Shazam Box Office Thread $

Reaction score
‘Black Adam’ Box Office: Dwayne Johnson DC Movie Looking At $135M Worldwide Opening – Deadline

Honestly I'm not sure how this would perform. There hasn't been a huge movie since Thor: Love and Thunder, but this is also an obscure character from DC (well at least to the public). And after the floppage of Birds of Prey and The Suicide Squad, I wouldn't be surprised if this underperforms too.

Its an obscure character played by an A-list box officer though

I think we'll likely get around $700mill, the China release is still up in the air but if it manages that...then I definitely think it will get to $700mill

I think $70m opening weekend domestically, with a domestic total of $185m.

I think $85m opening weekend internationally, with an international total of $250m.

If it gets a release in China, I think $55m opening, $120m total..

Where is the Black Adam thread?? I see Blue Beetle has one so why can't I find the one for Black Adam-- ami blind?

68 million opening wknd
Domestic total: 205 million
Worldwide 575 million

Early numbers are in for South Korea and France…they’re lower than the numbers for Shazam…

Yes, but they're also above Venom 2, which went on to double Shazam's gross in France.
Venom 2 came out during a surge, while also having to deal with Die Another Day. Venom is also a known, liked property. Any reason for this to open low and then have decent legs?

500 million plus feels about right for this. Right in the place where it can't be considered a flop, but can't be considered a success either. IE: the absolute worst case scenario for decisions about the future of DC on film :whatever:

Venom 2 came out during a surge, while also having to deal with Die Another Day. Venom is also a known, liked property. Any reason for this to open low and then have decent legs?

I’ve seen it, I think it will have good word of mouth ala Aquaman and Venom.

My theatre was buzzing during and afterwards. If you don’t overthink it it’s impossible not to have a blast with, even if it’s not the greatest movie ever made. It’s clearly not trying to be.

I always said that the Venom flicks felt like early 00s movies! :o

Close to, or just above, 700 mill.

With a projected 60 million dollars opening weekend in the US and a total of 160 million, it will be lucky to make more than 400.

If Black Adam cost 200M to make and another 100M (if not more) to market then it needs 600M WW just to break even. With a 135M worldwide opening and weak wom I don't think it will reach that number

Shazam made slightly less than $400 million. I have to think Black Adam will beat that number with the Rock as the lead. Final total will probably be between $500 million to $600 million.

Hope Shazam 2 is better reviewed. That film is my favorite DCEU film.

The tracking seems to point to $80m opening DOM, then it has 3 weeks all by itself so multiplier could be 3 for DOM total = $240m. Double that for international = $480m, add China at least $120m I think = $600m. That’s my baseline scenario.

It could get to $700m+ if it clicks with general audience, and also a decent chance China intake to hit $200m+ I think.

Overall my estimate is $650m-$750m.

I think anything over $500 million worldwide is too optimistic.

Remember Thor: Love and Thunder grossed less than $800 million. Unless it really pulls big number$ in China... I think some people are just $aving their money to Wakanda Forever for their neXt cinematic eXperience.

When would we find out if this is getting a China release?

Likely November. No possible distraction no matter how slight it is will be allowed to happen until after the biggest domestic drama that is still going on now — CCP congress and the coronation of Xi. It will end this weekend but don’t expect any announcement at least a few days after, if that happens.

Likely November. No possible distraction no matter how slight it is will be allowed to happen until after the biggest domestic drama that is still going on now — CCP congress and the coronation of Xi. It will end this weekend but don’t expect any announcement at least a few days after, if that happens.
Oh right, gotya, makes sense. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"