Can you see this? The Invisible Woman thread.

I don't want to pick nits about Jessica vs. Kate. I like both actresses, and yes both parts were underwritten, but Story's version of Sue is an Oscar winning role compared to this film.

At least in Story's F4, she is given something to do. She acts as the surrogate mother for the team (as she did in the comics), and there's legit chemistry with the other actors. But the biggest thing, is uh...yeah she actually USES HER INVISIBILITY POWER!!!

With Fan **** stick, they wrote all this BS stuff for Sue's backstory like her listening to music to find patterns, or her being adopted from Kosovo, which was all neat and stuff, except that they actually forgot to write a character in the process.

I found it absolutely comical how she had nothing to do in the movie so Trank filmed countless scenes where she's sitting behind a desk whacking away at a keyboard.

There are 2 scenes in the first movie where she has a wig on because they were added scenes, and she had already cut her hair. I'm not sure why they didn't just use that wig again, you couldn't tell the difference.

I guess it got lost in the prop department. :D

To be honest in the second film the hair didn't bother me as much as the weird contact lenses. I don't know who approved that in the costume department.

She looked perfectly fine in the first movie

So casting her was no problem. They just went overboard on the 2nd for some reason
6a00cdf39d6877cb8f00d09e782dcabe2b.jpg

She went Waynes brothers from White Chicks in the 2nd movie. It was weird.

What role did she not get?

She is a huge fan of Robert Rodriguez and has done 5 films for him.

She loves doing indie films on the whole, and has done several since F4.

She got married, 2 children, a billion business.

She doesn't need Hollywood, she took her money, invested it and has done quite well.

I think Spidey is trying to say that she did not establish herself as a good actress and most films with her in it were considered to be 'meh'...

They aren't banging on her door to play Lady MacBeth.

I think it's very odd that of the original cast, only Chris Evans really turned himself into a superstar.

As pointed out, Alba has made more from her business than she's ever made from acting. But her acting career has definitely stalled. Now she also has young children and with her company, that may partially be by design. But never the less she's not getting acting roles.

Ioan Gruffudd, who amazingly had the biggest slump in his career. He was getting all kinds of jobs around the time of the FF movies, but his latest endeavor in Television, has come to a close with his show 'Forever' being cancelled (which I thought was pretty good).

Michael Chiklis also had numerous TV shows cancelled, and now seems to be concentrating on his music career. He's actually a really good singer and plays drums, and has a home recording studio. But as far as acting his stock has definitely fallen since the end of 'The Shield' which was one of my all time favorite TV shows.

I think it's very odd that of the original cast, only Chris Evans really turned himself into a superstar.

As pointed out, Alba has made more from her business than she's ever made from acting. But her acting career has definitely stalled. Now she also has young children and with her company, that may partially be by design. But never the less she's not getting acting roles.

Ioan Gruffudd, who amazingly had the biggest slump in his career. He was getting all kinds of jobs around the time of the FF movies, but his latest endeavor in Television, has come to a close with his show 'Forever' being cancelled (which I thought was pretty good).

Michael Chiklis also had numerous TV shows cancelled, and now seems to be concentrating on his music career. He's actually a really good singer and plays drums, and has a home recording studio. But as far as acting his stock has definitely fallen since the end of 'The Shield' which was one of my all time favorite TV shows.
Yeah, that's true, and ironically Evans became a superstar by playing a character in the MCU.

The last I saw Gruffudd was in Horrible Bosses, where he played a gigolo who specialized in urinating on people. Maybe I haven't been watching enough TV though.

Yeah, that's true, and ironically Evans became a superstar by playing a character in the MCU.

The last I saw Gruffudd was in Horrible Bosses, where he played a gigolo who specialized in urinating on people. Maybe I haven't been watching enough TV though.

His show, Forever, was very good, and he was much more like Reed Richards in there than in FF. It was a shame that it was cancelled, because many people seemed to like it. It was just scheduled at a bad time.

And before that, he was in that other cancelled show Ringer.

And before that, he was in that other cancelled show Ringer.

Well he wasn't the lead in that, and it was a bit of a silly premise anyway bordering on daytime TV soaps.

His show, Forever, was very good, and he was much more like Reed Richards in there than in FF. It was a shame that it was cancelled, because many people seemed to like it. It was just scheduled at a bad time.

Yeah, he's a really good actor, and that was a really fun show. ABC really messed them up by that time slot.

The other thing for him that, while I admire him for not bowing to Hollywood pressure to change his name, or change it to the Anglicized version "Euan/Ewan Griffith".

It's really hard to promote yourself, like when he went on the View and Rosie O'Donnel kept calling him "Johan".

