Shazam Black Adam spin off with The Rock

I see WB is copying the MCU move of having a bunch of movies that have "ok, I guess" levels of quality.
Of all things to copy that's shouldnt be high on the list to copy. A better thing would be appealing to both masses and critics. That's the secret sauce to the MCU. The MCU hardcore fans love it, the general audiences love it, does great at the box office and critics like it-- that's been the case for the overwhelming majority of their projects.

DC does a great job of getting their hardcore fans fired up and loving their movies but then it's usually split with the rest of the fan base and the general audience's. The don't have the publics trust the way Marvel does, which might explain why an unknown character played by an unknown actor in Shang Chi during the height of the pandemic can outgrosses Rock as Black Adam IMO.

I enjoyed the movie myself. Its a bit long but I would take it over a lot of the dreck out there and honestly most of the criticism I read is disingenuous because it is no different than the majority of comic films out there. (especially the MCU which yes it definitely copied) It is exactly what it is supposed to be and at no point has ever pretended to be anything else. Outside of the "big bad" everything was fleshed out about as much as I expected and really should be.

It isn't making any top ten list of mine, but I am not mad I paid to watch it and glad I saw it on the big screen. I would give it a 7. My buddy the MCU geek friggin loved it and got the vapors when Cavill showed up. (he had no idea it was coming) The film is good, not great but nothing the Rock does is ever really great.

With Shazam 2 getting it's release date pushed back a few times, any chance they filmed a scene or two with Black Adam?

Would Rock even want that?

It feels like it's been forever lol. I saw Man of Steel in Imax opening weekend. Definitely feels longer than 9 years.

But it has only been 9 1/2 years since Man of Steel...
Look at it this way.
This Was SOLD as MOS and, the name, "Superman" comes in the last 30 minutes or so and, it is presented almost as an after thought.
"Oh that's what the guys are calling him sir".

Last edited:
Finally caught this over the weekend, and man this was so disappointing to me. I think I might have to rate it 5/10 tops, and most of that just for its blockbuster entertainment value.

Although The Rock was probably the best & most obvious casting choice for the character, his performance as Black Adam was just not good. It lacked something that I can't really put a finger on, but just detracted from the movie.

It was mostly just the most average DC movie I've ever seen, with nothing about it standing out as particularly good, and to be honest, ranks somewhere at the bottom of all the live-action DC movies that I've seen (DCEU and just general DC movies combined). It kinda reminded me of Whedon's first Avengers movie, and not in a good way. I'm not familiar with the director, but it came across as a movie with a lack of vision and creative direction, and although the action setpieces weren't bad, none of them were really that good either.

And there were a handful of things about it that I really didn't like:
1. Everything relating to the mother and son sub-plot. I feel like that whole family sub-plot could've been removed from the movie and it probably would've been better for it. It reminded me of the (absolutely terrible) Russian family sub-plot in Whedon's Justice League.
2. I don't think I heard a single second of the movie that wasn't musically scored. It actually detracted from scenes that probably would've had more dramatic impact without music playing in the background. The director really needed to let the scenes breathe more without music all the time, and let the music add dramatic impact only when needed.
3. None of the musical score was actually that good either, and I didn't hear a single developed theme recur in the movie. Neither Black Adam or the JSA had any musical theme associated with them. And it was just further exasperating that the movie used modern pop music at certain points.
4. Pierce Brosnan's Dr Fate was awesome. An awesome casting for the character, and it was great to see Dr Fate finally get his live-action movie appearance. But I absolutely hated a few things about Dr Fate in this movie:
1. His powers were basically nerfed and made him look no more powerful than the MCU Dr. Strange, and he could've had so much more display of magical power in the movie.
2. Pierce Brosnan took the mask off way too often. I wanted to see way more of Dr Fate wearing the helmet of Nabu, and not Pierce Brosnan carrying the helmet most of the time.
3. That he was killed. ARGH! We got an awesome Dr Fate casting with Pierce Brosnan and we're presumably not going to have him again?!
5. Not that I hated the castings for the JSA, but I feel like the movie would've benefitted more from older actors playing Atom Smasher and Cyclone. It felt more like "Young Justice and the JSA". If WB wants to make a live-action Young Justice eventually then I'd be there for that, but I would've vastly preferred a bunch of older & "seasoned-looking" heroes for the JSA.

