Cable Cord Cutters Thread: Sling, Hulu, YouTube TV, Netflix, and more!

I don't know about Final Space, but isn't Rick & Morty also up on Hulu the next day? I don't watch either show but my brother was saying he wanted Hulu for the new Rick & Morty eps.
Yes they are, but I'm a creature of habit and live TV is still my preference to on-demand streaming.

Ah, gotcha. :up: I'm that way with my premium networks - the reason I had subscribed to HBO through Hulu instead of HBO Now is because Hulu offered the live HBO channels, and sometimes I just liked to turn it on and see whatever movies were playing. Gave that up for the $11.99/mo discount on HBO Max though, and I do miss it. Once my discount runs out next year, I'll probably resubscribe through Hulu, unless HBO Max adds live channels in the meantime (Showtime has them on their app, dammit!).

i have been cable free 2 months now i think. there are some live things i kinda miss, but not really. i have so much on Apple TV and Vudu that i haven't watched yet of my own so i'm slowly (heavy emphasis on slowly) working through those. i kept my internet and that's been pretty much all i need.

a friend of mine has given me access to her Netflix and Disney Plus as a thanks for all the toilet paper, lysol, groceries etc that i helped her family get when the pandemic first started and things were really bad. i still gave her some money towards it though. i haven't really used them though. i've watched 1 netflix movie and will use D+ to watch hamilton tomorrow lol

Ugh Fubo TV is getting a $10 price increase because it added Disney channels, but lost Turner...

Aaaannnd Hulu may increase too with Viacom channels being added in the fall.

Oh yeah, Hulu's definitely about to do another price hike as well. No doubt.

Also, I was wrong y'all, my dad DID care about the YTTV price hike. He called me about it this evening to rant, but as soon as I pointed out to him he could now cancel Philo (yes, he had both, originally got Philo for Investigation Discovery and Paramount Network, both of which are now on YTTV), he was happy again, as he's actually saving 5 bucks a month now compared to before, lol.

FuboTV has always seemed over-priced to me, but then again, I don't care about sports. I guess if you're really into sports it would be worth it.

Oh yeah, Hulu's definitely about to do another price hike as well. No doubt.

Also, I was wrong y'all, my dad DID care about the YTTV price hike. He called me about it this evening to rant, but as soon as I pointed out to him he could now cancel Philo (yes, he had both, originally got Philo for Investigation Discovery and Paramount Network, both of which are now on YTTV), he was happy again, as he's actually saving 5 bucks a month now compared to before, lol.

FuboTV has always seemed over-priced to me, but then again, I don't care about sports. I guess if you're really into sports it would be worth it.
There's still no Hallmark. I would actually consider switching to YTTV if it had Hallmark... Yes I know Frndly is a thing.

EDIT: If Hulu Live adds Viacom channels, I may switch to it. I liked it better than Sling, but the lack of Viacom was noticeable.

Last edited:
There's still no Hallmark. I would actually consider switching to YTTV if it had Hallmark... Yes I know Frndly is a thing.
My dad would love to live without all things Hallmark, but unfortunately for him, my stepmom pays for that separate Hallmark movies service for "them," lol.

My dad would love to live without all things Hallmark, but unfortunately for him, my stepmom pays for that separate Hallmark movies service for "them," lol.
I can't live without my I Love Lucy, Golden Girls, and Fraiser reruns. :argh:

And I like to make fun of the movies.

I didn't know Hulu had Lucy. I just learned it has Just Shoot Me .
Yeah I honestly find myself watching more old favorite shows on Hulu than I do on Netflix, Amazon, Disney+, HBO Max, etc. Maybe it's just the way my tastes skew, but they seem to have such a wide variety from all the broadcast networks.

Yeah I honestly find myself watching more old favorite shows on Hulu than I do on Netflix, Amazon, Disney+, HBO Max, etc. Maybe it's just the way my tastes skew, but they seem to have such a wide variety from all the broadcast networks.
You're not alone. I don't know what happened to Netflix, but since Friends left I've noticed how scarce their content for classic television is.

So Sling got The Simpsons library back well all but Season 1, but I'll take it.
Ugh they don't have the entire seasons. They just cycle the episodes around. Damn Disney.

My $200+/month landline+cable+internet Xfinity contract is expiring so I might cut the cord like @ComicChick . Keep my internet and then just do streaming. Based on the comments, it looks like Hulu is the best way to go?

Ah, gotcha. :up: I'm that way with my premium networks - the reason I had subscribed to HBO through Hulu instead of HBO Now is because Hulu offered the live HBO channels, and sometimes I just liked to turn it on and see whatever movies were playing. Gave that up for the $11.99/mo discount on HBO Max though, and I do miss it. Once my discount runs out next year, I'll probably resubscribe through Hulu, unless HBO Max adds live channels in the meantime (Showtime has them on their app, dammit!).

