Cable Cord Cutters Thread: Sling, Hulu, YouTube TV, Netflix, and more!

I'm SO resistant to buying CBS all access. I know it's crazy, but I have this attitude "YOU'RE CBS!!! YOU SHOULDN'T BE CHARGING ME!". There's some stuff I want to see, but I hate what they're doing.

Can someone calm me down and explain to me why I should get it?

If you like star trek and Christine Baranski I guess.

I did the 30-day free-trial for Star Trek and Legend of Korra. It was fine. That new Twilight Zone is awful, though. It’s really not a service I’d consider paying for on a monthly basis, as I have zero interest in any of the regular CBS content so the library of all that holds no appeal. When the new Trek seasons come out, I’ll sign up for another month and binge those, but that’s about it.

I did the 30-day free-trial for Star Trek and Legend of Korra. It was fine. That new Twilight Zone is awful, though. It’s really not a service I’d consider paying for on a monthly basis, as I have zero interest in any of the regular CBS content so the library of all that holds no appeal. When the new Trek seasons come out, I’ll sign up for another month and binge those, but that’s about it.
Aw. That sucks to hear.

Well my parents upgraded from DSL to cable which had faster speeds. CenturyLink was going so slow it was 0.5mbps and they're getting almost 80mbps now (they live in a small town and wanted to go cheap) for $20 more a month.

Now the ultimate test is for them to stream simultaneously without the other buffering.

Aw. That sucks to hear.
Yeah, I was really excited to watch it, as the original is one of my favorite shows of all-time (and they even have this cool feature that lets you choose whether you want to watch the episodes of the new one in color or B&W), but the writing is so ham-fisted and obvious, completely lacking any of the nuance and cleverness of the original, it was just kind of painful. I only watched a few eps though, so maybe it gets better, idk.

LOL. Not exactly giving me a reason to get it, but, as always, I appreciate your advice. I was thinking about it for exactly the shows you mentioned. That sucks that the new Twilight Zone stinks. I was hoping it would be good. I watched some of those Room 104 shows on HBO. A few of them were okay, but I didn't really like a lot of them. At least they were only 30 minutes so I didn't feel like I wasted a lot of time when one sucked.

It looks like they only have a 7 day trial. I guess I can shell out a few bucks and then cancel when I'm done. I didn't know until now that Bryan Fuller was involved in ST: Discovery.....color me shocked that you'd have any interest in it. :cwink:

Almost to season 6 of Homeland. :wow:

Well my parents upgraded from DSL to cable which had faster speeds. CenturyLink was going so slow it was 0.5mbps and they're getting almost 80mbps now (they live in a small town and wanted to go cheap) for $20 more a month.

Now the ultimate test is for them to stream simultaneously without the other buffering.

If they are really getting 80M when you run a test, they will have no problems. The consumer speeds don't always stack up as you share bandwidth. Where I work, I order circuits and install networks for branches and offices. The business side gives you true bandwidth and you can order them burstable to higher speeds (at a higher cost of course). I don't know if they're using wireless or not, but have found that you can have buffering problems with wireless in spite of advertised speed. At my mom's house, she was using her Sony BluRay wireless connection and had Netflix buffering problems. I decided to run a 50 foot ethernet (CAT6, but 5 would work) cable from her computer room at the back of the house up into the attic and down some molding I got (I was able to use the fireplace to pretty much hide the molding). BAM!!! Buffering problems gone.

If they have problems, I hope this will help.

If they are really getting 80M when you run a test, they will have no problems. The consumer speeds don't always stack up as you share bandwidth. Where I work, I order circuits and install networks for branches and offices. The business side gives you true bandwidth and you can order them burstable to higher speeds (at a higher cost of course). I don't know if they're using wireless or not, but have found that you can have buffering problems with wireless in spite of advertised speed. At my mom's house, she was using her Sony BluRay wireless connection and had Netflix buffering problems. I decided to run a 50 foot ethernet (CAT6, but 5 would work) cable from her computer room at the back of the house up into the attic and down some molding I got (I was able to use the fireplace to pretty much hide the molding). BAM!!! Buffering problems gone.

If they have problems, I hope this will help.
A hardwired connection is always best, but I'm avoiding the attic/crawlspace as much as possible. :hehe:

A hardwired connection is always best, but I'm avoiding the attic/crawlspace as much as possible. :hehe:

When I was up there running that cable, I must have lost 5 pounds. I was just dripping. Next time, I do this in the morning before the attic turns into a sauna. If I ever build another house, I'm going to insulate the rafters in the attic as well as the ceiling joists. When we remodeled our current home, I ran CAT5+ cable from the cable closet I had added to all of the rooms. That made my life easier.

