Shazam Box Office Thread $

If the film does mediocre numbers like $600mill....they probably will pull the plug
For bigger budgeted movies I'd say:

400 million range- barely breaking even or barely in the red (UNDERPERFORMING)

500 million range- just profitable or just out of the red (MEDIOCRE)

600 million range- out of red, recovered marketing and production cost. A sequel has a decent shot (GOOD)

700 million range- definitely profitable at this point unless u had a larger than normal budget for a comic book movie. Sequel is usually approved and good to (GREAT)

800+ excellent all parties happy and sequel on the way (EXCELLENT)

this is how I interpret numbers, understanding that knowing the exact budget obviously changes things but as a general rule I think that's how we can look at the numbers. Do u agree?

For bigger budgeted movies I'd say:

400 million range- barely breaking even or barely in the red (UNDERPERFORMING)

500 million range- just profitable or just out of the red (MEDIOCRE)

600 million range- out of red, recovered marketing and production cost. A sequel has a decent shot (GOOD)

700 million range- definitely profitable at this point unless u had a larger than normal budget for a comic book movie. Sequel is usually approved and good to (GREAT)

800+ excellent all parties happy and sequel on the way (EXCELLENT)

this is how I interpret numbers, understanding that knowing the exact budget obviously changes things but as a general rule I think that's how we can look at the numbers. Do u agree?

For the most part I agree. Unfortunately Black Adam likely wont do anything that warrants them leading the DCEU but....WBD doesn't make sense anyway.

This was just a vehicle to introduce Cavill’s Superman. No one can convince me otherwise. :o

60 percent drop. not great, could have been worse

Last edited:
Eternals at this same point is outpacing and outgrossing Black Adams box office both domestically and internationally. Funny how the media painted Eternals as a flop but is a lot more generous in their descriptions for the performance of BlackAdam! Day 7 Eternals=91 mil / day 7 BlackAdam=83 mil

Eternals at this same point is outpacing and outgrossing Black Adams box office both domestically and internationally. Funny how the media painted Eternals as a flop but is a lot more generous in their descriptions for the performance of BlackAdam! Day 7 Eternals=91 mil / day 7 BlackAdam=83 mil
Yes, definitely more generous. Eternals had negative language throughout its run. What was the budget in comparison to BA?

Deadline said that one of the reasons that they anticipate a big drop is that it is the Saturday before Halloween and they expect there to be a lot of parties tonight.
In other words, less people going to the movies this evening.
So, evidently,Halloween is a potential factor here.
Has this ever affected other movies released just before Halloween?

Deadline said that one of the reasons that they anticipate a big drop is that it is the Saturday before Halloween and they expect there to be a lot of parties tonight.
I guess mega budget movies are probably not that often released during it. Wouldn’t have as much of a negative effect on smaller films already expecting smaller numbers.

I do think Halloween will have some impact, but the reviews were killer for the most part. Next weekend will tell, because after that the big holiday time movies will be released and that will do serious harm.

If these numbers are the same, or even worse, next weekend, I wonder if it will really break 200 million domestic. If not, well............

I do think Halloween will have some impact, but the reviews were killer for the most part. Next weekend will tell, because after that the big holiday time movies will be released and that will do serious harm.

If these numbers are the same, or even worse, next weekend, I wonder if it will really break 200 million domestic. If not, well............

There is no chance it gets to $200 million. Its trailing Eternals domestically and that only made $165 million.

No. And it's a bad argument, because why is this different from college football today, the World Series, etc.

The Halloween effect is only felt on Halloween, where it boost some horror flicks an does some damage to family flicks, as kids are out trick or treating.

It's going to be lucky to get to 160m domestic. No way it's getting to 200m.

Any word on a release date in China? That may be the saving grace for this movie. If it can connect their then maybe 500 million commutative could be in play. Without it, it'll likely hit the low to mid 400 mil range. Still has one more wknd before it losses out on theaters to what peeps are predicting will be a juggernaut performance of Walkanda Forever. The one plus side is picking up the stragglers who go to see BP and can't get in -- that overflow audicence might end up seeing BA... China seems to be anti-MCU these days but not so much for WB so we'll see z

Around 18% above Shazam dom after 10 days. Best, best case scenario it ends up around 165M but with Wakanda Forever just around the corner it’s going to drop sharply next week so I doubt it gets there.

400M ww will really depend on wether or not it’s a hit in China (releases there Nov. 11th). Without China it’s probably going to do 360/370M ww. For reference Shazam made 44M in China with a more favorable exchange rate. However it goes though (unless it ends up making 200M there), it’s only going to improve its profitability on the margins.

So so results so far for a 200M tentpole.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"