Shazam Box Office Thread $

I'd imagine if this earns well under The Batman, good old Uncle Zaslav will have many (stupid) questions.

DCEU movies need to be pulling in big bucks to justify their continued existence. If this does middling to OK... what does it say about future projects? Especially ones starring controversial & potentially criminal actors?

I've been asking the question 'how long does the DCEU limp onwards' for what feels like about six years now. I'll be asking it again if and when Black Adam doesn't set the box office alight.

If Black Adams ends up being either a disappointment or flops at the box office, will the Rock still have a solid footing with the WBD executives?

No reason to really. Box office/money is what matters to them.

I think Zaslav and WBD have been looking at Dwayne as their golden get out of jail card when it comes to the DCEU. If he can’t prop it up, then I’d expect to see some more long range changes coming up (again).

If you’re Zaslav, and Black Adam has either flopped, or just done mediocre business, how confident are you that The Flash will do well, considering who’s starring in it?

If The Rock can’t put asses on seats, then who can?

Expect a lot more attention to turn to Matt Reeves, if Black Adam disappoints. This is not necessarily a good thing.

I think Zaslav and WBD have been looking at Dwayne as their golden get out of jail card when it comes to the DCEU. If he can’t prop it up, then I’d expect to see some more long range changes coming up (again).

If you’re Zaslav, and Black Adam has either flopped, or just done mediocre business, how confident are you that The Flash will do well, considering who’s starring in it?

If The Rock can’t put asses on seats, then who can?

Expect a lot more attention to turn to Matt Reeves, if Black Adam disappoints. This is not necessarily a good thing.
I'm confident Zaslav is not the one who will be able to figure out how to fix the DCEU situation and will only make things worse till he's booted.

Zaslav is most likely lying about not Selling WB.
You will get rid of him that way, when he gets rid of WB.

“The film is currently tracking for an international opening weekend total in the $70 million range.”

Doesn’t seem huge given The Rock’s appeal overseas. So about $130mish worldwide OW.
It might open WW, to what Love and Thunder did only in the US...

Even though audiences like The Rock...marvel has their trust and they've spent a longer time with the character so im not surprised
Totally agree. But the issue is what they spent on this movie. From the studio that was disappointed with MoS making 670m with a similar budget. This just isn't sound spending. Especially with what they looked to have spent on advertising.

Last edited:
I think in general studios need to control their budget on CBMs better. Yes those movies can sell but only to a point (and that point is getting lower) but the rumored budgets look out of hand. Thor 4 is said to have a $250m cost tag which means a $750m intake to just break even for theatrical run. Not sure who with a sane mind green lit that. It’s riskier than throwing dice in Vegas.

Last edited:
It's going to be fun to watch the spin on this.
The spin is easy. U don't compare it to comic book movies or DCEU movies, you compare it to Rock's past movies:

ROCK SETS MASSIVE RECORD-breaking OPENING WKND (compared to his other movies)

Unless it doesn't drop like The Rock in the $econd weekend, then these are "okay" numbers. But miXed reviews, Wakanda Forever out soon and a just okay opening weekend boX office numbers, doesn't bode well for the sequel.

Unless it doesn't drop like The Rock in the $econd weekend, then these are "okay" numbers. But miXed reviews, Wakanda Forever out soon and a just okay opening weekend boX office numbers, doesn't bode well for the sequel.

Oh they'll do a sequel... Johnson, Cavill and their pushy manager has WB in some weird chokehold.

This would need to plummet next weekend for the WB brass to pull the plug.

Oh they'll do a sequel... Johnson, Cavill and their pushy manager has WB in some weird chokehold.

This would need to plummet next weekend for the WB brass to pull the plug.

If the film does mediocre numbers like $600mill....they probably will pull the plug

Original projections were 100 million plus, depending on who you asked, but 75 million was supposedly the last projection.

Will be interesting to see what happens next weekend.

So performing in the ballpark of Shazam +10/15% on twice the budget, despite an expensive marketing push while its studio is struggling financially. Not a disaster but not great either all things considered.
Good news though, it seems to be doing well with families across markets so its legs could be better than expected but I would be surprised if it ends up over 400M total. Which should be the bare minimum for a 200M blockbuster.

So Rock didn't want to be the villain of the Shazam movie, wanted the character to be the star of his own franchise, spends more money on his movie, and doesn't do much better than Shazam did at the BO. That is hilarious.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"