When I was up there running that cable, I must have lost 5 pounds. I was just dripping. Next time, I do this in the morning before the attic turns into a sauna. If I ever build another house, I'm going to insulate the rafters in the attic as well as the ceiling joists. When we remodeled our current home, I ran CAT5+ cable from the cable closet I had added to all of the rooms. That made my life easier.
Yes, I was told to always do any attic work in the early morning right before the sun comes up.

For those on Sling and don't like the "Are You Still Watching" alerts, you can disable it under Dev options. Just type "IloveJarJar" into the Search and it should pop up. This only works on Roku, Android TV, and Fire TV from what I have heard.

"IloveJarJar"? Well that's one way to avoid anyone doing this by accident. :funny:

Just got a Nvidia Shield TV Pro for all my streaming purposes. Lovin' it so far. The AI 4k upscaling is actually quite effective on some non-4k content, and using it as a Plex server with expandable storage is gonna be a game-changer for me, I can tell. Think I made the right call choosing this over Apple TV.

So Sling got The Simpsons library back well all but Season 1, but I'll take it.

Google raises YouTube TV subscription to $64.99/month - 9to5Google

ehhhh now I think it's the most expensive out of all of them I think

EDIT: and as people have pointed out there are no sports on and people have less money now more than ever. This is when you choose a price hike?
Sweet Jesus! That's TERRIBLE timing. Hulu Live doesn't look so bad now...

EDIT: Looks like Viacom is to blame, BUT YouTube TV is now the only place where you can get Universal, Viacom, Disney, and Discovery. Including all the major networks and PBS. All they need now is Hallmark and they're the dominant service.

Last edited:
Sweet Jesus! That's TERRIBLE timing. Hulu Live doesn't look so bad now...
I bet Hulu Live will go up too. Before the end of the year
But at least Hulu Live comes with Hulu itself depending on the plan.

YouTube really needs to a) have price tiers for YouTube Tv and b) bundle YouTube Music and Premium with YouTube TV.
Bundling is all the rage.

As soon as they announced the Viacom deal a couple months ago, I knew this was inevitable. Oh well, glad I don’t have to pay for my YtTV (bless their family plans). My dad won’t care. $15 is nothing to him compared to the inconvenience of having to sign up for and learn a new streaming service. :funny:

I bet Hulu Live will go up too. Before the end of the year
But at least Hulu Live comes with Hulu itself depending on the plan.

YouTube really needs to a) have price tiers for YouTube Tv and b) bundle YouTube Music and Premium with YouTube TV.
Bundling is all the rage.
Just don't make it too complex like Sling...

As soon as they announced the Viacom deal a couple months ago, I knew this was inevitable. Oh well, glad I don’t have to pay for my YtTV (bless their family plans). My dad won’t care. $15 is nothing to him compared to the inconvenience of having to sign up for and learn a new streaming service. :funny:
Me and my brother split it, but it's still a bit much of a hike.
But again this is gonna happen everywhere. Anywhere that has CBS or any other VIacom things

Yeah

Idk YouTube and Google are weird about things. If you count YT as a streaming service it's the biggest music streaming service and one of the biggest video streaming services, but they don't leverage that a lot. YouTube TV and YouTube Music are great, but you gotta bundle things now

I actually like the flexibility of Sling's services. If I weren't getting free YTTV and didn't have Locast available to me for my broadcast networks, I'd probably go back to Sling, as Sling is the only "cheaper" option to include any of those locals.

But as it is, if my dad ever cancels our YTTV, I'll probably just go with Philo. Philo + Locast would give me all the live TV channels I could ever need. I don't do sports at all, so there are really only a select few cable channels I even care about (BBC America, AMC, Paramount Network, mainly). Philo would easily have me covered.

I actually like the flexibility of Sling's services. If I weren't getting free YTTV and didn't have Locast available to me for my broadcast networks, I'd probably go back to Sling, as Sling is the only "cheaper" option to include any of those locals.

But as it is, if my dad ever cancels our YTTV, I'll probably just go with Philo. Philo + Locast would give me all the live TV channels I could ever need. I don't do sports at all, so there are really only a select few cable channels I even care about (BBC America, AMC, Paramount Network, mainly). Philo would easily have me covered.
I like Philo, but I'm a Turner ****e who likes her Rick and Morty and Final Space. So Sling is my go to, but my only request is for Sling to add real Nickelodeon. It's the only weird omission to its lineup.

I like Philo, but I'm a Turner ****e who likes her Rick and Morty and Final Space.
I don't know about Final Space, but isn't Rick & Morty also up on Hulu the next day? I don't watch either show but my brother was saying he wanted Hulu for the new Rick & Morty eps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"