Best romance in films from the last five years

Silvermoth

Krakoan native
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Pretty much what the topic says, what's been the best romance seen on screen in the last five years? For me it has to be the lava short at the beginning of inside out because it was so sweet and heartbreaking but not controlling.

It's funny how Pixar seem to be the best at romance in films. I also loved Cinderella and the prince in Kenneth branaghs cinderella.

Anyway over to you :)

Theory of Everything was lovely.

And an indy also starring felicity jones, Like Crazy.

I thought Silver Linings Playbook (which I just watched last week) had a pretty outstanding, and unique romance.

I thought Silver Linings Playbook (which I just watched last week) had a pretty outstanding, and unique romance.

Agreed. I really loved that movie & romance.

Silver Linings Playbook was very well-acted, that's the strength, Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence brought their A-game, to a script that gave them a lot to do.

I can't buy into it though, because the script does not make any sense, and they don't earn their happy ending at all. Towards the end of the movie, Lawrence has a shouting scene where she points out that the Philadelphia Eagles win all of their games whenever she and Cooper dance together. That obviously makes for good drama since the masses and even oscar voters bought it, but it's dumb as nails and doesn't make sense. It is basically a superpower, as the Eagles play is in reality not affected at all by whether or not Lawrence and Cooper dance together. You basically have the entire narrative of the story being wholly depending on this superstition, this magic. The movie validates all of the fools who believe in lucky socks and lucky lottery ticket numbers.

Here's HULK on the movie not earning its happy ending:
http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2012/12...silver-linings-playbook-and-cathartic-dishone

Theodore and Samantha. Her.

Silver Linings Playbook was very well-acted, that's the strength, Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence brought their A-game, to a script that gave them a lot to do.

I can't buy into it though, because the script does not make any sense, and they don't earn their happy ending at all.

I agree, but not for the same reason(s).

nice idea for a thread

Blue Valentine
for reasons...

Peeta & Katniss from The Hunger Games and Catching Fire. And Mockingjay Part2 I'm anticipating to be amazing.

What are your reason(s), Mr. Scout?

At no point during the movie did I feel like Bradley Cooper's character developed romantic feelings for Jennifer Lawrence's character. He was 100% dedicated to his wife until he suddenly wasn't. It was a typical Hollywood ending that didn't make sense within the context of the movie.

Last edited:
At no point during the movie did I feel like Bradley Cooper's character developed romantic feelings for Jennifer Lawrence's character. He was 100% dedicated to his wife until he suddenly wasn't.

Good point !

I don't think I've ever seen a really well done romance in a film; ever.

Before Midnight

It's not pleasant, but at least it's honest.

I don't think I've ever seen a really well done romance in a film; ever.
I agree. I've seen it in BBC period mini-series like Pride & Prejudice (1995) and North & South (2004).

At no point during the movie did I feel like Bradley Cooper's character developed romantic feelings for Jennifer Lawrence's character. He was 100% dedicated to his wife until he suddenly wasn't. It was a typical Hollywood ending that didn't make sense within the context of the movie.

His dedication to his wife didn't make him realize his attraction to Jennifer Lawrence's character, which was clearly there before the ending.

His dedication to his wife didn't make him realize his attraction to Jennifer Lawrence's character, which was clearly there before the ending.

I didn't say anything about attraction. There's a difference between being attracted to someone and having romantic feelings towards them.

Well, attraction can lead to romantic feelings. And the way I see it Cooper's character was blinded by the thoughts of getting together with his ex-wife, that he didn't notice how underneath he was starting to have feelings about Lawrence's character. I don't think the finale came out of the blue. Then maybe we have different views on romance and love.

Well, attraction can lead to romantic feelings.

Yes, it can. And it certainly did in SLP. The problem is that it came out of nowhere and wasn't given any buildup.

And the way I see it Cooper's character was blinded by the thoughts of getting together with his ex-wife, that he didn't notice how underneath he was starting to have feelings about Lawrence's character.

I don't recall any evidence of that in the movie. Not even the subtlest hint. Like I said: he was dedicated to his wife until he wasn't.

I know it was 7 years ago but Wall-E.

Surprised no one's said Frozen!

Anywhere, other than the ones already mentioned, here are some I liked:

Blue is the Warmest Color

1920x1080

Short Term 12

short.term.12cb.jpg

The Spectacular Now

6a00e009983955883301a3fcbffb42970b-800wi

Love is Strange

love-is-strange.jpg

I, Origins