Cloned Gaming Systems???

Moviefan2k4

Sidekick
Reaction score
o_RetroduoBK1.jpg

Over the last few days, I've been researching pros and cons about the recent trend of cloned gaming consoles. Apparently, Nintendo's patent for the 8-bit NES expired a few years ago, so third-party manufacturers have been releasing these like crazy.

However, upon further reading, I disocovered many cloned systems had incompatibility issues with certain games. "CastleVania III - Dracula's Curse", "Dragon Warrior II", the original "Gauntlet"...these and more top many lists of non-working titles. Also, many of these systems are incompatible with various accessories, such as the NES Zapper or the SuperScope 6.

Recently, I stumbled across an article for a cloned system called the Retro Duo. Made by a company called Innex, it boasts playability for both NES and Super NES titles, on the same console. It's also relatively cheap (about $50, give or take). Plus, from all the reviews I've read, the aforementioned titles actually work with this, which has made me consider buying one. the only "cons" I've seen so far is a lack of old NES controller ports, and I haven't heard anything about an adapter for the Zapper yet.

So, for all you classic-gaming fanatics out there, what's your take on all this stuff? Does anyone around here own a cloned system? And if so, how does it measure up to similar products?

Regardless of system, I'd say that emulators of the oldest stuff is far better than any clones.

SuperFerret said:
Regardless of system, I'd say that emulators of the oldest stuff is far better than any clones.
I've tried a few different emulators, but some games have given me serious trouble. "CastleVania III" sucks on just about any one I've tried, and "Super Metroid" only works on the ZSNES for me.

I've tried a few different emulators, but some games have given me serious trouble. "CastleVania III" sucks on just about any one I've tried, and "Super Metroid" only works on the ZSNES for me.

Can't help you there. I use ZSNES and I'm not into Castlevania. Sorry.

I just laugh at cloned gaming systems. They just look so tacky IMO. The old games I want, I tend to get on Nintendo's Virtual Console.

hippie_hunter said:
I just laugh at cloned gaming systems. They just look so tacky IMO.
While I agree most of them do look ridiculous, I'm more concerned about their compatibility with the old NES Game Paks and accessories (or lack thereof).

The old games I want, I tend to get on Nintendo's Virtual Console.
I'd probably take that route too, if I had $250 to kill on the Wii system, plus about another $150 for a couple of games. By using a cloned system, I'd only be spending a fraction of the money, and I'd be able to play the old classics again without worrying about glitchy emulators.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kimcity
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"