• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Best Superhero Movie of 2014

But not everybody is going to be interested in all of them. The majority will see the big three with the remaining not appealing as much them.

I'll likely only see four of the six this year.

I'm glad that's how they do it for Awards shows. :o

Let's have this thread restarted in a few weeks

That way, everybody will have come down from the new-movie-high and we can have a real vote on this

I have a feeling the results will be different with a little hindsight and perspective

Saw Cap again yesterday, yep, I voted for the right movie when I chose it

My opinion :)

and some movie goers might not consider GOTG a super-hero film

And those people would be wrong. :p

A "super hero film" is a broader category than just "guy dresses up in spandex and fights street crime".

And those people would be wrong. :p

A "super hero film" is a broader category than just "guy dresses up in spandex and fights street crime".

I may be doing it wrong, but I like to consider superhero film and comic-book film the same thing. Which means I have to call Road to Perdition, A History of Violence, or RED a superhero film I suppose when they totally are not :O.

When Sin City releases someone should do a poll with

Captain America The Winter Soldier
The Amazing Spider-Man 2
X-Men Days of Future Past
Guardians of The Galaxy
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Sin City: A dame To Kill For

Those I think are all the CBMs this year.

What about Big Hero 6?

Big Hero should definitely be up there.

Not gonna be able to start putting up these polls till the end of the year with all the comic flicks we get.

Too early for this IMO. We are still in August. I know Big Hero still has yet to come out, and I think it doesn't hit theaters until Christmas right? So ya, if that's true it is too early for this IMO.

This is probably the best year for superhero films on record. The Amazing Spider-Man 2 was awful, of course. But TWS, DOFP, and GotG were all fantastic. Three films that are among the best in the genre makes me very happy.

Last edited:
This is probably the best year for superhero films on record. The Amazing Spider-Man 3 was awful, of course. .

Time Traveler? :oldrazz:

For me it went in order of release with The Winter Soldier being the best and Guardians the worst.

If a new thread and poll is made, could we perhaps add the Rurouni Kenshin sequels Kyoto Inferno/The Legend Ends to the list? I know they're technically adaptations of a manga series, but they're still films based on comics too right?

10478593_864646996898176_556819702531315256_n.jpg

Yeah its way to early for this poll. TMNT is out tomorrow in the US (though Australia and the UK have to wait a few months for it) plus Sin City 2 is out at the end of the month, IMO Transformers should be part of the poll as well, even though it wont win it.

Right now I'd say it's The Winter Soldier.

It's been a mediocre year for CBMs in my opinion, more of the same, not a lot of growth in the genre.

I disagree.

I think 2014 has been the best year in terms of quality for CBMs yet.

2008 had Iron Man and TDK. It also had the Incredible Hulk and Hellboy.

2011 had Thor, X-Men: First Class and Captain America

2012 had Avengers and TDKR

But this year had Captain America: The Winter Soldier, X-Men: Days of Future Past and Guardians of the Galaxy. Three very highly rated by the critics, the GA and the fans. :up:

I'm happy that the fans are getting something they enjoy but personally I'm not as enthusiastic. Though I consider this year's crop to be very competent that's all they are to me, competent. They're not rely pushing the genre.

2008 pushed the genre forward with Iron Man and TDK, you can think of 2008 as being a phase transition.

2012 had Avengers, Dredd 3D, and Dark Knight Rises, which you can again think of pushing the genre forward, they were very ambitious and trying something new. They were different from what came before.

I'd say that those are the two best years of the current cycle.

If I'm giving 2014 any praise for comic book movies, it's for Edge of Tomorrow, Lego Movie, and possibly Snowpiercer which I have not seen yet. Based on what I've read of Snowpiercer, I might love it, which would change my mind.

IDK, I think GOTG and Cap 2 definitely did more to move the genre forward than TDKR or Dredd 2 did.

TDKR sucked a mean one, and Dredd is basically a cult action film that was very light on story.

Avengers though, yea it's tough to argue that that wasn't a bigger moment than everything from this year combined, even if based on Box Office alone. But the way Avengers moved true comic films into the public conciousness was a major turning point for the genre.

This year was more like a very solid follow up to that.
A much better follow up than 2013 was, at least.

This was such a fantastic year for superhero films. It's in my opinion the best year we've had since 2008. I loved all 4 films and even Guardians, the weakest one of the 4 IMO, was still very well done.

I wouldn't say TDKR or Dredd pushed the genre more than Cap 2 or Guardians or DOFP.

Rises was hyped as the finale to Nolan's trilogy while the whole genre is now doing the ongoing shared universe thing. You could argue the tone still influences the upcoming DC films, but it was established in TDK first (technically in BB but that film was a sleeper hit). Dredd sadly didn't do big guns. It was also a sleeper hit.

TWS' more political tone showed Marvel wasn't afraid of tackling some more adult themes and could have a successful franchise other than IM and TA, then the way the showed the fallout to the film's events in AoS turned it into an event that rivaled TA. Guardians was a breath of fresh air in general (what's the last big-budget space adventure we had since Star Wars?) and its success shows Marvel is willing to take more risks in the future (Ant-Man, Dr. Strange, etc.). Then DOFP brought Singer and the old cast back, not just revived the franchise to the GA but made it bigger than ever before (first X-film to break over $500 million).

Next year looks more iffy. Avengers 2 looks good, but then we have FF and Ant-Man. FF is self-explanatory, Ant-Man's very controversial due to the whole Wright fiasco.

Last edited:
1. Winter Solider - 9/10
2. GotG - 8/10
3. X-Men: DoFP - 7/10
4. TASM2 - 5/10

This year has been very good, only TASM2 was a let down for me, everything else was excellent, Marvel's two films were both better than their two last year and X-Men got back to its best. As good as 2012 at least, maybe even better.

Still have a couple more to go this year as well, although I have some reservations about Sin City 2.

It's between Cap 2 or Guardians for me, followed closely by DOFP.
As a huge Spider-man fan I enjoyed ASM 2 for what it was, but I am not eager to see it again as it was easily the worst Spider-man film we've had yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
picamon
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"