Anna Borden and Ryan Fleck are the Directors

Dyson

Civilian
Reaction score
Who do you think would be a good choice to direct Captain Marvel?

Seeing that Ant-Man writer Adam McKay has been talking with Marvel Studios about taking on a character, I think he would be an interesting pick for this.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

I'm wondering if Marvel would give Patty Jenkins another chance.

Jennifer Lee... Michelle McLaren...

I would love it if they stole Drew Goddard away from Sinister Six too for this.

Call me crazy, but I'd kinda like to see Joss Whedon take on this film if the Russos end up taking over for Infinity War. I was admittedly not much of a Whedon fan prior to Avengers, but he does seem to really excel at times with female characters.

I think Jon Favreau needs to make a return to the MCU with this one.

I think Jon Favreau needs to make a return to the MCU with this one.

Interesting! I like Favreau a lot, but I think it would be a much larger scope than anything else he's attempted before. I bet that he'd figure out a way to write Black Widow into the story... :cwink:

I would love it if they stole Drew Goddard away from Sinister Six too for this.
This was my exact first thought as well. I feel like the 3 year wait gives that Sinister Six project plenty of time to fall apart and free him up. :cwink:

Also, Doug Liman. And yes, I want Emily Blunt as Capt. Marvel so an Edge of Tomorrow reunion for the two would make me happy. I thought they both did great work on that film.

Obviously Whedon would be awesome, but I'm not convinced that he won't be back for Infinity War. Even if he doesn't direct, I still think he'll write it. He's a big fan of the IG in the comics and I can't believe he wouldn't want a crack at Thanos.

I doubt Whedon would be the main writer, since he'll likely/hopefully be hard at work on writing the massive undertaking that will be Infinity War 1 & 2 just as soon as he finishes taking his well-deserved his break from all the AoU hullabaloo...but I could see him doing a pass on it or a revision like he did on CA:TFA.

And yes, I'm still crossing my fingers that the Russo's taking over the Avengers rumor was rubbish, not because I have anything against them, but because I see this as Whedon's Avengers saga and want him to see it through to it's conclusion. After Infinity War, I'd be thrilled to see the Russo's take over, though.

Also, Doug Liman.

I was really hoping that he would get the Ant Man gig after the whole Edgar Wright thing. I would not be against him taking the helm of Captain Marvel either.

I'd also be kinda interested in a Paul Greengrass Captain Marvel. Maybe we'll kill off a Matt Damon Mar-Vell while we're at it.

I was really hoping that he would get the Ant Man gig after the whole Edgar Wright thing. I would not be against him taking the helm of Captain Marvel either.

I'd also be kinda interested in a Paul Greengrass Captain Marvel. Maybe we'll kill off a Matt Damon Mar-Vell while we're at it.

Not sure if I want that much shaky-cam though.

I doubt Whedon would be the main writer, since he'll likely/hopefully be hard at work on writing the massive undertaking that will be Infinity War 1 & 2 just as soon as he finishes taking his well-deserved his break from all the AoU hullabaloo...but I could see him doing a pass on it or a revision like he did on CA:TFA.

And yes, I'm still crossing my fingers that the Russo's taking over the Avengers rumor was rubbish, not because I have anything against them, but because I see this as Whedon's Avengers saga and want him to see it through to it's conclusion. After Infinity War, I'd be thrilled to see the Russo's take over, though.

I agree. :up: That's what I meant.

Even if the Russo rumors are true about taking over directing duties, I still think Joss would be the writer. Thanos just has too much delicious meat on his bone for a great writer like Whedon.

Last edited:
Kathryn Bigelow. Kathryn F***ing Bigelow.

She is literally an Oscar winner, but isn't above doing genre films, and military people and adrenaline junkies are her bread and butter. She was made for directing a Carol Danvers movie.

I would not be upset with Michelle McLaren though.

^^ Yeah, I was thinking this could be the film Adam McKay is in talks for.

Some great suggestions in here

Michelle McLaren! She did some stunning work on Breaking Bad (directed 11 episodes) and Game Of Thrones (4 episodes).

Just skipped off to Wiki to view her full filmography as a TV director... and it's vast. Everything from X-Files to NCIS to Walking Dead to The Leftovers. Tons of others. She's very experienced and Captain Marvel is about as good a time as any to make the jump from TV to movies.

Brad Bird.
A pipe dream, but one we share. I do think Marvel has a slightly better chance of snagging him than DC, just because his sensibilities match up more with their tone.

If he had the time, maybe James Gunn. He already is experienced with the space genre, and Captain Marvel has to seem quite similar to the way GOTG was filmed, minus of course the more overt humour which wouldn't fit Carol's movie.

Carol's a quipper though, so she could definitely use Gunn's comedic wit. But yeah, it's a moot point since he's gonna be busy with other things.

That's why I like Drew Goddard. He's got an established background in writing quippy superheroines thanks to his Buffy days, and he's also got a great working history with Joss. I can't believe how much I'm rooting for that Sinister Six project to fall apart - I feel kinda bad about it, lol.

I don't think there's any real future in that Sinister Six movie.
I'm not sure if Captain Marvel should have more of an emphasis on the cosmic side or be more of a military thriller. Whichever one it is might influence their choice of director.

It's gotta have a pretty heavy cosmic element, imo, even if it does remain largely on Earth. I think a "military thriller" would seem a bit small in scope considering what will be going on in the MCU at this time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"