All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
first Wes i agree with you and welcome, but i think you are in the wrong forum talking about this......the mods will probably say it eventually if you keep on about this....just saying:cwink:

Thanks Manofsteel4life...I was asking for people's opinions of Cavill as I haven't seen him in anything yet. We did kinda get sidetracked.

Fallacy on you. I never said he sucked. I'd say he ranges from average to slightly above. Speaking of which, did anyone see him as a young man in an adaptation of "Treasure Island"? It was interesting.

Johnny Depp is an example of a brilliant actor. He's little to nothing like any of his characters, and undergoes a complete transformation in personality, body language, speech tonality, everything.

Line up Captain Jack Sparrow, Edward Scissorhands, and Sweeney Todd, and they have NOTHING in common except they have Depp's face. His characters are living, breathing entities that convince you they're real.

Fair enough. You never said he sucked. I agree with you on Johnny Depp. I would argue that, while not all of Bale's roles are different from each other, he does show range and depth...I think The Fighter and The Machinist show that. Anyway...

To change the subject...I think Amy Adams is going to kill it as Lois. I've liked her since her guest starring role on the first season of The Office.

That's a pretty big statement to make.

Oh my, while I'll concede that Cain and Routh are both OK(nothing that would be especially hard to top however) certainly you can't be implying that it would be hard to be a better actor than Tom Welling?

That isn't that hard to do. Those guys were all ok...

Is he as good as Bale, Norton, Downey Jr., McAvoy, Fassbender, Ledger, or Eckhart? Is he on the level with some other great actors who have taken on these iconic superhero roles. He is arguably taking on the biggest of them all.

I've watched a lot of his work now. You can tell he lacks experience, but he has two things going for him 1. He has very natural body language 2. He is wonderful at expressing emotion without words.

The only thing that I would fault him on is his delivery of lines, which I noticed in a few Tudors clips can come off a bit 'rehearsed' if you know what i mean. But i've also seen plenty of Tudors clips were he's nailed it completely, so it's all gravy.

The thing is though, OF COURSE he's not going to be as good as those guys. He has had very little experience.

But he does have the raw talent, and from what i've seen of him in interviews, he certainly has Bale's dedication to roles.

His films usually happen to be better than he is. TDK is a prime example.

Go watch American Psycho and The Machinist, they are huge performance driven pieces and Bale is absolutely immersed in them.
Bale is the reason they were so great.
And he was brilliant in The Fighter.

Fallacy on you. I never said he sucked. I'd say he ranges from average to slightly above. Speaking of which, did anyone see him as a young man in an adaptation of "Treasure Island"? It was interesting.

Johnny Depp is an example of a brilliant actor. He's little to nothing like any of his characters, and undergoes a complete transformation in personality, body language, speech tonality, everything.

Line up Captain Jack Sparrow, Edward Scissorhands, and Sweeney Todd, and they have NOTHING in common except they have Depp's face. His characters are living, breathing entities that convince you they're real.

Depp is one of the most creative, versatile, unique actors of all time.
But using him as your standard of comparison would lump 90% of actors in the world into the "average" category.
I prefer actors who are like chameleons and Bale is most definitely a chameleon.
I really don't understand how you think he's average unless you're only using the Batman films to form your opinion.
But s'all good, I'm not belittling your opinion, just saying I couldn't disagree more lol.
Depp and Bale are among my top 5 favorites of all time.

About comic book characters.

Yes, and not the other way around. "It's comics" doesn't define a movie.

If you re gonna make it all realistic, you might as well go shoot a social drama or whatever.

Oh God. Could we really take a comic book movie to a whole new superior level where superheroes can be taken in a truly serious way? God, no.

Oh God. Could we really take a comic book movie to a whole new superior level where superheroes can be taken in a truly serious way? God, no.
Why, its meant to be escapist stories. Why do their suits determine whether the movie is serious or not?
Did they tone down Harry Potter or LOTR to make them more serious?

For some reason, The Man of Steel wikipedia page claims Hugh Laurie and Rutina Wesley (Tara from True Blood) have joined the cast.

Only putting that out there before someone else does.

can someone repost the edited picture of the Superman #1 suit with the yellow belt, red trunks and redone boots???

For some reason, The Man of Steel wikipedia page claims Hugh Laurie and Rutina Wesley (Tara from True Blood) have joined the cast.

Hehe. There were those rumour of Laurie playing Perry White.

CLARK: Mr. White, Lex Luthoir is obviously lying.
PERRY: Everybody lies.
CLARK: But we can't let him get away with it.
PERRY: Ah, yes, but as the philosopher Jagger once said, 'You can't always get what you want.'

hm could hugh be back as perry?

Yes, and not the other way around. "It's comics" doesn't define a movie.

I agree.

Why, its meant to be escapist stories. Why do their suits determine whether the movie is serious or not?
Did they tone down Harry Potter or LOTR to make them more serious?

Superheroes aren't really escapist fantasy, at least not in the same category of Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings.

Yes. A good serious movie with super-powers is escapist, but not JUST escapist.

Everything in a movie detrmines that.

Haven't read the books. But the wardrobe looked pretty serious, no duckie yellow.

I agree, though I didn't hate the X-Men: First Class costumes.

Rutina could be playing one of the characters in Africa, if true. This could make sense.

Go watch American Psycho and The Machinist, they are huge performance driven pieces and Bale is absolutely immersed in them.
Bale is the reason they were so great.
And he was brilliant in The Fighter.

Depp is one of the most creative, versatile, unique actors of all time.
But using him as your standard of comparison would lump 90% of actors in the world into the "average" category.
I prefer actors who are like chameleons and Bale is most definitely a chameleon.
I really don't understand how you think he's average unless you're only using the Batman films to form your opinion.
But s'all good, I'm not belittling your opinion, just saying I couldn't disagree more lol.
Depp and Bale are among my top 5 favorites of all time.

Thanks Zero-Ethic for saying what I was trying to, but much more eloquently.

Yes.

(I think he is better actor than Dean Cain, Tom Welling and Brandon Routh, IMO. Is that enough ?)

I agree but would not mention Tom Welling in the same breath as those other gentlemen; Cain and Routh are actors.

It's 6:15PM EST....I haven't heard the "bombshell" announcements from Lee & Johns.
WTF is going on?
I thought today was the big day!

It's 6:15PM EST....I haven't heard the "bombshell" announcements from Lee & Johns.
WTF is going on?
I thought today was the big day!

Johns' and Lee's panel starts at 7:40 L.A. time. So 10:40 for us.

Thanks Manofsteel4life...I was asking for people's opinions of Cavill as I haven't seen him in anything yet. We did kinda get sidetracked.

i gotchya....and i hope i didnt offend you any way

Fair enough. You never said he sucked. I agree with you on Johnny Depp. I would argue that, while not all of Bale's roles are different from each other, he does show range and depth...I think The Fighter and The Machinist show that. Anyway...

To change the subject...I think Amy Adams is going to kill it as Lois. I've liked her since her guest starring role on the first season of The Office.

i agree

Johns' and Lee's panel starts at 7:40 L.A. time. So 10:40 for us.

Thanks. I hope we get full specs on the suit.
I hope, I PRAY that they confirm that the new suit IS the suit that will be in MOS!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
japanorsomewher
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"