Christian Bale is Gorr the God Butcher!

A few of the many mentions to Christian Bale portrayal of Gorr from that first batch of reactions.

There’s many more.
Sounds like great reactions across the board, except the one about being cookie-cutter. Doesn’t quite fit in with the rest lol.

“There were some potential scheduling conflicts. I said to my family, "I don't think it's going to work out," and they went, "No, you make it work out. You're doing this, Dad." They gave me my marching orders, and I dutifully obeyed.”

Awesome :funny:

If only mine did that in those kind of situations! :argh::funny:

Sounds like great reactions across the board, except the one about being cookie-cutter. Doesn’t quite fit in with the rest lol.

It's very weird and out of place to be honest, they probably were just trying to be contrarian.

Last edited:

FWex4ihXkAELqrw

I can't wait for one of you guys to see the film so we can get a real idea of how good (and how badass) Gorr is. This isn't the kind of thing I would always align with critics on.

Totally understandable decision and I am totally on board with Gorr’s look. Also from the overwhelming majority of reactions so far Bale was freaking great as Gorr with his portrayal of the character being hailed as one of the very best things in the film so not much to complain about it either.

I’ve liked pretty much everything I’ve seen of the Gorr footage and I can’t wait to see it on the big screen. Soon. :yay:

there are people upset that Gorr is another one and done villain, without realizing that Bale perhaps didn't want to be locked into multiple films. Those are the same people upset that Gorr wasn't a CGI character, when Bale seems like the type who would never wear a CGI body suit

there are people upset that Gorr is another one and done villain, without realizing that Bale perhaps didn't want to be locked into multiple films. Those are the same people upset that Gorr wasn't a CGI character, when Bale seems like the type who would never wear a CGI body suit

I think its more that nearly all of Marvel's one and done villains have been lame and forgettable, and people are keen to see antagonists that are fully fleshed-out characters.

I think its more that nearly all of Marvel's one and done villains have been lame and forgettable, and people are keen to see antagonists that are fully fleshed-out characters.

They are no more forgettable than most other villains in other comic book films and are better than most imo.

I've never understood why this is an MCU criticism and not a CBM criticism as whole.

They are no more forgettable than most other villains in other comic book films and are better than most imo.

I've never understood why this is an MCU criticism and not a CBM criticism as whole.

Its certainly not only an MCU problem (the villains in both Wonder Woman movies were awful IMO), but other franchises seem to have had a better batting record when it comes to crafting truly memorable villains, whether you're talking Fox with Magneto, or WB with Joker and the other TDK trilogy villains.

Its certainly not only an MCU problem (the villains in both Wonder Woman movies were awful IMO), but other franchises seem to have had a better batting record when it comes to crafting truly memorable villains, whether you're talking Fox with Magneto, or WB with Joker and the other TDK trilogy villains.

Fox also had Deadpool from X-Men Origins: Wolverine, Doctor Doom from Fantastic Four, Galactus from Fantastic Four, the Doctor Doom from F4ntastic, the villain from X-Men Dark Phoenix (forgot her name), Apocalypse from X-Men Apocalypse. Universal had Absorbing Dad from HULK. Sony had Black Heart, Black Out, Mephisto, and Roarke from the Ghost Rider movies, Drake from Blade Trinity, Venom and New Goblin from Spider-Man 3, The Lizard from ASM, Electro and Goblin from TASM2..

Don't get me started on WB with it's weak ass DCEU villains.

Yeah it was a legitimate problem probably in early phase 3 but that argument no longer holds water for the MCU. Since mid-2017, they've featured these well received villains:
  • Vulture
  • Killmonger
  • Thanos
  • Mysterio
  • Leung's Mandarin
These next ones existed in Sony's universe but they are still in an MCU film:
  • Dafoe's Norman Osborn
  • Molina's Doc Ock
I mean those are some serious heavy hitters. And I'd argue that Killmonger, Thanos, and Mandarin are some of the best comicbook movie villains.

