Birds of Prey BoP Box Office Thread

Almost $191 mil. worldwide at this point.

Which means it has now made more than The Predator ($160 mil.), Red Sparrow ($150 mil.), John Wick 2 ($171 mil.), Charlie's Angels ($70 mil.), Ghost in the Shell ($169 mil.) and The Huntsman : Winter's War ($165 mil.).

I wonder if he means 205M before Japan?

Ya and those stats mean it’s not good news, rather debunking the disaster claims.

PS also some people saying it’s the worst cbm performance in the last 10 years thus a disaster (comparing to all those including mostly male lead pg13 films) but when you compare to GL it’s like “nah that’s too long ago landscape changed” and comparing to R female lead flicks it’s like nah they are not cbm.

I’d consider chopping up SS, BvS losses even they made good to great profit and allowing creative freedom to win big with the likes of Joker, Aquaman and maybe break even with BOP a win for the business and audiences overall.

Last edited:
I wonder if he means 205M before Japan?

Ya and those stats mean it’s not good news, rather debunking the disaster claims.

PS also some people saying it’s the worst cbm performance in the last 10 years thus a disaster (comparing to all those including mostly male lead pg13 films) but when you compare to GL it’s like “nah that’s too long ago landscape changed” and comparing to R female lead flicks it’s like nah they are not cbm.

I’d consider chopping up SS, BvS losses even they made good to great profit and allowing creative freedom to win big with the likes of Joker, Aquaman and maybe break even with BOP a win for the business and audiences overall.
A win for the business? Not with the current box office numbers.

If the general public didn't bother to watch it in cinemas, I doubt the general public would suddenly care to watch it online unless its uploaded in a free streaming service.

205 as a final number wouldnt have been too bad under different circumstances.
Who would have ever thought a Harley quinn or a BOP movie would make 200 million a few years ago.

Sad that it cant be written down as a full success, but at least it isnt a complete failure either.
It just wasnt enough to make profit, but i wonder how much the movie has and will make outside of it.
Merchandise, home release etc...would be nice to get a number later but i dont think we ever got that for any movie.

Its a shame that WB didnt promote the movie, its look and feeling had so much potential for so much cool and wacky stuff.

But the one good thing to take away is that its yet another movie that is critically seen in a positive light.
Most who gave it a chance liked it, the general public who watched it was pleased, the critics were.
It shows again that the right way to go is creativly letting directors etc do their thing.
Wonder woman, Aquaman, Shazam, Joker, BOP...5 of 5 in terms of that, is a fantastic number.

Now WB only needs to rethink their marketing approach and the money they invest.

205 as a final number wouldnt have been too bad under different circumstances.
Who would have ever thought a Harley quinn or a BOP movie would make 200 million a few years ago.

Sad that it cant be written down as a full success, but at least it isnt a complete failure either.
It just wasnt enough to make profit, but i wonder how much the movie has and will make outside of it.
Merchandise, home release etc...would be nice to get a number later but i dont think we ever got that for any movie.

Its a shame that WB didnt promote the movie, its look and feeling had so much potential for so much cool and wacky stuff.

But the one good thing to take away is that its yet another movie that is critically seen in a positive light.
Most who gave it a chance liked it, the general public who watched it was pleased, the critics were.
It shows again that the right way to go is creativly letting directors etc do their thing.
Wonder woman, Aquaman, Shazam, Joker, BOP...5 of 5 in terms of that, is a fantastic number.

Now WB only needs to rethink their marketing approach and the money they invest.

Agreed.

The problem, as I see it was a combination of several things taken together -

1. Title of the movie, they should have had "Harley Quinn" as the first word in the title, not the last.

2.'R' rating.

3. Very little Marketing and little hype.

4. No China release due to Corona virus outbreak.

5. Not having explicit connections to larger DCEU, they should have got a few cameos by people from other DCEU movies, like Amanda Waller or even Leto's Joker.

Some Studios are planning to release their summer release movies in China in Sept/ Oct after they are able to control the epidemic and partially open their theaters.

If that's is an option, I say they should release Birds of Prey PG-13 version there, even if it makes "just" $20 mil, there it will still give WB extra $5 mil (25% of the gross
) and add more money to it's International collections.

