• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Comics Amazing Spider-Man #615 preview (spoilers)

Can't wait... looks like fun... :up:

does this remind anyone of that Scene in Spectacular spider-Man(cartoon) when he builds the castle for the little girl on the beach?

Now that you say that.....yes :hyper:

I'm so glad Sandman's back I love him

Wow, am I impressed with Van Lente!

At first I was slightly put off by the art, but by the end of this fantastic issue I got use to it. Pulido's style reminds me more of an indy rendition, something one would see in a Vertigo line or something; and after the last few 'stylized' ASM issues, I was ready from some more classic stuff. Oh well. My favorite panels are when Spidey leaps over Sandman's ram charge and when we first see Spidey sporting winter gear!

This is solid script writing to the max, from the young child scene, to the memorable Jonah and Robertson convo, all the way through Spidey's latest who-dun-it mystery! Van Lente does a wonderful job at seamlessly picking up where Waid left us at the DB decimation. In merely two pages, we receive a warm interaction from the two iconic former Daily Bugle leaders, and because we haven't seen them together in such a long time, it was that much more satisfying. (I'd like to also note that JMS would of annoyingly spent half the issue on this which is an example of why I don't miss him on the book.)

Overall this issue reveals how much fun the latest cast shakeup is. Glory Grant dispatching Peter from the mayor's office for damage control has an ironic twist which segues nicely to Carlie Cooper and her latest development of seemingly being framed for tampering with crime scene evidence. We even get Betty Brant involved even though the DB is defunct. It's all very fun especially the Sandman / Spidey fight sequences.

Geez guys, I'm givinig this an -A!

-------------------------------
Combustible Pumpkins

Last edited:
All rightly, here’s my more in-depth review and thoughts about this issue:

*First of all, I’m a real sucker for mysteries, and this was no exception. I really liked the set-up Fred Ven Lente had here, in that you have a “locked-room” scenario combined with what looks like a series of serial murders all pointing towards the Sandman who is very likely innocent. After all, it’s clear from the dialogue that Flint Marko has no idea what Spider-Man is talking about when he mentions to murders; and quite frankly, why would he even use weapons on his victims--much less leave them at the scene of the crime--when he can literally create his own from his own body? But of course, this brings up a whole series of questions? If it wasn’t the Sandman, who was the real killer? And how did they get into the evidence locker undetected? And why would they take the weapons? Is Sandman being framed and by who? Is it the Kravinoffs somehow trying to manipulate Sandman into joining them in their revenge scheme? A lot of intriguing possibilities here.

*Also, Van Lente has a very good handle of characterization and dialogue, here, and his portrayal of Spider-Man as an amateur sleuth is a nice change of pace. There’s a funny moment in which Van Lente pokes fun at Batman’s uncanny ability to disappear whenever talking to a source by having Spidey seemingly leave Betty unnoticed, only to then appear behind her later. Also, even though I still believe it’s overdoing the destruction of the Daily Bugle, we get a wonderful scene between Jonah and Robbie which underscores what a deep friendship these two have, united by their common experience despite their different philosophies. It’s quite possibly one of the best scenes between the two I can remember.

*Javier Pulido’s art I also thought was very well utilized in this issue, as he’s definitely channeling Steve Ditko’s work on Spider-Man, especially in the climatic battle Spidey has with the Sandman. I liked how he decides to show Spidey wearing winter garb over his costume, as it’s certainly something that would be common sense considering Spidey IS just wearing tights. Also, the beginning pages showing Sandman’s daughter Keemia (or is she REALLY another construct created by the Sandman?) enjoying her time as a “princess” in “Daddy’s kingdom,” which, along with Van Lente’s narration, gives the entire sequence encapsulates innocence, but also instills a sense of the surreal, and also a sense of dread--much like an actual dream. Oh, and I liked the touch where, in demonstrating his ability to replicate himself, the Sandman is depicted in various forms--including his god awful Frightful Four costume.

*There were still some drawbacks, however. First of all, I thought the scene at City Hall with Glory Grant showing Peter the proposed “Freedom of the Press Tower” was pretty tasteless, but then again, I suppose that was the idea. Also, while I appreciate Carlie Cooper showing up and being written by someone other than Dan Slott, she still a very bland character and potential love interest, and is more or less a means to an end to set up the mystery. Also, the scene which Spidey gets a vital clue from Betty, I thought the idea that Betty is now getting inside information from her roommate, Glory, via her talking in her sleep was really corny. Not to mention it makes Betty a real lousy friend and even ****tier reporter if she has to resort to getting information from her friend without her consent, much less something as unreliable as that same friend talking in her sleep and taking that as gospel (It also brought up a question of whether or not this was a revelation that Betty and Glory have entered into a lesbian relationship, but I digress).

Still, despite the fact that I may have a pretty good idea how this particular story is going to turn out, this was still a very solid and enjoyable issue, and definitely the kind of thing “The Gauntlet” story arc needs to do more of in terms of setting up their upgraded villains. I’m really looking forward to what is likely going to be a big, knock-down drag out issue length fight between Spidey and Sandman, and having already seen preview pages for it, it does indeed look to be pretty good.

Yes, the sleep talking is ridiculous and reaching pretty far.
Other than that I thought the story was great. Art was also great. Didn't expect the ending. Can't wait for part two.
I think the murderer should be someone we have met before though. If it's a nobody that would be kinda crappy.

I'm a little peeved at the insinuation that this 'duplicating' of himself is a new power for Sandman. He's done this at least once before - a while ago in the PP:SM series (I think) - in say, 2003/2004.

Aside from that, great set-up issue, looking forward to the conclusion. I loved the art as well - almost a throwback to the early John Romita days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"