First Avenger 'Captain America' May Be Marvel's First 3D Film

VenomVsSpidey

Superhero
Reaction score
With 3D films being seen as a license to print money, it's not at all surprising that Marvel would be pondering when to jump on the bandwagon. Rumors abounded that Iron Man would be converted into 3D, to accompany a 3D Iron Man 2. Those proved to be unfounded, though Kevin Feige admitted to Heat Vision that they thought about it, but ran out of time in post production. "We couldn't have turned over a version of the movie 10 or 20 weeks earlier for 3-D conversion without undermining the quality," he said. "We used all the time we had for mixing and editing and discovering the right tone." (Seeing the quick-and-dirty 3D Clash of the Titans may have helped that decision too!)

If Marvel is going to do 3D, they want to do 3D right. "The team has been doing a lot of research into 3-D processes, and we're looking at it on future films when we have the time," Feige said. "We will be doing it at some point." That point may be Thor (which wasn't shot on 3D cameras and would have to be converted in post), but it's far more likely to be The First Avenger: Captain America. That begins shooting this summer in England, giving them ample time to use 3D cameras and all kinds of technological wizardry. It would also be a pretty ideal character to debut 3D with -- Cap is, after all, known for throwing that indestructible shield of his. He also slams people around a lot. It's the ideal prop for 3D, moreso than Mjolnir. (That's my humble opinion, of course.)

Of course, to those who really don't care for 3D, this will come as a bitter disappointment. If there's one thing the Marvel Universe might not need, it's more bells and whistles. Then again, the possibility of seeing Iron Man do 3D pelvic thrusts is an awfully tempting one.

http://www.cinematical.com/2010/05/10/captain-america-may-be-marvels-first-3d-film/

They'd better not have any poke the camera shots in this movie. I don't want the 2D experience ruined by a gimmick.

God no. As a period piece, 3D would be completely stupid.

For Cap, it'd be pretty cool. The inedible shot where Cap throws his shield at the audience would be epic.

i said this over in the thor boards just a little while ago on this topic:
YEa i too saw the news article on main page and a few others about marvel studios thinking of doing 3d releases. Now kevin feige didnt say they were going to do it. Just they are looking into it. And if they did do it captain america and avengers would be shot in 3d since both are not filming yet. But since thor is wrapping up shortly it would have to be converted into post. Now i do hope they dont get into the whole 3d bandwagon and all that. I like it and all. But if it doesnt get done right it can look like crap. So hopefully if they do it they will take the time to do it right. But we shouldnt get to bent out over it yet. Since we dont know if it will happen or not yet.

I have to agree with Nirvana, a period piece wouldn't really suit 3D. Though I know that Cap isn't entirely a period piece, but the story between the action set pieces would certainly fall into that catagory.

Plus even with the action it could just as easily look daft. I mean I was hoping for 'Saving Private Ryan' style action scenes, and I'm not entirely convinced that would translate well in 3D.

With the film going into production within a month and a half hopefully we will get some more insights from joe johnston on the whole possibly 3d or no 3d deal. I would like i said over in the thor board since production is so close to going and they probably already locked in equipment and been testing with it i would just stick with 2d cameras and have the film be 2d. Leave 3d for avengers since they would have more months to work on the 3d processes and look at the 3d equipment to see which is the best and which is the most cost effective to use and all that. But at least feige didnt come out and say all marvel studios films will be 3d like other studio execs been saying since avatar release and all that. So we should just wait and see what happens and take it once we have official word.

For Cap, it'd be pretty cool. The inedible shot where Cap throws his shield at the audience would be epic.
I would love that. It means my extra money on the ticket meant I got some 3d. So far the only 3d movie that had things come at you was My Bloody Valentine. All other 3d films are just "added depth."

yea this topic is in thor as well, i'll just say the same thing. when i buy this movie on blu ray 3d wont matter. whatever they do in the cinema is irrelevant to me. no one will make you watch it in 3d so it doesnt really matter. i just hope there arent any cheesy scenes with the shield flying towards camera

well maybe it could be a factor since there are 3d bluray players coming out now and the 3d tvs out too. But yea its just to soon to know whats marvel plans will ultimately be.

Unless the 3-D is used to enhance and not to throw things at the audience I'm alright with it.

I'm confident we'll see a couple of the 3-D shield shots. :up:

If the film was made in 2D the shield would still be thrown towards the screen anyway.

yea and we still dont know what marvel studios plan is yet. Since they did only say they were looking into doing 3d stuff not out right saying thor, cap, avengers will 100% be 3d releases. And for cap shack since we are about a month from filming. We will probably get some news from joe and other crew members how things will be and all that. Hopefully they will stick to just 2d films for now.

Unlike most of you, I am really interested in seeing a period piece in 3D. :up:

As long as its not Clash of the titans 3d.

well with filming starting up at the end of the month we will more then likely get some quote from joe whats going to happen will they shoot in 3d, will they shoot in 2d and will it be 2d release or a 3d release.

I say why the hell not...it'll up the box office gross, and make a sequel more likely.

I think 3D would be fine. Him throwing the shield would look cool in 3D. It is a period piece, but as long as they don't make the film strictly a need to watch in 3D film and don't throw in jumping at the screen shots every 5 seconds, I don't think it would hurt. Plus, it could help boost BO sales. Due to the shield, 3D prob works better for Cap than many of the other Marvel heroes.

You know if 3-D offends you guys so much, you can just not see it.

I'm not a fan, and that's exactly what I will be doing. I don't see how it hurts you as a fan to have someone else enjoy the 3-D version; I can see if they ONLY did the film in 3-D how that would suck, but they aren't...so what's the big deal?

I think some people complain because they live in small towns where theor theatre offers one or the other and are sometimes stuck with the 3-d.

I think some people complain because they live in small towns where theor theatre offers one or the other and are sometimes stuck with the 3-d.

Bingo. I had no choice and had to see both AiW and COTT in 3D. I much rather would have not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"