5. Not having explicit connections to larger DCEU, they should have got a few cameos by people from other DCEU movies, like Amanda Waller or even Leto's Joker.
The DCEU wants their series to run parallel to each other instead of within an extended universe, so that's the trade off you get for letting everyone be creative with their movies. However, you don't get the boost for each movie from seeing familiar characters pop up.

International numbers were not updated since 6 th March, the last known figure for International collections was at $111 mil. I think we will get an update soon. Hoping that Worldwide Total is above $195 mil. at this point.

Sad that it cant be written down as a full success, but at least it isn't a complete failure either. It just wasn't enough to make profit...

BoP will at least break-even - if it hasn't already (depends which "production budget" figure you believe :ninja:). Obviously, this is an under performance, a disappointment, etc. But it won't lose money.

Various trades just estimate what WB has spent on movie's marketing, usually, Sony and Marvel do spend good amount of money to promote their movies.
But over at WB, Walter Hamada is known to spend less on movie's marketing to keep the costs down. Budget of BoP is $85 mil. the rule of thumb is to double the budget and add marketing costs.

Marketing was not good, meaning they spent less than usual amount on marketing (compared to similar budgeted movies, like say for Venom or Shazam) and since the movie was not released in China, they saved marketing money there.

So, if we take usual "rule of thumb" of assuming marketing costs to be proportional to movie's budget, the marketing costs shouldn't be more than $80 mil.

2 x $85 mil + $80 mil = $250 mil.

$250 mil. needed to break even, BoP will finish it's run near $205 mil. If at all they plan to release it in China later this year as a PG-13 movie, it will make some money there, we will see what happens.

Normally, DC movies "earn" about $30 mil. from DVD and Bluray sales in US alone (looking at Shazam). Then there is revenue from overseas sales of DvD and Blurays, revenue form movie streaming , revenue from movie Broadcast rights to different networks like Netflix, Hulu etc.

Lastly, money from movie merchandise and movie product placements and product tie-ins. Taking everything into account, this movie will break even. Shouldn't be that difficult.

Edit: Having said that, movie has massively under-performed in US, (and to some extent Internationally) so no sequel is expected, but it will eventually break-even.

Last edited:
Global Box Office (US + International) has reached $195.8 mil.

Hopefully, after adding US domestic collections for Monday and Tuesday, worldwide total will be at $197 mil.

Those are rather sad Numbers. Im sure good trailers and above CW level costumes could have helped.

Hopefully this at least makes WB not do more vanity projects for their favorite actors with the DCU.

Those are rather sad Numbers. Im sure good trailers and above CW level costumes could have helped.

Hopefully this at least makes WB not do more vanity projects for their favorite actors with the DCU.

Or, based on your (likely) wrong assumptions about trailers and costumes, the lesson learned would be to produce better trailers or have more accurate costumes. If those things "could have helped," according to you, then the problems have nothing to do with your erroneous "vanity project" charge.

This film lacked “CW level costumes” And it benefited from that. I didn’t miss seeing any of that in this. The numbers aren’t amazing but they aren’t abysmal like some make it out to be.

The thing that could have saved the movie:
- a different title for the film that put Harley Quinn up front
- PG-13 rating
- Trailers that highlighted the film more accurately (though I didn’t hate the trailers)

Costumes wouldn’t be at the top of my list, especially when we got some really great outfits for every character.

Or, based on your (likely) wrong assumptions about trailers and costumes, the lesson learned would be to produce better trailers or have more accurate costumes. If those things "could have helped," according to you, then the problems have nothing to do with your erroneous "vanity project" charge.

Well, did those trailers create a lot of hype? Like did they get a lot of views? I am talking about this as a product that is supposed to you know actually make tons of money.

They should have been able to sell it a lot better, just with good marketing. The wierd title probably didnt help. A bad film can do pretty darn well if it is hyped and has a great trailer. I think BoP has had the worst trailers of all the DCEU films.

And it does feel like a bit like vanity project for the main actress.

I liked the posters, thought the trailers were rubbish but loved the final film. I think they could have done a lot better on the marketing and given more of a hint of how good Harley is in this.

A couple rated R movies doing well doesn't change the fact that PG13 and lower cast a wider net and routinely make more money

If for whatever reason they move forward with GCS, it won't be rated R

Birds of Prey is at #4 position at Australian Box Office in Week 5.

The Invisible Man Still in Sight

sdf.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"