Amazon's Rings of Power - General Discussion Thread (SPOILERS)

Something is going on with this show and my gut tells me it ain't good.

I mean, amazon has deep pockets and they may have given them a little too much leeway regarding this thing lol.

We really know very little about this show. Other than that it's going to be one of the most expensive TV shows of all time.

That’s ok - they replaced Stuart Townsend with Viggo Mortensen during filming LotR...the rest is cinema history

So is the guy expressing his love of Lord of the Rings and it the production or does he not know the songs meaning and is say working on the show was hell? I see the song used in the wrong context so much I usually end up wondering if the user knows what it's about. Maybe it's a me thing because when I think of a once in a lifetime love not I had a great time working on this production.

I didn't mean to quote terry78 and didn't realize I had until after I had edited my post.

Last edited:
We don't really know what the guy's role is and what was changed. So hard for me to really question this move.

All three LOTR live-action movies went through many changes and permutations. A lot of ideas were filmed and later cut or never made it into theatrical versions or extended editions. IE Arwen going to Helm's Deep, which let's be honest, was stupid.

I agree we don't know anything about his role and very little about what the series will be, so it may not mean anything at all, but there have been several red flags so far.

I agree we don't know anything about his role and very little about what the series will be, so it may not mean anything at all, but there have been several red flags so far.

To me the biggest red flag is we've really seen or been shown nothing. Everything about this production is shrouded in secrecy. What little we know about we know from trade sites or casting stories. Like we know about the map and second age, but we've got no teasers, no footage, no posters, nothing. Like give us a cast list or a summary or something. Or a two-line synopsis.

To me the biggest red flag is we've really seen or been shown nothing. Everything about this production is shrouded in secrecy. What little we know about we know from trade sites or casting stories. Like we know about the map and second age, but we've got no teasers, no footage, no posters, nothing. Like give us a cast list or a summary or something. Or a two-line synopsis.

The synopsis that TheOneRing revealed was (shockingly) real, multiple Hollywood trades confirmed that including Variety and Deadline. Problem is, the synopsis didn't reveal much beyond what we already knew - except that there will be stories beyond the furthest reaches of the map, or something to that effect, which of course sparked renewed interest in the Blue Wizards and their storylines.

The synopsis that TheOneRing revealed was (shockingly) real, multiple Hollywood trades confirmed that including Variety and Deadline. Problem is, the synopsis didn't reveal much beyond what we already knew - except that there will be stories beyond the furthest reaches of the map, or something to that effect, which of course sparked renewed interest in the Blue Wizards and their storylines.

Fair, but still kind of vague.

Poor guy missing out on a personal level at any rate.

This kind of stuff happens but my bigger take-away is that if they are going back and redoing stuff on the two episodes it took the like a year to make, then we might get S1 around, say, 2025.

Wasn't Naomie Watts or someone supposed to be Cersei?
She was supposed to be in the GOT spin-off that got cancelled. IIRC, the only major replacements in the first pilot for GOT were Daenerys and Catelyn.

Amazon can throw all the money at it they want, if the writers aren't up to the task then this thing is fooked. We've seen what their money alone is worth on the gaming side of things and it wasn't pretty. They've had more success with television, but this LOTR project is a monumental task. Making something in the second age means you're adapting a wiki page essentially, so much is going to have to be invented whole cloth. We all saw what GOT was like when it had source material and when it didn't.

I want to love this show. It has enormous potential. Amazon do appear to be taking it very seriously and I think visually it will do us proud. I'm just very anxious about the writing.

I mean, the showrunners haven't worked on anything else before and they were hired to do such a gargantuan project. And while they could end up doing a great job, it's obvious that Amazon wanted some "yes man" for the job, with quite possibly very limited creative freedom.

We really don't know anything about this show. My skepticism aside, what is ready known unless I've missed something? One Instagram post doesn't say much. This thing is huge and they're just busy filming right now. Plus COVID really set things back so it makes the wait seem like there's something wrong. It's too early to say there's trouble.

Last edited:
That confirms Fellowship Of Fans' reporting from a few weeks ago: glad to see his scoops being proven true.
As an aside, LOTRonPrime also posted this for Tolkien Reading Day (which is already underway in New Zealand):

This kind of stuff happens but my bigger take-away is that if they are going back and redoing stuff on the two episodes it took the like a year to make, then we might get S1 around, say, 2025.
No way that long. No chance. 2023 at the latest in mu opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"