• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Black Panther: Wakanda Forever General Discussion and Speculation Thread

I feel it’s more like a strong consensus of people directly involved in the sequel about the no recast decision like the actors, director etc who might find it still emotionally tough to work if it is recasted, which will make it quite difficult to pull off a good movie given the release date. I guess Feige decided not to pull rank on this one to make a tough situation tougher and believes that the crew will make this work without a recast.

I am on the recast camp, I think it’s just more logical, but I can see how attached it can be for those directly involved. They should have delayed the project indefinitely and consult everyone again after awhile to give time to think it through and emotionally cope.

Honestly they definitely should have waited instead of making a tough emotional decision. Have Mbaku be a rep of Wakanda, or Okoye/Nakia, while they sort it all out.

Shame Letitia messed up. Would've loved to see a transformative arc of young queen forced into a role she's not ready for

I mean, if you had another actor who came in and did just as good, if not better, portrayal, would it really not work?

I guess this irks me because I WISH I had, as a Hispanic, a prominent character in the MCU, especially in the Avengers, so I can't imagine how big of a loss this is to young black kids, especially boys, to have an amazing role model, that they can relate to, as a major player in the MCU just get killed off screen. It doesn't sit right with me, even as a narrative choice.

In all the promos of BP that they showed us you saw what it meant to Boaeman to see what TChalla meant to so many people, I'm sure he would want his legacy to grow past his role as him.

As a black man, I have two minds about it: one being, sure they could cast a newcomer or someone else to fill the role and yes that person very well could get the job done. But then also, knowing my people and how we get fiercely attached to someone and have them etched in our memory, I know good and well a lot of us wouldn’t accept a new T’Challa, especially with Boseman’s death so fresh.

For all that, they can write a new role and/or give Shuri or Okoye the mantle of Black Panther. I think a black woman in power and in charge would be marvelous.

As a black man, I have two minds about it: one being, sure they could cast a newcomer or someone else to fill the role and yes that person very well could get the job done. But then also, knowing my people and how we get fiercely attached to someone and have them etched in our memory, I know good and well a lot of us wouldn’t accept a new T’Challa, especially with Boseman’s death so fresh.

For all that, they can write a new role and/or give Shuri or Okoye the mantle of Black Panther. I think a black woman in power and in charge would be marvelous.

I think making Shuri BP is just wack, she didn't earn the mantle the way TChalla did. They set up backstory for that plot point in Civil War so it made narrative sense to take his character on the journey.

Her actress was also sharing anti vaxx **** so I definitely don't want her as BP.

Also if you want a Black QUEEN Marvel has Storm to finally represent in the manner she should be.

I think it will end up being Shuri. I think her living in the shadow of her brother kind of...has to be the movie at this point. If ya ain't gonna recast, I think it is really only course of action. Though her recent Tweets pose a problem.

I respect the decision. I don't know what I would do if I were in Fiege's place. But I'm interested to see what comes next. Shuri took over in the comics, obviously, but that choice never seemed natural to me even before Letita Wright decided to go full anti-vax online. If someone from the first movie gets the title, Nakia would be my choice. She's already a warrior and Lupita is better suited to leading a franchise. After all, Civil War established that the king/queen is not always the Black Panther. Shuri can rule while someone else serves as champion.

One prospect that I haven't seen mentioned is Casper Cole. I think introducing him could be a great way to integrate Boseman's legacy and the power of the first movie directly into the plot of the sequel.

I respect it; obviously a bit saddened but oh well. I think they're definitely going to pull an alternate-universe thing at this point, not in the next movie of course but maybe somewhere in Black Panther 3 territory after it's been a couple years. It's always been the most logical decision to me given the circumstances; T'Challa has to go on in some form or fashion in the long run.

I big-time second Nakia or Okoye actually becoming the Black Panther; the only real problem now is how exactly do they write Boseman's T'Challa out of the current story?

I respect it; obviously a bit saddened but oh well. I think they're definitely going to pull an alternate-universe thing at this point, not in the next movie of course but maybe somewhere in Black Panther 3 territory after it's been a couple years. It's always been the most logical decision to me given the circumstances; T'Challa has to go on in some form or fashion in the long run.

I big-time second Nakia or Okoye actually becoming the Black Panther; the only real problem now is how exactly do they write Boseman's T'Challa out of the current story?

This is why I think not recasting him is dumb, trying to explain how someone as important as TChalla isn't around is gonna be a narrative nightmare.

