Back Issue Bins: A Thing Of The Past?

Kirk Langstrom

FRANCINE!!!!
Reaction score
As some of you may be aware, certain comic book collections' entire runs have now been collected onto cd-Rom...Amazing Spider-Man, Fantastic Four, Uncanny X-Men. It's come to my attention that more are on the way (Hulk, Ghost Rider), leading me to believe that this has been a successful venture. Heck, pre-dating these collections, one of our fellow posters, Donald Thomas, had put together an online Spider-Man "library" that has proved very successful with fans.

As a long time collector, i have enjoyed back issue bin "browsing" for years. Every Thanksgiving week-end, a local comic shop in my area, Dave's Comics, has a huge blow-out sale, with comics (including Silver Age) up to 50% off. ( i scored a very good conditioned copy of ASM annual #1 this past year. :word: )...

I have a huge collection of Spider-Man & Fantastic Four comics, and was already planning an assault on THIS year's sale for The Incredible Hulk, but now seeing that the entire run is going to be available next month for fifty bucks, i find myself seriously considering just buying THAT, instead...

I also enjoy collecting figures and statues (Spidey & FF of course), the plan being to leave a nice collection for my daughter (and hopefully one day grand children), but i actually found myself considering selling all my comics off in favor of the cd-rom collections, to make more room for my ever growing figure and statue collections...:wow:
Perhaps just hanging on to a few of the more expensive, "key issues", for nostalgia...i mean, my 13 year old is becoming less and less interested in comics, but LOVES everything computer related anyway...one can only imagine HER children looking at comic books the same way I look at pictures of a covered wagon; (They're cool, but i'd prefer riding in my shiny new car instead...:cwink: )

Questions For Discussion:

1) As a fan, are you at all presently interested in purchasing these cd-Rom collections?

2) Would you consider replacing your collection with them some time in the near future?

3) In your opinion, will comics one day go the way of the dinosaur, or will they somehow endure in their present incarnation?

Discuss.

1. i have purchased the spider-man collection. it's every issue of spider-man ever published...who wouldn't want that??

2. no i would not. having the stories on my computer is NOT the same has having the issues in my hand. i still hunt online and at flea markets and comic shops for back issues and rarities.

3. i think comic books will survive. as much of a convenience digital comics might be for some people, i don't think you'll find any fanboy worth his weight in ink that'll tell you they'd rather have digital comics over comic books.

When I heard ASM was coming out on CD I was very excitied. I currently have the first five Essential ASM books and every single issue after that (minus the clone saga). I thought, hey, maybe I can sell of my issues and have the CDs in their place, but then I remembered, that some of my issues cross over into Sensational, Web of., Spectacular plus a few books that are not even Spiderman itself (I think I have a couple issues of Hulk:huh: ). So that would be a little wierd, reading part of a story arc on the computer and the other with an actual comic. I think that answers all your questions. I don't think FF has that problem, so that could be worth looking into. Not sure about X-Men.

Is it ALL the issues of Spider-man or just of Amazing Spiderman (1-500?).

i have heard about the asm edition, but the one i have is all the spider-man books. you can choose to read them seperately, or you can read them chronologically, by the date they were published.

I don't FF has that problem, so that could be worth looking into. Not sure about X-Men.

FF has it as well. The wedding of Crystal & Pietro crossed over with Avengers. (the up side to that being that an Avengers collection is ALSO underway)...

However; There was also an FF storyline called Atlantis Rising that crossed over with the short-lived Fantastic Force book that would be a problem.

I guess the answer would be to hold onto those particular issues, and perhaps a second volume of FF on cd-rom will consist of one shots, limited series, What-Ifs, specials, cross-overs, etc.,...

I can never see myself purchasing these CDs.

I cant stand reading comics on a computer really. I only do it on hard to find stuff, or really old golden age scans.

I can never see myself purchasing these CDs.

If i may ask; is there any particular reasoning?

Also; I put this in the Marvel forum, as opposed to Misc. Comics, because so far, i've only seen Marvel collections advertised...

Does anyone know if DC or other companies are considering this format? I would freak if i had a complete run of Action or Detective Comics at my fingertips....:wow:

I'd buy them fer reference purposes only...certain issues I wouldn't be able to afford at certain times that could prove crucial fer my works.

Hell no.

It's inevitable that all paper products will one day be replaced, thus no more newspapers or comics which'll instead be on some cousin of CD-Rom.

Hurts my eyes to stare at a screen for so long, plus I don't feel like you've "collected" anything, unless you have it in issue form(Same goes for me and tpb's)

There is nothing like having a tangible comic in my hands that I can read. Staring at a computer screen for too long is annoying.

1. i have purchased the spider-man collection. it's every issue of spider-man ever published...who wouldn't want that??

2. no i would not. having the stories on my computer is NOT the same has having the issues in my hand. i still hunt online and at flea markets and comic shops for back issues and rarities.

3. i think comic books will survive. as much of a convenience digital comics might be for some people, i don't think you'll find any fanboy worth his weight in ink that'll tell you they'd rather have digital comics over comic books.

