Bob Harras new DC Editor-in-Chief

Haha, I guess I never read that panel. That sounds pretty interesting to me, despite the fact that I'm a huge fan of Morrison's prep-time Batgod who has a plan for everything.

Yeah it was during San Diego. :) Batman's costume keeps changing among other things.

Corp wrote that he doesn't understand why we've been having the conversation about Johns' motives. I am explaining why we are having the conversation. Both my statements and Corps have been quite clear.

No, I'm quite comfortable in my assessment that you have misunderstood what I've written or why I've written it. It seems you were more concerned with posting for the sole purpose of presenting your snide, naive, and juvenile analysis of "the type of poster" I am. Perhaps think more carefully about your own conduct before commenting on mine.

Oh never mind. I see what type of poster you are now. Man lix was right.

Oh never mind. I see what type of poster you are now. Man lix was right.
Yes, clearly I am the problem--not the individual who is posting strictly to make snide comments about me, and his bargain basement evaluation of my character.

I don't know if there's sufficient information to make that case, but I'm willing to entertain the possibility. Based on your first quote, it sounds less like Johns decided to do it because Gary wanted to and more like he decided to do it because they were having good ideas about the project collaboratively--it's a small distinction, but I think it's an important one.
Of course there is enough information to make that case. Without Gary Frank, there wouldn't have been any collaboration to form ideas for a Batman project. I really doubt that Johns would have been interested in doing Batman: Earth One without Gary Frank, the same way I doubt that Frank would have been interested in doing various Superman works without Geoff Johns.

Right, and you already have my thoughts on that so we probably don't need to go over it again.
Yes, we do need to go over it again and again and again :awesome:

Fairly, I don't see this as a problem, as the mandate for this series is to be different from the core universe. If there was no difference, well, it would be a pretty pointless exercise. Of course, it remains to be seen whether the differences will be good ones or not.
I'm fine with differences as long as it remains true to the core of the character. I think that DC Earth One is going to succeed in that aspect where Ultimate Marvel has failed miserably IMO thanks to every book that isn't Ultimate Spider-Man.

But I think where Batman: Earth One has the potential to fail is that you need a likeable protagonist. The protagonist has to be likable. It's why Kick-Ass failed as a protagonist in the comic (because he was too pathetic), yet worked fantastically in the movie (because while still somewhat pathetic, you could still root for him). It's why Daken fails as a protagonist (way too much of a pretentious *****ebag). It's why, while a cool character, the Punisher somewhat fails as a protagonist. It's why Superman failed as a protagonist in Azzarello's Superman: For Tomorrow. It's why Batman fails as a protagonist in All-Star Batman & Robin: The Boy Wonder (way too much of a crazy *******).

Basing it off of Johns' previous takes on Batman and comments made, it looks like Earth One Batman is not going to be a likeable protagonist. If you're going to have someone who is a jerk or a spoiled brat as a protagonist, you have to have someone else share the main protagonist spotlight to counter it. It's why Damian Wayne works because you have Dick Grayson to counter his degradation of women, sense of entitlement, and cockiness. It's why the Human Torch works because you have the more responsible members of the Fantastic Four to counter his Paris Hilton styled shenanigans. And you also need something to show that the character has redeeming qualities, again with Damian Wayne where Morrison and Dini have shown that Dick Grayson is make the boy turn in the right direction and with the Human Torch, while shallow on the outside, he is still a good person at heart.

Yes, clearly I am the problem--not the individual who is posting strictly to make snide comments about me, and his bargain basement evaluation of my character.

Glad we cleared that up.

The thing about Batman Earth One, as I have stated over in the thread itself, is that we aren't really seeing a new story.

Batman taking his first, often clumsy steps as a crimefighter and finding it difficult at first? Batman testing and developing his techniques, methods and gear as he goes?

The only way, then, for this to be a worthwhile endevour is for it to be a superior work to Year 1. Not impossible, but highly unlikely. Also, the way I understand it at least, these interpretations are supposed to be different, but still true to the core of the characters. Spoiled brat Bruce Wayne? I don't think so.

Bruce wayne, at his very core, is an exceedingly good human being.

Now, if the case is that it doesn't need to be true to the core of the character, the a spoiled brat Bruce would be justified. However, it's not something i'm interested in. If you can't, or would rather not, write Bruce Wayne..... then don't.

The thing about Batman Earth One, as I have stated over in the thread itself, is that we aren't really seeing a new story.

Batman taking his first, often clumsy steps as a crimefighter and finding it difficult at first? Batman testing and developing his techniques, methods and gear as he goes?

The only way, then, for this to be a worthwhile endevour is for it to be a superior work to Year 1. Not impossible, but highly unlikely. Also, the way I understand it at least, these interpretations are supposed to be different, but still true to the core of the characters. Spoiled brat Bruce Wayne? I don't think so.

Bruce wayne, at his very core, is an exceedingly good human being.

Now, if the case is that it doesn't need to be true to the core of the character, the a spoiled brat Bruce would be justified. However, it's not something i'm interested in. If you can't, or would rather not, write Bruce Wayne..... then don't.

That too :o

I gotta be honest, I enjoy Daken's pretentious *****ebaggyness. It's so non-Wolverine I can't help but enjoy it.

I've only read a very few things with him in it though, so that's probably part of it.

Honestly i wish they bring back the nipples to go with some codpieces!

there's just something about an anatomically correct rubber suit :funny:

I gotta be honest, I enjoy Daken's pretentious *****ebaggyness. It's so non-Wolverine I can't help but enjoy it.

I've only read a very few things with him in it though, so that's probably part of it.

Dark Wolverine started off pretty good, but once Siege hit and the book kept going on, it just got flat out boring. Mostly due to Daken's personality.

He's better suited as a supporting character such as the Dark Avengers and the Dark X-Men.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"