Killing him offscreen would also be a huge disgrace and disservice to his character and to Boseman.

I don't like it, but it is what it is.

I guess whatever footage or info comes out will have to get me excited because right now the idea of any of the other characters (as we've seen them thus far) as the new BP does nothing for me.

Many people want Shuri. Regardless of whatever the actress has said or done, I don't think the character is ready for it. She isn't physically trained for it, either (Shuri I mean).

Okoye was my favorite character in BP, so I'd love for her to take the mantle. But can a Dora Milaje be BP/Queen of Wakanda? Has that happened in the comics?

The other scenario I see is saying T'challa and Nakia married off screen. She's now Queen of Wakanda and takes the mantle of the Panther after the loss of the King. Lupita is for sure a big name in Hollywood and I have no doubt she can carry the franchise on her shoulders.

Also if you want a Black QUEEN Marvel has Storm to finally represent in the manner she should be.

I thought people really wanted Storm to have the connection to Wakanda in the MCU mainly for her to get together with T'Challa. That's clearly out of the question now.

I think their decision was a hard one but the correct one, it just didn't feel right recasting someone else as T'Challa. I think they have plenty of other options to go down in moving the Black Panther mantle to someone else - Shuri or M'Baku. Not to mention, with the introduction of the multiverse and what they're doing with Spider-Man 3. They have options and I'm confident in Coogler.

Shame Letitia messed up. Would've loved to see a transformative arc of young queen forced into a role she's not ready for

Yeah, but we will see.
Personally im not happy with them not recasting.
I mean i love that they want to Honor chadwick and all, but you could do so much good with the character and an actor who gets the chance to send a good message to black children and all by being the lead.
"killing" Tchalla or so off screen, also doesnt feel too good.

But we will see what they do.

Yeah, but we will see.
Personally im not happy with them not recasting.
I mean i love that they want to Honor chadwick and all, but you could do so much good with the character and an actor who gets the chance to send a good message to black children and all by being the lead.
"killing" Tchalla or so off screen, also doesnt feel too good.

But we will see what they do.
Yeah, how will they deal with his “death”? IMO, to have him killed off-screen is cheap, cheesy and tacky considering how big of a role he has as part of the Avengers and to Chadwick the actor himself.

I feel it’s more like a strong consensus of people directly involved in the sequel about the no recast decision like the actors, director etc who might find it still emotionally tough to work if it is recasted, which will make it quite difficult to pull off a good movie given the release date. I guess Feige decided not to pull rank on this one to make a tough situation tougher and believes that the crew will make this work without a recast.

I am on the recast camp, I think it’s just more logical, but I can see how attached it can be for those directly involved. They should have delayed the project indefinitely and consult everyone again after awhile to give time to think it through and emotionally cope.
Yep.

You said exactly what I was going to say.

I think they didn't go the recast route because most of the cast and crew returning would feel uncomfortable with a new actor taking over the role so soon after Boseman's death.

Feige talked about recast Tony Stark in the past ala James Bond so he isn't against recasting roles. Feige wouldn't want to push the issue and alienate Coogler and co I would imagine.

A lot of people would of liked to see T'Challa's story continue so I get why they are displeased with this news.

Yep.

You said exactly what I was going to say.

I think they didn't go the recast route because most of the cast and crew returning would feel uncomfortable with a new actor taking over the role so soon after Boseman's death.

Feige talked about recast Tony Stark in the past ala James Bond so he isn't against recasting roles. Feige wouldn't want to push the issue and alienate Coogler and co I would imagine.

A lot of people would of liked to see T'Challa's story continue so I get why they are displeased with this news.

I understand that for sure.
Must be tough to work with someone like Chadwick and build a friendship and all, and then after his death being expected to get used to a new actor in that role.

However, personally i see the positive, not mourning a mans death, but celebrating his life and legacy, what he built, what he stood for and giving someone else the chance to have the same effect.

But as we said before, its a tough choice to make either way.
Cant really blame them for going this way, but i just would have liked to see more T'Challa.

I'm pleased with the decision. I wouldn't have envied anyone taking on the role as they would always be compared to Chadwick. Like with Heath Ledger and The Joker... even though Joaquin nailed his version, I don't think I read one article about his performance that didn't mention Heath (even if it was complimentary rather than a negative comparison) That's a LOT for an actor to take on and I think Chadwick's death is too raw for the cast and for the fans.

