The Dark Knight Rises Casting Call (All Villains)

One question for the folks supporting Viggo Mortensen for Hugo Strange. Remember he was Nolan's first choice to play Ra's al Ghul in Batman Begins, and he turned it down. What makes you think he'll change his mind now?
I'm not necessarily a supporter of Mortensen for Strange, but I do like those performances of his that I've seen. Having said that, he might not have been aware of what Nolan intended to do with the franchise at that time, and now that TDK's had so much exposure, he might change his mind.

I'm not necessarily a supporter of Mortensen for Strange, but I do like those performances of his that I've seen. Having said that, he might not have been aware of what Nolan intended to do with the franchise at that time, and now that TDK's had so much exposure, he might change his mind.

That's a fair point. I'm a fan of Viggo and would certainly be happy if he did end up in the film. I just wasn't sure how likely that would be. But yeah, like you say, the context could be different. Being in the Batman film following The Dark Knight sounds a lot more enticing than being in the Batman film following Batman & Robin.

Why do you want Det. Sarah Essen in the film so much? I think it would be a bit of a waste personally.

I like the idea of a strong female detective on the force... and I'm loosely basing my wishes on the rumor that Naomi Watts is on the "short list" for either a love interest or a villain (which probabably isn't even true or confirmed).

I just like Naomi Watts... and I like the idea of a female detective on the force to go after Batman (but maybe falls for Bruce). I don't want two female villains... thus I went with Sarah Essen. It wouldn't kill me if Sarah Essen isn't even the name of the character in the movie, though. I think Nolan would probably go with a brand new name if he goes with a female detective.

I definitely want Catwoman (played by Rachel Weisz), Hugo Strange and Deadshot. JMO.

Why do you want Det. Sarah Essen in the film so much? I think it would be a bit of a waste personally.

You know that the film will have two female roles, right?
I put my money in Talia and Sarah Essen.
A villain(Talia)and a detective(Sarah).:yay:

Naomi Watts is such a waste of talent for a character like Essen. She shouldnt play characters that minor.

They said they would have 2 female roles. 1 villain role, and 1 romantic interest. So... I don't think thatd be Essen

But the other love interest may be for Gordon.
It´s plausible,because the female villain will be the Bruce/Batman´s love interest too.
If it´s Talia or Catwoman,I doubt they would be only as villain and not his love interest...do you see?
So I assume that would be more likely one villain/love interest for Bruce/Batman,and the other would be Gordon´s love interest.
My money is still on Talia and Sarah Essen. :)

Notice how Essen didn't even exist to Hypesters until that rumor popped up about her possibly being in the film. Now suddenly people are 'putting their money' on her and think she's the bee's knees. A bit like Killer Croc, Hugo Strange, Deacon Blackfire (to a lesser extent), etc.

I think people bank a bit too much on that sort of trend-based hive mentality. We've already been taught a lesson with Nolan dismissing Riddler. Frankly, most of these character popularity trends seem to have spawned from that very event. Like without Riddler, everyone's looking for a new star to cling onto. Perhaps a bit too desperately. :oldrazz:

Not to be exceedingly blunt, but don't be surprised if he shoots the new bandwagons down too.

You didn't answer my question. I was wondering why you want her out of any other number of females from the Bat-universe to be in the film.

One question for the folks supporting Viggo Mortensen for Hugo Strange. Remember he was Nolan's first choice to play Ra's al Ghul in Batman Begins, and he turned it down. What makes you think he'll change his mind now?

Maybe Chris can convince him otherwise this time around after the success of the Bat films and IF Viggo likes the story of TDKR?

Worth a shot.

Notice how Essen didn't even exist to Hypesters until that rumor popped up about her possibly being in the film. Now suddenly people are 'putting their money' on her and think she's the bee's knees. A bit like Killer Croc, Hugo Strange, Deacon Blackfire (to a lesser extent), etc.

I think people bank a bit too much on that sort of trend-based hive mentality. We've already been taught a lesson with Nolan dismissing Riddler. Frankly, most of these character popularity trends seem to have spawned from that very event. Like without Riddler, everyone's looking for a new star to cling onto. Perhaps a bit too desperately. :oldrazz:

Not to be exceedingly blunt, but don't be surprised if he shoots the new bandwagons down too.

Well, I'm not putting any money on anything besides Hardy being in this film and Catwoman being in it as well.

Otherwise, IF there is going to be a special task force set up to try and capture The Batman, then it's certainly possible Sara Essen may be part of that group, along with Strange, Sgt Lawton/Cort/Bullock, and Gordon of course.

I would assume that IF Essen does wind up in this film, there will be NO love affair between her and Gordon either. That little sub plot from the books would be a waste of time and uneccessary IMO on the big screen.

I also can see Essen possibly revealing herself to be Talia Al Ghul towards the end in some wickeD surprise to the GENERAL MOVIE GOING PUBLIC/AUDIENCE.

Maybe Chris can convince him otherwise this time around after the success of the Bat films and IF Viggo likes the story of TDKR?

Worth a shot.