Last edited:
Guess he won't get that superman fight...

This is a total embarrassment for Dwayne Johnson, his Black Adam is dead in the water and failed at the box office.

If he was smart he would quietly move on from this role or maybe be the villain in Shazam 3 and die on screen. Were not getting him and Cavill fighting so light as well kill the character off

If he was smart he would quietly move on from this role or maybe be the villain in Shazam 3 and die on screen. Were not getting him and Cavill fighting so light as well kill the character off
I wouldn't be surprised if we see a hard reboot after next years movie, doubt we'd even see Shazam! 3.

This movie isn’t bad like say Venom or Morbius. I appreciate it actually has comic book and fantastical elements in it.

But I’m just so confused by it. Why does the Justice Society work for Walker? If Teth Adam is so powerful, why didn’t she send Superman in the first place? Why send a team with two rookies who have never worked together, one of whom apparently has never even worn the suit before?

The acting is fine. The idea that Hawkman doesn’t think you should kill is laughable. Not sure how Adam knows how to speak perfect English so quickly but it’s not the first movie to do that.

There are some good ideas there, but the script needed a bit more work.

Honestly, if Dwayne really wanted Henry Cavill's Superman back why didn't he campaign to let him have Hawkman's role in the movie? At least the conflict over their different ideologies would've made sense, instead of Hawkman (an alien from a war like planet mind you) being like "we don't kill!". And if Hawkman really feels that way, why hasn't he gone after Amanda Waller instead of doing her bidding?

And is it just me or was Atom Smasher just discount MCU Scott Lang/Ant-Man. A goofy dork who turns giant.

This movie isn’t bad like say Venom or Morbius. I appreciate it actually has comic book and fantastical elements in it.

But I’m just so confused by it. Why does the Justice Society work for Walker? If Teth Adam is so powerful, why didn’t she send Superman in the first place? Why send a team with two rookies who have never worked together, one of whom apparently has never even worn the suit before?

The acting is fine. The idea that Hawkman doesn’t think you should kill is laughable. Not sure how Adam knows how to speak perfect English so quickly but it’s not the first movie to do that.

There are some good ideas there, but the script needed a bit more work.

It felt like a terminator movie once the kid and family was involved. He needed to shoot them down, metaphorically and go on a rampage with the west sending in the big guns to defeat him. The story should have been Black Adam vs the west, I mean they heavily alluded to that, which I liked.

Hawkman felt more of an unhinged hero that could go rogue.

Honestly, if Dwayne really wanted Henry Cavill's Superman back why didn't he campaign to let him have Hawkman's role in the movie? At least the conflict over their different ideologies would've made sense, instead of Hawkman (an alien from a war like planet mind you) being like "we don't kill!". And if Hawkman really feels that way, why hasn't he gone after Amanda Waller instead of doing her bidding?

And is it just me or was Atom Smasher just discount MCU Scott Lang/Ant-Man. A goofy dork who turns giant.

Yup, I gave this movie a lot of forgiveness and just watched it for what it was..
It was literally like Dwayne Johnson had said, let's sprinkle x men over the marvel formula and give it a DC twist.

I liked the fact that the heroes were worshipped as gods and idolized like celebs - however I didn't appreciate how they used officially licensed DC merchandise and comics. I saw comics on display that featured Clark Kent and Bruce Wayne etc

A poster of superman in trunks, new 52 styles...

If anything they needed to customize their own art work for that universe and maybe have vertigo as that worlds main comic line.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"