Shazam Box Office Thread $

More and more im anticipating The Flash despite the drama with you-know-who. All the word around the street is Muschietti knocked it out the park so I hope this becomes a smash hit for DC because DC desperately needs it. I dont think Shazam is gonna do much better than Black Adam.
I hope it joins Wonder Woman and Aquaman in terms of successful DC movies. Like at least 500 million worldwide /200 million in North America. I really don't want to go back to that period in which Wb was only continously making Superman and Batman movies and the rest were flopping (Green Lantern).

Exactly which is why 2023 is CRUCIAL for DC. IF all those movies flop or underperform DC's going to the early 2000s era where they only made Batman and Superman movies.

Between 1987 and 2022 DC has put out 2 Superman movies (3 if you count BvS) so we can't even say that they'll go back to Batman and Superman. They'll just go back to Batman.

Wow, only a 32 percent drop. That's very good. Though it'll probably crumble with Black Panther opening next weekend. Still, never thought a Black Adam movie would outgross a Shazam movie.

WB was obviously banking on The Rock delivering a very successful film, unfortunately this is not. Less than $150 million in North America after 3 weekends and its also the worst reviewed movie since JL. Yeah terrible look given that this isn't the 3rd misfire from DCEU.

Between 1987 and 2022 DC has put out 2 Superman movies (3 if you count BvS) so we can't even say that they'll go back to Batman and Superman. They'll just go back to Batman.
Eh. Henry Cavill just made announcement he has returned to DC. Black Adam flopping just gave WBD a bigger reason to do another Superman movie. So yeah they could go back to just Batman and Superman, but this time with Wonder Woman, Aquaman and maybe the Flash inbetween those films.

Suicide Squad, Black Adam and Harley Quinn are pretty much done with headlining their own movies. I would be more confident with Blue Beetle and Shazam delivering good numbers at the boX office if Black Adam turned out a big success. 2023 is jam packed with blockbuster movies so that would hurt solo films for lesser known DC characters. Its unlikely those two would perform really well or above eXpectations, financially wise. WBD at least have Flash and Aquaman neXt year. But I'm going to eXpect Shazam 3 and Blue Beetle 2 as surefire movies later on.

And BVS is a Superman and Batman movie... like its not a solo Superman movie and a solo Batman movie, it was a movie for two characters that already headlined 5 live action films... like their name was on the title....

Last edited:
Still, never thought a Black Adam movie would outgross a Shazam movie.

Why?

Shazam was as unknown an IP to the general population as Black Adam when it came out. And Black Adam stars The Rock. Pretty sure Zachary Levi doesn't have his (theoretical) pull.

Why?

Shazam was as unknown an IP to the general population as Black Adam when it came out. And Black Adam stars The Rock. Pretty sure Zachary Levi doesn't have his (theoretical) pull.
He doesn't.

I wouldn't be surprised if Shazam 2! struggles neXt year. They have no gimmick or hook for people who didn't watch the first movie.

Disney is fortunately enough to have other good revenue streams to give film division a comfortable cushion in rainy days (still I think it is under lot of pressure BP and Avatar need to do very well since it hasn’t been a banner year for Disney films), WBD doesn’t really have much atm.[/B]
Dr.Strange is the 3rd highest grossing movie of the year worldwide just shy of a billion dollars, last year Spidey was one of the biggest hits ever-- even during the pandemic Eternals was the 10th highest grossing film of the year! This year they will likely end it with all 3 of their movies in the top 10 for worldwide grosses so I'm not sure they're under any pressure. Their brand remains popular at the box office even if critic ratings have slipped and social media complains about Phase 4 persist. General audiences seem to be on track per usual!!

Actually the Q4/FY results came out yesterday showed content was still a loss (FY21 was a profit). It barely mentioned any films in the release.

It didn’t have detailed breakdown for just films and the loss was mostly streaming costs but anyway Spider-Man was mostly Sony and the Dr Strange was the only money spinner for FY22. Disney certainly booked a rather big loss on Lightyear (which it botched specularly), Thor was break even/slight profit at best thanks to its cost. Amsterdam was a textbook box office bomb. (Eternals and Shang Chi were last year, but they didn’t make money anyway).

There is not a lot Disney had to show for so far this year, you can go through the release list and see how ho hum this year has been for Disney (and compared to pre pandemic years when it’s film division was largely making good profits). Good thing is, and I forgot, its FY ends October so BF and Avatar income should go to FY23 as a hopefully strong start for the movie side.

Actually the Q4/FY results came out yesterday showed content was still a loss (FY21 was a profit). It barely mentioned any films in the release.

It didn’t have detailed breakdown for just films and the loss was mostly streaming costs but anyway Spider-Man was mostly Sony and the Dr Strange was the only money spinner for FY22. Disney certainly booked a rather big loss on Lightyear (which it botched specularly), Thor was break even/slight profit at best thanks to its cost. Amsterdam was a textbook box office bomb. (Eternals and Shang Chi were last year, but they didn’t make money anyway).