I’m looking at Hulu’s add on packages and they now say HBO Max instead of HBO. I’m wondering if this means that they’re cutting out the live HBO channels? I love the live channels too. Sometimes I just keep it on one when I’m doing house chores. :funny:

I can’t wait to watch HBO Max on my TV. I have it through Xfinity and I can only watch it on my phone and iPad (I have Amazon Fire hooked up on my TV and Xfinity doesn’t have the HBO Max app).

My $200+/month landline+cable+internet Xfinity contract is expiring so I might cut the cord like @ComicChick . Keep my internet and then just do streaming. Based on the comments, it looks like Hulu is the best way to go?

I’m looking through Hulu’s add on packages and they now say HBO Max instead of HBO. I’m wondering if this means that they’re cutting out the live HBO channels? I love the live channels too. Sometimes I just keep it on one when I’m doing house chores. :funny:
Hulu basic ($5.99/mo with ads, $11.99/mo for ad-free) is definitely worth it for the on-demand library, imo, but if you're looking for live channels, between Hulu + Live TV ($55/mo) and YouTube TV ($65/mo), YTTV is the better live service, IMO. Bigger channel selection, free unlimited cloud DVR (Hulu gives you a 50-hour DVR, and you have to pay to upgrade to more space and the ability to fast-forward through commercials), and it allows for more simultaneous streams. And like I said, I think Hulu's about to hike their price up just like YTTV did, so I doubt they'll have the price advantage for long. Before YTTV's recent hike, they were the cheaper service of the two, and I have a feeling they will be again soon. But of course, it also depends on which channels you care about. Hulu Live not having AMC and BBC America would be a deal-breaker for me, for example.

Also, if you get HBO Max through Hulu, you only get the HBO content via their app, so you still need to download the HBO Max app for all the "Max" content (which means you'll need a streaming device that carries that app, which is still currently NOT Roku or Amazon Firestick, FYI). You'll just have free access to that app via your Hulu credentials. That's the same way it was before with the HBO Now app - they basically just changed the app's name and added all that new content. So I don't think anything is changing with Hulu's HBO setup - they should still have access to the live HBO channels like before.

Hulu basic ($5.99/mo with ads, $11.99/mo for ad-free) is definitely worth it for the on-demand library, imo, but if you're looking for live channels, between Hulu + Live TV ($55/mo) and YouTube TV ($65/mo), YTTV is the better live service, IMO. Bigger channel selection, free unlimited cloud DVR (Hulu gives you a 50-hour DVR, and you have to pay to upgrade to more space), and it allows for more simultaneous streams. And like I said, I think Hulu's about to hike their price up just like YTTV did, so I doubt they'll have the price advantage for long. Before YTTV's recent hike, they were the cheaper service of the two, and I have a feeling they will be again soon. But of course, it also depends on which channels you care about. Hulu Live not having AMC and BBC America would be a deal for me, for example.

Also, if you get HBO Max through Hulu, you only get the HBO content via their app, so you still need to download the HBO Max app for all the "Max" content (which means you'll need a streaming device that carries that app, which is still currently NOT Roku or Amazon Firestick, FYI). You'll just have free access to that app via your Hulu credentials. That's the same way it was before with the HBO Now app - they basically just changed the app's name and added all that new content. So I don't think anything is changing with Hulu's HBO setup - they should still have access to the live HBO channels like before.

Thanks for the info! AMC and BBC America are a must for me too so that definitely changes things. Can they please just hurry up and add HBO Max to Amazon Firestick??????!!!!! :waa:

Thanks for the info! AMC and BBC America are a must for me too so that definitely changes things. Can they please just hurry up and add HBO Max to Amazon Firestick??????!!!!! :waa:
You can side-load it onto a Firestick fairly easily, FYI:

I switched from my Roku back to my old Firestick and did that. And I lasted about a week, remembered how much I hated Firesticks, and decided it was finally time to get that high-end streamer I'd been meaning to get for a while. :funny:

I switched from my Roku back to my old Firestick and did that. And I lasted about a week, remembered how much I hated Firesticks, and decided it was finally time to get that high-end streamer I'd been meaning to get for a while. :funny:

OMG thanks! :hrt: I’m SO happy to finally have it in my TV.

Someone finally learned. :p

I’m looking at Hulu’s add on packages and they now say HBO Max instead of HBO. I’m wondering if this means that they’re cutting out the live HBO channels? I love the live channels too. Sometimes I just keep it on one when I’m doing house chores. :funny:

I can’t wait to watch HBO Max on my TV. I have it through Xfinity and I can only watch it on my phone and iPad (I have Amazon Fire hooked up on my TV and Xfinity doesn’t have the HBO Max app).
I would prioritize which channels you definitely watch and find a service with those channels. Hulu Live is good, but like @flickchick85 said it may go up cause they're negotiating for Viacom to include their channels. If you don't like sports or news, there's Philo. If you want best bang for your buck, I would say Sling is good. But I think YouTube TV is probably the best one right now. Hulu Live pays extra for stuff that YTTV already has in their base package.

Plus Sling and Hulu have Alexa integration if you have Fire TV. Philo has limited integration that sort of works.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"