Awkwafina is ....?

She'll probably be some comedy-relief character like Darcy Lewis in Thor.

Good idea.

I don’t know if she’s playing the comic relief. There might be a bit of that as there is in every marvel movie. But I reckon, marvel want their appeal to be as broad as possible and ‘fina is there as the strong woman character. So think like Nakia or Sharon Carter

She'll probably be some comedy-relief character like Darcy Lewis in Thor.
Comedy relief probably, but hopefully much better material than Darcy.

Maybe an amalgamation of Leiko Wu and Fah Lo Suee? There was leaked casting description say her character was working for the Mandarin. Would've preferred Gemma Chan in the role (kind of wasted in Captain Marvel) but we'll see if this is Awkwafina's character.

D_9fduxXoAY1gMb.jpg

Last edited:
Hearing Awkwafina was cast my mind immediately went to Leiko Wu.

Would've preferred Gemma Chan in the role (kind of wasted in Captain Marvel)

Yep. Chan was to Captain Marvel what Djimon Hounsou was to Guardians (...and Captain Marvel, lol)

At least she doesn’t have a name like honey lemon haha

Definitely would've preferred Gemma Chan to Awkwafina.

Oh well I’m sure we will see her again in captain marvel 2

She's probably going to play an Everyman character who gets caught up in the adventure, giving other characters an excuse to exposition-dump.Expect lots of astonishment and screaming and WTF reactions, with maybe her doing something lucky like wacking the villain in the back with pipe, like the woman in "Highlander"

Oh well I’m sure we will see her again in captain marvel 2

Well it seems that Gemma Chan is now playing a role in The Eternals, possibly as a different character altogether from her role in Captain Marvel.

I wanted her in Shang Chi but maybe she'd upstage Awkwafina.

Hopefully she's somebody cool. I really hope she's not just comic relief.

Is that a character from the comics or is it an original one?

Is that a character from the comics or is it an original one?
Original character, but some speculation she might be someone else who is a character from the comics.

As of now I'd say she's just Katy, an original character.

She's probably going to play an Everyman character who gets caught up in the adventure, giving other characters an excuse to exposition-dump.Expect lots of astonishment and screaming and WTF reactions, with maybe her doing something lucky like wacking the villain in the back with pipe, like the woman in "Highlander"

Looks like this guy wins the prize.

IMHO, she's the worst part of the movie. Painfully unfunny.

In her defense, when she's not cutting jokes, Katy is fairly tolerable. But I don't know why she's along for the ride and going everywhere with Shang-Chi. There's no justifiable reason for it other than they felt Shang-Chi needed a comedic foil to comment on everything.

But yeah, she's basically the comedic plucky sidekick, ie Rob Schneider in Judge Dredd.

I actually think Awkwafina is a good actress. This kind of character is always there in the first movie. But she hasn’t annoyed me in the previews.

IMHO, she's the worst part of the movie. Painfully unfunny.

In her defense, when she's not cutting jokes, Katy is fairly tolerable. But I don't know why she's along for the ride and going everywhere with Shang-Chi. There's no justifiable reason for it other than they felt Shang-Chi needed a comedic foil to comment on everything.

But yeah, she's basically the comedic plucky sidekick, ie Rob Schneider in Judge Dredd.

Is her character from the comics or is she made up for the movie? I thought she would turn out to be a significant comic character?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"