There is not a lot Disney had to show for so far this year, you can go through the release list and see how ho hum this year has been for Disney (and compared to pre pandemic years when it’s film division was largely making good profits). Good thing is, and I forgot, its FY ends October so BF and Avatar income should go to FY23 as a hopefully strong start for the movie side.
All of those Marvel fillms still outgrossed Black Adam...

Of course. Needless to say WBD is in quite a financial trouble and is facing a steep uphill battle, if the DC films don’t perform at least decently well in 2023, things could get very ugly…. People mocked Zaslav for wanting to get paid and not giving a darn about subs number, his concern was not wrong (no comment on his methods) — the entire group is in a rather poor shape financially. Credit ratings are just one step above junk. Sorry to digress anyway.

Last edited:
Disney has D+ though which is probably the most popular streaming app after NetfliX, and that 45 day theaterical window is probably one of the factors why some just waited for their 2022 films to debut on streaming. I used to watch every PiXar film on the big screen but not anymore because of Disney+.

I'm not sure how popular HBO MaX is, but they have more or less 1/3 of Disney+ active subscribers.

Of course. Needless to say WBD is in quite a financial trouble and is facing a steep uphill battle, if the DC films don’t perform at least decently well in 2023, things could get very ugly…. People mocked Zaslav for wanting to get paid and not giving a darn about subs number, his concern was not wrong (no comment on his methods) — the entire group is in a rather poor shape financially. Credit ratings are just one step above junk. Sorry to digress anyway.
It got so bad for them financially that they ran out of marketing budget. That's why they shifted so many of their late summer, fall and winter releases. They didn't have enough to market them. New money is allocated for the new calendar year so it's an opportunity to start fresh.

to be fair when he bought his last company the year he can on board the had huge losses but he was able to turn it around and make huge profits so he does have a track record of success. I think creating DC studios was an excellent idea and the future looks bright even with this movie bombing. It wasn't a movie he had anything to do with making so it's not his fault...

Box Office Update:

Warner Bros.’ “Black Adam” with an estimated fourth weekend total of $8 million, bringing its total to $150 million domestic. While “Black Adam” now joins “The Batman” and “Elvis” as the third Warner release to reach that $150 million mark, the film’s hopeful $67 million domestic opening has curdled into weaker-than-hoped holdover totals as chances for a Chinese release have dwindled.

With “Wakanda Forever” now in theaters, “Black Adam” is going to have to claw and scrape just to get to $400 million worldwide, a very disappointing fate for a Dwayne Johnson blockbuster with a reported $195 million budget before marketing costs.

“Black Adam” is only doing slightly better than Universal’s “Ticket to Paradise,” which is also in its fourth weekend and is pacing for a $6 million frame and a $56 million overall domestic total.

'Black Panther: Wakanda Forever' Heads for $175 Million-Plus Box Office Opening

Is there any breakdown on how much New Line (WB) has invested in BA vs. Seven Bucks and Flynn?

Disney has D+ though which is probably the most popular streaming app after NetfliX, and that 45 day theaterical window is probably one of the factors why some just waited for their 2022 films to debut on streaming. I used to watch every PiXar film on the big screen but not anymore because of Disney+.

I'm not sure how popular HBO MaX is, but they have more or less 1/3 of Disney+ active subscribers.
for the very first time since it's launch Netflix had a decline this year in subscriber count (that's when they lost billions in stocks) and it's the first time that Disney+ passed Netflix in total subscribers as well as they had gains on their 3rd qtr reports.

Actually the Q4/FY results came out yesterday showed content was still a loss (FY21 was a profit). It barely mentioned any films in the release.[/SIZE]

Not even Sony gets 100% of the profits and as per their deal Disney pays 30% of the production cost and has full creative control and gets 30% of the profits. Of course theaters take a percentage and overseas the percentage is a lot higher but don't get it twisted Marvel for the little they paid for a hell of a return from the profits that it made!!

Dr. strange highly profitable and Thor profitable too by every known way we calculate for movies and now Wakanda Forever! As a studio they will likely have the most revenue generated again think in the last 15 years they had 12 years of Dinh sting the box office. Too Gun or Avatar will likely be #1 but MCU has a shot at being the biggest studio of the year-- Disney for sure will take it again so the domination continues...

Last edited:
Disney+ would eventually surpass NetfliX.

Disney over all as a company have been around way much longer, and have far more resources.

Coming out on digital in mere hours. I don't think WB would be doing it this early if it wasn't considered a flop internally.

Yeah this is disappearing super-fast. It’s a mercy-killing at this point.

Bro am I reading right that this only made 367 mill so far and it's already going to Digital? And being released on blu ray in a little over a month?

Not to be a doomer, but that's really bad for a movie that cost 200 mill to produce. It might not even make 200 mill domestic at this rate. I didn't think the movie would be good based on the crew, but I predicted 600 mill worldwide for this years ago. I figured the Rock usually makes around 300 mill WW and the movie would get a superhero movie boost would push it to 600m. But wow

I really doubt we'll see Black Adam 2. The budget would have to be bigger to pay for The Rocks' salary alone.

I don't even think Black Adam vs Shazam (which they seem to be shying away from in favor of Superman vs Black Adam) would gross that much either now. And I know Shazam 2 will even suffer next year

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohkeelay
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"