Last edited:
Yeah, plus credit to Marvel for trying different villains in most movies

How many friggin Jokers do we need, and Riddlers, and Cat... womens? womanses? How many movies can Magneto switch sides in? How many terrible Doctor Dooms?...

Fox couldn't even get to Mr. Sinister, let alone taking a c-list villain like Killmonger or a racist caricature like Mandarin and making them good...

I hope that scene of Gorr removing his tattoos are in the Disney + release with parental control for the kiddies and let us the paying adults a chance to see it lol

Gorr felt undercooked to me. Like Christian Bale hadn't fully worked out the character. I also don't think we see enough of his war against the gods to really sell his villainy and mayhem.

Yeah it was a legitimate problem probably in early phase 3 but that argument no longer holds water for the MCU. Since mid-2017, they've featured these well received villains:
  • Vulture
  • Killmonger
  • Thanos
  • Mysterio
  • Leung's Mandarin
These next ones existed in Sony's universe but they are still in an MCU film:
  • Dafoe's Norman Osborn
  • Molina's Doc Ock
I mean those are some serious heavy hitters. And I'd argue that Killmonger, Thanos, and Mandarin are some of the best comicbook movie villains.

I'd say it's still a fair point.

We all knew this was the reason as soon as we saw Gorr's design.

Lazy comparison IMO. It's like saying Thanos looks like The Grimace or the Skrulls except purple. I don't look at this character and think MARVEL'S VOLDEMORT!

latest

He was INCREDIBLE! I loved it.
So much great stuff to talk about.

Creepy, menacing, vicious, relatable, layered... I still don't understand what are people going on about about the size of his role in this, his role is pretty big and they give him a lot to do throughout the film. I get that people wanted to see more of him, simply because he was that good but his role isn't small at all. I was surprised and happy to see that some of the stuff i mentioned and was looking forward to see, was indeed in the film...

Loved the All Black the Necrosword, it's power, the way it was a character on itself, the way Gorr used that power and how he showed up, his moves... Awesome stuff all around. I thought some of the stuff with evil Scarlet Witch in DS:MOM was pretty cool but i feel like this is definitely a level above that, in terms of how creepy and unsettling it was at times. Very nightmarish actually. The All Black was unwieldy almost, like it was too powerful and corruptive, it was a parasite while Gorr was it's host.

He was INCREDIBLE! I loved it.
So much great stuff to talk about.

Creepy, menacing, vicious, relatable, layered... I still don't understand what are people going on about about the size of his role in this, his role is pretty big and they give him a lot to do throughout the film. I get that people wanted to see more of him, simply because he was that good but his role isn't small at all. I was surprised and happy to see that some of the stuff i mentioned and was looking forward to see, was indeed in the film...

Loved the All Black the Necrosword, it's power, the way it was a character on itself, the way Gorr used that power and how he showed up, his moves... Awesome stuff all around. I thought some of the stuff with evil Scarlet Witch in DS:MOM was pretty cool but i feel like this is definitely a level above that, in terms of how creepy and unsettling it was at times. Very nightmarish actually. The All Black was unwieldy almost, like it was too powerful and corruptive, it was a parasite while Gorr was it's host.

How does he stack up to Hela and Thanos in terms of power levels?

And are the fight scenes between Gorr and Thor better than Thor and Hela's fights? (which were kind of a let down tbh)

How does he stack up to Hela and Thanos in terms of power levels?

And are the fight scenes between Gorr and Thor better than Thor and Hela's fights? (which were kind of a let down tbh)
More powerful than Hela. Against Thanos without the stones he would obliterate him. With the stones it’s hard to say but the All Black is shown to be so powerful that it would be a cool fight.

Thor vs Gorr is definitely better. Like way better, they actually let them go at it several times, Gorr is very powerful but even when Thor puts the feet on the gas it’s like Gorr is sort of caught off guard at times by Thor’s power level.

But yeh several time Gorr does get the upper hand just because of how extremely powerful the All Black is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"