I think having Shuri take on the role is the most obvious route... especially as that's what happens in the comics. You can also have Shuri struggling to measure up to T'Challa and find her own path. Whether Letitia would actually want to do that? I don't know.

On a side note, I'm disappointed with Letitia and her recent seemingly Anti-Vaxx sentiments so not sure how I feel about her right now.

I think M'Baku would make an interesting choice to take up the mantle. Or W'Kabi as part of a redemption arc.

I think M'Baku would make an interesting choice to take up the mantle. Or W'Kabi as part of a redemption arc.

Wasnt there talk about bringing Killmonger back or so?
Or was that some "We got this covered" kind of bull****?

I feel like i read something about wanting to bring back Michael B. Jordan.

Killmonger as Black Panther is a dumb idea. He died. If they have the power to bring people back to life, why would they waste that on Killmonger and not T'CHALLA!!!! There is no logic there

So, they've choose to bury the character along with Boseman. Shame. That means he won't get any decent solo movie at all (first one was mediocre at best). This whole anti-recast crowd have some reasons to celebrate.

For me, the series has been just killed.

Maybe they can introduce a new character played by a Black male lead, and tell his story of becoming Black Panther and eventually the king of Wakanda? These all are mantles. Maybe he’s another relative of T’Challa. Also, T’Challa’s family doesn’t necessarily have to be head of the throne if they lose in the battle on the mountain.

It’s important to me and many others men and boys that The Black Panther is a Black man, T’Challa or another man. We have Shuri, Nakia, the Dora Milaje, Queen Ramonda as prominent characters for Black women representation.

I'M SO UTTERLY PISSED OFF!

This is an absolute miscarriage of justice to Black Panther fans and to the legacy of the work Chadwick Boseman put himself through throughout his entire battle with his illness.

When you look at the reasons and the circumstances as to why Stan Lee created the character in the first place, it just stings all that much more.

For years fans have cried for this character to be brought to the screen, for years we've had to see other characters be brought to the screen, be given character arcs, be portrayed by multiple actors become embedded in the minds of public consciousness and THE most important black fictional character, a D-lister who had a cult following in the comics and had his profile raised to respectable heights thanks to Christopher Priest back in '98 finally gets his due becomes an A-lister only to be shortchanged just as he was getting started.

The current state of Black Panther comics is a mess...the movie's sequel doesn't even have the lead character and lets be clear, Wakanda and everything about it and everyone from there are props to T'Challa!

So many people like to shout out Shuri! Shuri! Shuri was black panther in the comics. She should become Panther. They've been driving this since before the first fil came out. Yet! the majority of those people didn't even know who Black Panther was prior to 2016. The makority of those people have never picked up let alone read Hudlin's run of Black Panther comics.

T'Challa's appearances in the MCU leave a lot to be desired. A bit part in Civil War, almost got lost in his own solo film, in which he "died", a bit part in Infinity War in which he "dies" and another bit part in End Game. Meanwhile, some of his defining characteristics i.e. his intelligence is stolen and given to his sister, other leading heroes are getting 3 film arcs MINIMUM. Thor is getting a 4t film, Spider-Man will have had 2 sequels in the space between Black Panther 1 and 2. The DCEU has 2 actors cast as Batman and 2 actors cast as the Joker....and now we're getting D+ shows of all these other characters who'll have had more screen time than T'Challa??? Fantastic 4 are showing up and being directed by a director who's directed a spider-man trilogy of films...but we can't get a new black actor to continue the role of T'Challa?? This is a true bastardization.

I can't and I will not support this sequel. This film will be lucky if it does Dr Strange numbers at the Box Office. In fact, I'm likely done with Marvel Studios. End Game really was the end. This is why so many people are in favour of race-bending characters because when we get our own characters, any excuse to kill them off and not bring them back they'll go for, instead of recasting what is so clearly an important role.

I'm mad as hell at this news and there isn't a single reason that anyone can offer me that I can accept this being the right decision. This is a monumental failure and a slap and spit in the face of true Black Panther fans.

Rant over. Out.

This definitely a controversial move on their end. I understand it yet at the same time I want to see T'Challa return at some point as he has to be part of the Avengers at some moment in time.

This definitely a controversial move on their end. I understand it yet at the same time I want to see T'Challa return at some point as he has to be part of the Avengers at some moment in time.

One can argue he was in Tony's version of the Avengers in Civil War. Albiet, not a long tenure. I think we all wish we had gotten more T'Challa. The entire situation sucks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"