Homecoming All the technical details of this deal

XtremelyBaneful

xoxxxoooxo
Reaction score
Okay, I made this thread because I'm hearing mixed things circling about and for everyone's and my own sake, want to clear up some misconceptions.

Here's the one I know: Sony did not sell the film rights of Spiderman back to Disney but rather, they made a deal.

This is the only thing I know. Here's what I'd like to know to clear up the confusion:

-Is there a split in profit for box office revenue?

-Does Sony get anything from the Disney films that Spidey will appear in?

-Does Disney get anything from Sony's standalone Spidey films?

-Is there a split in profit for merchandising rights now? As it stands this is how they made most of the money off Spiderman, and before the deal, Disney owned it all.

-Where does Avi Arad stand in all of this? As I understand it, he never wanted this to happen and he's the reason it hasn't been happening.

-Is Disney still trying to acquire Spidey entirely despite the compromise?

-Is Disney trying to acquire Sony Pictures altogether (this is a rumor spurred by IGN)

there's probably more questions here but this is the purpose of my thread. To get answers on the more technical, less finer details of this deal.

The IGN article does cite sources (anonymous) but it does answer a few of your questions.

No revenue split. Marvel get's 100% gross on their own movies which can now feature Spiderman. Sony gets 100% gross on their movies, which now take place in the MCU.

I've heard that Arad is out and will be featured as a Producer "In name only".

It's all speculation at this point, we may never see the legal particulars.

The IGN article does cite sources (anonymous) but it does answer a few of your questions.

No revenue split. Marvel get's 100% gross on their own movies which can now feature Spiderman. Sony gets 100% gross on their movies, which now take place in the MCU.

So the sm movie gross is all going to sony and none to marvel? If that is the cause then why make this deal if you are marvel?

Arad is Executive Producer (effectively in name only), not Producer in name only.

So the sm movie gross is all going to sony and none to marvel? If that is the cause then why make this deal if you are marvel?

Marvel has merchandizing rights on Spider-Man...the more Spidey appears in films the more Spidey cups, and hats and notebooks they can sell.

to put it in perspective George Lucas is not a millionaire off Star Wars...he is a millionaire of Star Wars merchandizing.

Okay, I made this thread because I'm hearing mixed things circling about and for everyone's and my own sake, want to clear up some misconceptions.

Here's the one I know: Sony did not sell the film rights of Spiderman back to Disney but rather, they made a deal.

This is the only thing I know. Here's what I'd like to know to clear up the confusion:

-Is there a split in profit for box office revenue? no

-Does Sony get anything from the Disney films that Spidey will appear in? no

-Does Disney get anything from Sony's standalone Spidey films? no

-Is there a split in profit for merchandising rights now? As it stands this is how they made most of the money off Spiderman, and before the deal, Disney owned it all. no

-Where does Avi Arad stand in all of this? As I understand it, he never wanted this to happen and he's the reason it hasn't been happening. he is executive producer with no input

-Is Disney still trying to acquire Spidey entirely despite the compromise? not at the moment

-Is Disney trying to acquire Sony Pictures altogether (this is a rumor spurred by IGN) who knows?

there's probably more questions here but this is the purpose of my thread. To get answers on the more technical, less finer details of this deal.
hope that helps

Marvel has merchandizing rights on Spider-Man...the more Spidey appears in films the more Spidey cups, and hats and notebooks they can sell.

to put it in perspective George Lucas is not a millionaire off Star Wars...he is a millionaire of Star Wars merchandizing.

George Lucas is a billionaire. :woot:

I saw the ign article and it said Disney is allegedly trying to acquire Sony pictures... that's a pretty big part of Sony so if they acquire that that's a huge huge loss to Sony (not loss in money but in size)
hope that helps

it does, but if this is really the way it is, I don't see how Sony benefits much from it. It's just a gamble, because it seems they're just now hoping spiderman will be more popular because it is now part of the bigger picture. but like ultron 5 suggested, if the movie sucks, it is all moot.

What would've benefited them was getting some of the merchandising rights because THAT's where most of the money is made. If they're not getting any of that, how exactly does this help them?

I saw the ign article and it said Disney is allegedly trying to acquire Sony pictures... that's a pretty big part of Sony so if they acquire that that's a huge huge loss to Sony (not loss in money but in size)

it does, but if this is really the way it is, I don't see how Sony benefits much from it. It's just a gamble, because it seems they're just now hoping spiderman will be more popular because it is now part of the bigger picture. but like ultron 5 suggested, if the movie sucks, it is all moot.

What would've benefited them was getting some of the merchandising rights because THAT's where most of the money is made. If they're not getting any of that, how exactly does this help them?

From what I understand here's how it went down.
Marvel offers Billions for Spider-Man
Sony countered with the lease program
Sony benefits because they now can reboot Spider-man and do him justice without bad influences (Avi Arad)
Marvel benefits because they get more merchandizing money for Spider-man

From what I understand here's how it went down.
Marvel offers Billions for Spider-Man
Sony countered with the lease program
Sony benefits because they now can reboot Spider-man and do him justice without bad influences (Avi Arad)
Marvel benefits because they get more merchandizing money for Spider-man
Marvel was fine either way. Sony was the one who should've been desperate and even so - seeing how they're a sinking ship, I don't know how this deal is supposed to help them that much - financially that is.

I wonder if Marvel can use Spider-Man related chars in their movies now.

Marvel was fine either way. Sony was the one who should've been desperate and even so - seeing how they're a sinking ship, I don't know how this deal is supposed to help them that much - financially that is.

Sony gets a movie attached to the white hot MCU...let's face it at this point Marvel could put out "The Room" and people would flock to it.

Oh I didn't think about that but doesn't marvel already won the rights to the merchandizs? I guess the better more successful the movie is though the better the merchandiz will sale.

Oh I didn't think about that but doesn't marvel already won the rights to the merchandizs? I guess the better more successful the movie is though the better the merchandiz will sale.

You know what's better than merchandizing from one successful movie...merchandizing from two

See my reply in this thread. A "bad" Spidey movie at Marvel's hands will still seem like heaven compared to the purgatory the franchise was before.

I thought sony still has creative control of the solo spiderman movies

I thought sony still has creative control of the solo spiderman movies

Nah, just final say, and they're not in the position to turn down anything marvel, the people willing to make them billions in this situation, has to say

You know what's better than merchandizing from one successful movie...merchandizing from two

Right, plus how many different permutations can you make for character likenesses on lunch boxes, t-shirts, and other things. Now they could have:

SM and IM
SM and Cap
SM, Cap, Thor
SM, IM, Hulk

and on and on and on.

Nah, just final say, and they're not in the position to turn down anything marvel, the people willing to make them billions in this situation, has to say
but is this confirmed?
Right, plus how many different permutations can you make for character likenesses on lunch boxes, t-shirts, and other things. Now they could have:

SM and IM
SM and Cap
SM, Cap, Thor
SM, IM, Hulk

and on and on and on.
they already do that i'm pretty sure

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"