I think that works against him, although ironically hasn't seem to hurt fellow Welshman Rhys Ifans.

Yeah, he's a really good actor, and that was a really fun show. ABC really messed them up by that time slot.

The other thing for him that, while I admire him for not bowing to Hollywood pressure to change his name, or change it to the Anglicized version "Euan/Ewan Griffith".

It's really hard to promote yourself, like when he went on the View and Rosie O'Donnel kept calling him "Johan".

I think that works against him, although ironically hasn't seem to hurt fellow Welshman Rhys Ifans.

The supporting cast of Forever was good as well, and they all gelled as a cast. Lucas was hilarious. It's a real shame and I would miss that show more than many others that have been cancelled or could have been cancelled. They weren't even able to shop it out to another network.

It also made me wish that Ioan was actually Reed Richards in the MCU now. If he hadn't been in the Story movies and were cast as Reed now and played him more like his character in Forever, he would be fantastic in the role.

I agree, it was the script that held him back in the Story films, not his acting. Plus being in his 40's now, I think he'd be a better fit for Reed than he was at 31. It would put him as more of a pier for Tony and Bruce.

Michael Chiklis is guest starring in the upcoming season of Gotham on Fox.

I feel bad for Ioan Gruffudd. Gruffudd talked about his confidence taking a knock when he couldn't get roles and going to talk to someone about it. I think he was suffering from depression or something.

It probably doesn't help that Gruffudd's Drama school buddies (Damian Lewis, Dominic West & James Frain) are getting roles in acclaimed and high profile stuff while he isn't.

Gruffudd's played anti-slavery abolitionist William Wilberforce in the underrated Amazing Grace. Even his co-star in that film, Benedict Cumberbatch seems to be having a better career than him now
tumblr_mav0jpc_RRY1qhrj0uo1_500.jpg

Last edited:
The backlash against the new movie is so great that I think people may actually accept going back to the old cast (recast Evans and maybe Alba? and make Thing CGI but with shorts) as a gesture of the last one never having happened. In fact, you could just have them show up in a Marvel or XMen movie and retrofit the first two movies into continuity.

Nah...

The other guy who has seemingly dropped off the map is Julian McMahon. Which is really surprising to me after his success on Nip Tuck. He's just not getting the roles he did anymore.

Well from all the royalties he most likely collects from Charmed, Nip/Tuck, and even his Fantastic Four movies, I'm sure he's doing just fine.

Evans is big but he hasn't really done anything big outside of Marvel. So he is a comic superstar.

Alba doesn't do that much acting anymore so I don't think she cant land roles, she chooses what she wants to do, but she has a extremely successful company that is worth MAJOR money.

Chiklis keeps jumping from tv show to tv show as does Ioan, which is nothing wrong but they haven't found the right show yet.

So I went to IMDb to check the StarMeter ranking and out of the 4... Kate Mara seems to be the most popular in IMdb at the moment ranking at #2.

And since it was discussed. Kate >>> Jessica.

Just watch how Jessica delivered these lines "Do you even hear yourself who do you think you are" and "dont even think about it"

then compare that to Kate's delivery of "I cant believe you're still defending him" and "ooh Doctor Doom over here". Kate is just more skilled and natural IMO.

So I went to IMDb to check the StarMeter ranking and out of the 4... Kate Mara seems to be the most popular in IMdb at the moment ranking at #2.

Just watch how Jessica delivered these lines "Do you even hear yourself who do you think you are" and "dont even think about it"

then compare that to Kate's delivery of "I cant believe you're still defending him" and "ooh Doctor Doom over here". Kate is just more skilled and natural IMO.

I think Mara is certainly a better actress than Alba, but both were bad and miscast as Sue.

Alba doesn't do that much acting anymore so I don't think she cant land roles, she chooses what she wants to do, but she has a extremely successful company that is worth MAJOR money.

Years ago during her "prime", she complained about the roles she was given. Again, if that allowed her to focus on her successful company, more power to her. But, let's not pretend she was ever Meryl Streep.

Mara wasn't miscast, she just didn't have a role to act out.

Mara is a good actress, but I'd never point to this movie as an example of her acting skills. Kate was ****ty in this movie. Granted she was given cheesy lines like "Dr. Doom over here".

Mara wasn't miscast, she just didn't have a role to act out.

^This

There is no character for Sue Storm in this movie. It's more like a caracature of some smart aloof chick hacker type that is never fleshed out. This is true of most of the characters in this film.

People keep talking about how bad Trank was, that I think they forget what a completely crappy script this was and shows that most of Kinberg's good work was collaborated with other people. The guy flat out cannot write.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"