Aloha,
Great topic-near and dear to my heart.Despite all of the predictions from the tech world that computers were going to eliminate the need for paper-more paper is being produced with the home computer than ever before. In some distant future books may be eliminated but that dose not look like something that any of us in this life time are going to see.I got into digital comic books as a BACK UP to my Spider- Man collection. As many of you know I have all but the first 3 issues of Amazing and Af #15 to have the complete Amazing and I have the complete 616 Universe of all other Spidey titles as well as the complete Ultimate and Spider-girl.If I lost that collection, I would probably not try and get it again.You cannot be a coin or stamp collector with just pictures of the coins or stamps and you cannot be a comic book collector with just scans of the comics-you must have the real thing.Now there are some people who are not interested in being a collector and so for them digital comics will do fine.But until ALL libraries get rid of their books and go digital-digital books will only be a virtual copy of the book, not the real thing.A digital copy of Amazing Fantasy #15 in mint condition has very little collectible worth.The real copy in that condition is worth more than 50 thousand dollars. There are increasing programs like Comical and CDisplay as well as Adobe reader, that are making it easier to read comics on your computer-but there are no hand held reading devices yet, that can replace holding the book in your hands. I set up my Library as a way of exposing potential collectors to The very best of Spider-Man with the hope that they would want to start some sort of personal book collection (comics,HC,trades essentials,etc.)I also knew that there were many holes in the Marvel CD's that were being produced as far as crossover stories were concerned.Ultimately, I believe that back issues comics will go up in value not be replaced by digital versions. I think in the future, you may be able to download your comics straight from Marvel,DC and others for a nominal fee as well as get the hard copy of the comic.When we look at some of the top Auction Houses today, we see that back issues of various titles are going for high prices. If anything, professional grading of comics will be the next big thing for Back Issues.CGC and PGX are the two leaders currently.Once your comic is slabbed, you've got to have a digital version just so you can say you've read the thing.
Spidey rules

Well, as a comic book reader i say there's nothing like sitting in bed or in a comfy chair with a stack of comics and reading. I can't do that with my computer.
Now I might like to get a CD collection in order to get early issues that I couldn't possibly afford nowadays--like the first 20 to 30 issues of FF or Avengers. But for me, it wouldn't replace the comic books I already own.

Well, as a comic book reader i say there's nothing like sitting in bed or in a comfy chair with a stack of comics and reading. I can't do that with my computer.
Now I might like to get a CD collection in order to get early issues that I couldn't possibly afford nowadays--like the first 20 to 30 issues of FF or Avengers. But for me, it wouldn't replace the comic books I already own.

there is absolutely nothing like not being able to wait to drive home, and sitting in my car outside the comic shop and reading the week's comics.

Agreed that there's no way I'd choose digital comics over physically having one in my hand. The digital one may never tear or have ink run and smudge, but just something about holding one in your hands rather than clicking an arrow to turn the page.

If it ever gets to the point that comic companies simply can't afford to print and ship comics anymore then I would switch to digital, but as long as Marvel or DC continue to make physical copies I'll buy them.

On the other hand I think it wouldn't be a bad idea to have digital comics for sale online so you can download it the second it comes out, and maybe comic stores just include comic paper with cover paper in a pack so you could just print out your copy and not have to worry about it being sold out (and obviously just staple it together). But only as an option, and only further down the road.

Agreed that there's no way I'd choose digital comics over physically having one in my hand. The digital one may never tear or have ink run and smudge, but just something about holding one in your hands rather than clicking an arrow to turn the page.

If it ever gets to the point that comic companies simply can't afford to print and ship comics anymore then I would switch to digital, but as long as Marvel or DC continue to make physical copies I'll buy them.

On the other hand I think it wouldn't be a bad idea to have digital comics for sale online so you can download it the second it comes out, and maybe comic stores just include comic paper with cover paper in a pack so you could just print out your copy and not have to worry about it being sold out (and obviously just staple it together). But only as an option, and only further down the road.

that'll never fly.

I don't plan on buying these. Reading off a computer just isn't the same as having it in your hands, and it doesn't give me the same satisfaction.

I don't plan on buying these. Reading off a computer just isn't the same as having it in your hands, and it doesn't give me the same satisfaction.

it's not supposed to, dude.

1) As a fan, are you at all presently interested in purchasing these cd-Rom collections?
I actually have quite a large collection of comics on DVD. I frequently use the torrents, and wouldn't purchase the cd-rom collections, especially considering I cannot stand how Marvel released the Fantastic Four collection with their logo disturbing the reading of each page.

would you consider replacing your collection with them some time in the near future?

No way. I usually don't read comic on a computer. The experience is very unsatisfying. I mainly have then as a resource for information. As some know, I play in the Marvel Contest of Champions, and when you have a character to debate, it's great to grab a disc and find out what happened when facing a certain character. It's far easier than going through my 50+ large comic boxes.

3) In your opinion, will comics one day go the way of the dinosaur, or will they somehow endure in their present incarnation?

Nope, won't happen. Just like when they put classic books online, nobody read them that way. It takes away from what a reading experience should be. Like I said, I have a large collection on disk for research, or if I really want to check out a certain issue and not go through all my boxes. I've read some comics on a computer; but, found it not very enjoyable. But, for those with limited income, and if I was one of them, I would probably just download the new comics that came out weekly.

For me, I'm still filling in my collections. I have pretty much every single comic Marvel has put out since 1991 to present. I've been filling in quite a lot of my 80's collections, and even have some comics from mid-70's to present, like Iron Man and Avengers. Plus, there are so many ways to get comics rather inexpensive. If I was a new comic reader, I wouldn't buy from the comic shops, necessarily. I'd go on ebay and buy a real cheap collection to find out what I like...or, MileHighComics has so many back issues you can get for less then a dollar, especially with their promo-codes. In fact, it's cheaper for me to buy back issues than buy new comics weekly. MileHigh had their 50% off code in December, and for less than $200.00, I got a large comic box of back issues I was missing, including many from the 80's and 90's, like Punisher, Power Man/Iron First. Their copies that are considered by them to be in Fine condition are usually much better than that.

I'd say the same thing about the early issues; but, I find it's much nicer to have Marvel's Essential collections for that. Sure, they aren't in color; but, it's nicer to read in a comfortable easy-chair than at the computer in color. Plus, with Essentials, I don't have to open up my bagged comics on issues I have the full run's of, like Moon Knight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"