Apple TV+ & A24 Team On Genre-Bending Feature ‘Bride’ Starring Scarlett Johansson

A24 is what’s selling me here—not Johansson or Apple.

I'm down. Seems like an interesting reimagining of Bride of Frankenstein, which is exactly what you'd expect from someone like Scarlett Johansson playing this role in 2020.

I read the title as "gender-bending" and thought maybe she was trying to play a transgender person again. Um, this could be good.

I'm mostly left wondering what exactly "genre bending" is even supposed to mean. "It looks like one genre, but surprise, its actually another"? "Its exactly the genre it looks like, but the director avoided ( some of the ) cliched tropes"? "The director is a pretentious auteur who is only willing to make a 'genre' movie if he can somehow pretend its not 'really' a genre movie"?

It means nothing. They just want to seem clever for reimagining Bride of Frakenstein, which has already been done many times.

I'm mostly left wondering what exactly "genre bending" is even supposed to mean. "It looks like one genre, but surprise, its actually another"? "Its exactly the genre it looks like, but the director avoided ( some of the ) cliched tropes"? "The director is a pretentious auteur who is only willing to make a 'genre' movie if he can somehow pretend its not 'really' a genre movie"?
It could be a scifi take on the story and character. She could be a cyborg, and it could be set in the future instead of the past.

A good recent example of genre bending a classic monster movie would be the recent Invisible Man movie. It was more scifi horror, and the invisibility was a suit that could be possible in the real world instead of a fantastical potion.

It could be a scifi take on the story and character. She could be a cyborg, and it could be set in the future instead of the past.

A good recent example of genre bending a classic monster movie would be the recent Invisible Man movie. It was more scifi horror, and the invisibility was a suit that could be possible in the real world instead of a fantastical potion.
I think that'll be the case with this one. Definitely some sort of "sci-fi"

Maybe I'm just too geeky, so the idea of "Story, except in a different era" doesn't seem at all new or shocking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"