• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Comics Amazing Spider-Man 602 Preview

First review of this issue is now up on Comic Bulletin:

http://www.comicsbulletin.com/reviews/

Hmm, so
Peter's new job helps to re-establish the old Daily Bugle ensemble in a very different location, huh? Well, since we know Glory Grant is Jonah's new press secretary, I wonder if that means Peter is hired to take publicity photos for the mayor's office?

And a cliffhanger where MJ is going to be very important for the chapter, and that, according to the reviewer, still has a stigma of "One More Day" about her? I guess that means MJ not only knows Peter is Spider-Man, she's the one who has to rescue him somehow, perhaps helping him get away from the "Mandroids?"

Oh well, guess we'll see tomorrow.

Read the review, looks like a greatly written and draw issue. Can't wait to pick it up.

Great issue; I find it amusing that Marvel spoiled the cliffhanger with this one page on this interview.

Well, here are my overall thoughts on this issue:

First of all, this seemed more like the start of the actual "Red-Headed Stranger" arc, considering how last issue felt more like filler in-between stories. And if this is supposed to be a story arc within a story arc, it wasn't too bad per see.

*Fred Van Lente seems to have a knack for taking B and C list villains and making them intimidating and dangerous (not to mention have "faceless heads" and norish narrative captions.) The way he was portrayed seemed like a mix of The Day of the Jackal and Silence of the Lambs, in that he's now a shadowy domestic terrorist/serial killer. What I thought was effectively creepy was the Chameleon seems incapable of speaking unless he's copying another person's voice. Not to mention the way he creates his disguises also double as a means of suffocating his victims.
*And I also liked the cliffhanger. Oh, sure, we know Peter going to somehow manage to get out of this. But it does set up a nice pickle for MJ, thinking she's going to catch up with Peter. And if she still knows Peter is Spider-Man (and I do believe she does) it creates further tension due to her unknowingly slipping up, and that her knowing Peter is Spider-Man would be the only thing to make her realize "Peter" is an impostor.
*Speaking of the vivacious, happy-go-lucky redhead, it was a nice scene she had with Harry. She's definitely back to being her old self, putting on the smile and breezy charm. By contrast, you can tell Harry is far more dour and depressed, which served as a nice comparison and showed that not everything is like the "good old days." Wouldn't surprise me if after he walked out on his father, Harry lost all access to the trust fund. Being of low income like Peter is certainly something Harry is not used to and I have a feeling he's not going to take it very well.
*Now, I'm not so sure about Peter's new job as being the official photographer for the mayor's press office. I mean, sure, he's back with Jonah and Glory Grant and the dynamic that involves (with the added twist that Glory is now Peter's boss), but it's still technically the same deal as the Daily Bugle only now at City Hall, so it doesn't really feel all that different or new. Although, I suppose Peter is potentially in the odd position of being a source for Frontline and how that could comprise things. Although it seems odd that Jonah would have been elected mayor considering how much he's spending to capture Spider-Man--as though his old Daily Bugle readers couldn't already figure out he had it in for him BEFORE electing him to office.
*The fight between Slyde was somewhat amusing, and a nice twist that it was actually a cop trying to bait Spider-Man with Jonah's newly acquired Manroids.
*And yet no proper follow-up for what happened last issue with Michelle? As I feared, it really was passed off as Parker Luck and not be touched upon for the rest of this story arc, despite the fact it involved whether or not he slept with his roommate.
*And while Kitson's artwork was okay, it still looks pretty stiff and generic in some places.

Overall, not a bad story. Decent in some places, but pretty slow paced in others. Although hopefully, next issue will have some satisfying tension.

Last edited:
In contrast to stillanerd, I thought the issue breezed by. I was reading, page and page and then ... done.

I love the twist with Slyde, nice use of a mandatory Spidey "action scene", but using it to effect the story and give some nice dialoge for Jonah.

I dont know what the word has been on the art, but i have loved it. It can look stiff, but i just think, its the style almost of old and new, has a nice mix.

But the sell for me was Chameleon, he's going to take a great spike up in his ranking, cause the sell of domestic terrorism serves the character perfectly. The beginning, notting all the styles of terrorism that happened, to how he elmeinated his first victim, to his capture of Pete and taking his guise...just worked perfect. And i also like that he has to speak only in the voice of the person he steals from.

Great issue... though I thought it was funny that the Chameleon sees "MJ" on the cell phone, and then calls her "Mary Jane" as he speaks to her... though he looks like he's looking through Peter's wallet...

:yay:

Really liked # 602. Very happy that Alberti was not on the artwork and that it was Kitson. It was WAY easier on the eyes this time around. Lots of story was told in this issue and some good progression with Pete, Jameson, and Glory Grant. Scene between MJ and Harry Osborn was good. And the awesome cliffhanger ending that Spider-Man comics have always been known for.

Plus a super extra creepy and a super extra dangerous Chameleon. Love what Van Lente has done with the character. Overall another solid issue of Spider-Man and can't wait for next week. Keep it comin'! :woot:

I'm very curious to see how Pete got himself out of that situation at the end. Will be interesting to see how it was done!

Lots of story was told in this issue and some good progression with Pete, Jameson, and Glory Grant.

Progression? You mean change scenery from newspaper office to mayors office?

Progression? You mean change scenery from newspaper office to mayors office?

No, I meant progression of the overall storyline that's going on right now. They've moved it along nicely so far. Normally in a lot of these story arcs they drag things out issue by issue. Just a lot actually got accomplished in one issue. Very pleased about that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"