Best romance in films from the last five years

The first 20 minutes of Monster is a really nice romance, if you end the movie around that point it's quite charming. After that it all goes down hill.

I can't buy into it though, because the script does not make any sense, and they don't earn their happy ending at all. Towards the end of the movie, Lawrence has a shouting scene where she points out that the Philadelphia Eagles win all of their games whenever she and Cooper dance together. That obviously makes for good drama since the masses and even oscar voters bought it, but it's dumb as nails and doesn't make sense. It is basically a superpower, as the Eagles play is in reality not affected at all by whether or not Lawrence and Cooper dance together. You basically have the entire narrative of the story being wholly depending on this superstition, this magic. The movie validates all of the fools who believe in lucky socks and lucky lottery ticket numbers.

It's not there for the audience to believe Jennifer Lawrence's character has some sort of super power, obviously she doesn't. The only person who needs to believe that it's not a coincidence, and is some sort of magic, is Robert De Niro's character. None of the other characters think the fact Cooper and Lawrence happen to be together when the team wins means anything. She's manipulating De Niro's obsessive belief system in order to get her way.

No one bought into it, because no one (except De Niro's character) was supposed to.

All of these are great relationship films by not actual being typical 'romance' films.

The One I Love [has a sci-fi spin]
(500) Days Of Summer [fun, with a guy's perspective, and honest]
Blue Valentine [is very honest/real]
What If [funny and neat]
Ruby Sparks [sci-fi spin and inventive]

I'm thinking Sarah Connor & Kyle Reese will be up there before it's all said & done. :D :D :D

Her was fantastic but I think The Spectacular Now and Short Term 12 were tremendous romance films in their own right.

The Spectacular Now is just so there, to take a word from a review. It's hard to describe it succinctly to be frank, because in a way the film is reflective of so many of us at one point in time. It's Ponsoldt's best work by far.

Really I can only think of three: Short Term 12, Ruby Sparks and Before Midnight. I've seen others that I've been excited for (Spectacular Now and Blue is the Warmest Colour are two I've seen mentioned in this thread that fall into that) but those are the only three I can think of at the moment I actually ended up liking in the end.

EDIT: I liked Cinderella too, it didn't cross my mind for whatever reason.

Last edited:
I love 500 Days of Summer and Cinderella. Crazy Stupid Love was good too.

What If is pretty good. IMO, fairly underrated.

I, Origins

IOrigins.jpg

Thanks for posting this. I watched it last night and it was very good. I liked the Sci-Fi element.

I have Obvious Chile on my watch list as well.

Last edited:
Hereafter is another one enjoyed.

Since I just saw it yesterday...

Lava

Unfortunately, Up came out six years ago, so it doesn't make the cut.

Her
Crazy. Stupid. Love.
Silver Linings Playbook

Great romances in those films. And let's be honest. For how crappy the films were, Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone have amazing chemistry. More than any other comic book film. It's infectious.

Thanks for posting this. I watched it last night and it was very good. I liked the Sci-Fi element.

I have Obvious Chile on my watch list as well.

I love all things Brit Marling. In fact, now that I think about it, Another Earth should make the cut.

One of the most messed up 'romances' i've ever seen, but so damn moving - plus, also has a great sci-fi element :)

0606460_30646_MC_Tx360.jpg

Obvious Child is a great, unapologetic comedy too :)

Ruby Sparks: I really enjoyed it. If you are a fan of Stranger Than Fiction you'll love. Very similar movies though Ruby Sparks is slightly darker at time. Plus I'm a big fan of Zoe Kazan.

Jonathan Dayton (Little Miss Sunshine) directs

Watch As Good As It Gets.

Does that count? Saw it when it came out, great film. Hmm, been a while that I guess I don't remember very well. Probably because the romance/relationship isn't until the very end.

I know it was 7 years ago but Wall-E.

Yeaaaah, thing about that is... you're right. I identify more with two robots than most "romantic" (haha) couples on screen. You cared for them as characters, you cared for them as a couple. Which is how I feel it should work.

Though, not a romance movie I love the romance between Gwen & Peter in the Webb films. First superhero romance I actually gave a crap about. As much as I love Batman and those movies (Nolan + 1), the romances in it are pure crap.

Finally saw I, Origins... holy that was amazing.

Spring was a great horror romantic film.

Frodo and Sam in Return of the King. Wait, that's too long ago. Captain America and the Winter Solider then.

Finally saw I, Origins... holy that was amazing.

Spring was a great horror romantic film.

When she gets killed in the elevator--that really stuck with me (even know I saw it coming). I knew at the end it would come together with the girl, but I didn't know how they were going to do it and then the elevator freaks her out.

Yeah I remember thinking at the time it was a bit of a brutal scene and an odd choice... but it was a great tool at the end for visually showing that connection.

No one mentioned Gone Girl?! :o

I second all the votes for "Her". Another one I liked is the romance in "Ain't Them Bodies Saints".

Hereafter is another one enjoyed.

I really liked the romance in Hereafter. I loved the scene where Matt's character touched Cecile's hand and for the first time in his life he saw something that didn't upset him. Nice, subtle chemistry. Theory of Everything was lovely as well.

Not in the last 5 years but I also like:

Aliens: Ripley and Hicks (there is so much chemistry in the looks they exchange before she goes to rescue Newt)

Kids are all right: Nic and Jules (not a happy time for them but it was nice when they held hands at the end to show that they were committed to making their relationship work).

Maybe I'm too much of a comics nerd but I really liked the love triangle between Beast, Mystique and Magneto in X-Men: First Class.

Frodo and Sam in Return of the King. Wait, that's too long ago. Captain America and the Winter Solider then.

:hrt::hrt: such a good choice. Winter soldier is captain America's Bae (and they can get married now too!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"