And it would continue the trend of Nolan casting actors who got their willies out in other films as his Bat-villains. :awesome:

I think you're making massive assumptions here. Killer Croc's name has been getting thrown around for ages, getting increasingly popular in stages after 1) his grounded depiction in the Gotham Knight cartoon, 2) his similarly "realistic" portrayal in the Joker graphic novel, and 3) his appearance in the Arkham Asylum video game, where he was second only to The Joker in prominence and menace. So he's had support since way before the Millar comment about a villain from his childhood made people guess Croc. And Hugo Strange had his own discussion thread that was 7 pages long before the rumor from Batman-News was posted, and I was bringing him up as a strong possibility and someone who could work well in the film even when The Riddler was my top choice and not out of the running yet.

People aren't just supporting villains because they want to back the winning horse after The Riddler's elmination from the running. Some are, probably, but there are plenty who... gasp... actually like the characters they're talking up. That's a real pet peeve of mine, when someone tries to invalidate another person's opinion by saying no, they don't actually believe what they're saying, they're just "jumping on the bandwagon" or "joining in the hive mentality".

I think you're making massive assumptions here.

Just watching the trends unfold.

I'd say you're making massive assumptions about me. It's not like I'm new here, you don't have to point out to me what I already know. I'm fully aware that there are legitimate longstanding fans of characters such as Croc (including myself). I may not have properly acknowledged it, but that's because I wasn't addressing it. It was irrelevant. Just because I like the character and support him, that doesn't mean I think he has some kind of heightened chance to be in the film. And that is the main thing I was referring to here.

And along the same vein, while I like him, it's obvious that he got a gigantic surge in popularity recently for the reasons you and I are now going over. His presence on these boards was a grain of sand compared to what it became a couple months ago. All it takes is a filming location and people who had nothing to say about the character before suddenly start clambering out of the woodwork doing all kinds of research and theorizing and declaring that he WILL be in the next film. Hogwash. It happens like clockwork each time a character becomes an obscure possibility, or another popular one gets eliminated.

This doesn't have to be based off of a rumor, it can also be based on the tiniest of suggestions by a fan. Look at Black Mask. Hell, these suggestions tend to create rumors somehow. :oldrazz:

I find myself unable to ignore the fact that hiveminds do exist, even if there are obviously people who are exceptions to this complaint (and are therefore clearly excused, which I didn't think needed to be said).

And I should also say that I'm grateful this sort of thing has made characters more popular that deserve it. But at the same time, it's a bit ridiculous seeing people claim with such divine certainty that the characters that became popular WILL be in the film

People aren't just supporting villains because they want to back the winning horse after The Riddler's elmination from the running.
That's not entirely what I was suggesting. The idea was to build up a 'new' winning horse since their previous hopeful broke down. Or sometimes even as a Plan B before it happens.

Some are, probably, but there are plenty who... gasp... actually like the characters they're talking up.

I never denied this, Keyser.

That's a real pet peeve of mine, when someone tries to invalidate another person's opinion by saying no, they don't actually believe what they're saying, they're just "jumping on the bandwagon" or "joining in the hive mentality".

Speaking of massive assumptions. :o Me pointing out the fact that bandwagons exist is not me invalidating everyone's opinion who happens to like that character. It's relative to the person, of course. Sigh.

Okay... not a villain, BUT... Tom Hanks should be Leslie Thompkins. He's definitely old enough to pull it off now.

tomhanksbosombuddies.jpg

(This is where you gasp due to how similar in likeness this picture is to the comic book character.)

Sir Anthony Hopkins as Hugo Strange

Sam Rockwell as Roman Sionis/Black Mask

Ben Foster as Deadshot

Mathew MacConaughey as Thomas Blake/catman

Billy Crudup as Hamilton Hill

Peter Stormare as Harvey Bullock

Tom hardy as bane

Last edited:
After watching 2002's Gangs of New York, I now realize why everyone on this forum has been suggesting Daniel Day Lewis as replacement for Heath Ledger's Joker. I mean that Mobster he played in that film was psychotic in a homicidal way as well as having a truly sadistic sense of humor, was very flamboyantly dressed and had the affinity for cutting through flesh with knife like Heath's Joker. Now it will be disrespectful to bring back Joker without Heath especially on Nolan's part so let the next director reintroduce Joker without Heath after Nolan has released The Dark Knight Rises in peace.

Also watching 2004's The Aviator made realize that Leonardo DiCaprio is great at playing a character with OCD. Now, I think all these suggestions of him playing The Riddler make sense. On the contrary, Nolan has ruled-out Riddler so possibly the next director can reinvent the character I guess.
I dont think you do.

Does anyone think that Daniel Day Lewis could pull off Hugo Strange?
Just curious.

I still think Tom Hardy could play either Hugo Strange, Bane or Deadshot.
If Tom Hardy isn't playing Hugo Strange... my next choice is Deadshot.
I also still think Viggo Mortensen would be a great Hugo Strange with Tom Hardy being Deadshot.

I've been saying it for a while, but I think they should introduce Floyd Lawton as the head of a police task-force targeting Batman. Lawton is a dirty cop with ties to the mob. When thrown off the force, Lawton becomes a hired gun working for the mob, and provides the muscle for Hugo Strange.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"