a set up for the neXt movie or for the Disney+ shows.

OK but it's not satisfying to build up and set up a conflict like that throughout such a long movie and then just abandon it by the end. Like we get no coda or any denouement regarding the CIA, US government, and Secretary of State. All we get is a scene with Ross being busted out of his prison transport.

There needed to be a scene where Shuri declares herself the new Black Panther to the rest of the world, and the CIA/UN/US decides to back off, at least for now.

Something that would at least indicate there are no more charges against Riri and it's safe for her to return home, considering the authorities were ready to take her away.

In fact, the CIA/US is set up to be the natural antagonist in the movie more than Namor who feels shoehorned into the film.

There wasn’t a whole lot to the character but the fight scene I thought was decent.

I don't know why Ryan Coogler used Attuma and gave him zero personality. Both he and Namora are henchmen with zero character.

Its a movie with a giant ass cast, ultimately some characters are going to get stuck with functional roles. In this case, it happened to be Attume and Namora being Namor's lieutenants and little else. Giving them more screen time and script time to flesh them out would pretty much have to come at the expense of someone else, given how long the movie is, and there aren't exactly an abundance of characters available who aren't critical either structurally or emotionally. I suppose you could cut out almost the entire Ross/Val subplot, but that isn't exactly going to buy you much screen time to play with.

( Yes, in theory careful writing and directing can make a difference, but given that Coogler was already playing against some massive difficulty modifiers vis a vis "I am trying to build an entire movie out of the remnants left by the death of the central actor"? I'm am disinclined to tell him "you should have been a better director". The dude had an almost impossible task. )

Its a movie with a giant ass cast, ultimately some characters are going to get stuck with functional roles. In this case, it happened to be Attume and Namora being Namor's lieutenants and little else. Giving them more screen time and script time to flesh them out would pretty much have to come at the expense of someone else, given how long the movie is, and there aren't exactly an abundance of characters available who aren't critical either structurally or emotionally. I suppose you could cut out almost the entire Ross/Val subplot, but that isn't exactly going to buy you much screen time to play with.

( Yes, in theory careful writing and directing can make a difference, but given that Coogler was already playing against some massive difficulty modifiers vis a vis "I am trying to build an entire movie out of the remnants left by the death of the central actor"? I'm am disinclined to tell him "you should have been a better director". The dude had an almost impossible task. )
Eh. I've seen plenty of movies with giant A cast. Talokan was basically Namor, his mom through a flashback scene, 2 henchmen and eXtras.

Giving those two some personality wouldn't eat up the whole movie....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"