The Retro Gaming Thread

Not Jake said:
It'd be cool if Battletoads came back:)

Just please not so brain-murderingly hard:(

Bionic Commando would be sweet as well.

Other retro franchises that need to be brought back: Kid Icarus (let's hope Shiggy wasn't blowing smoke:o) and of course, Punch-Out!!

If Punch-Out returns our fighter will probably quit if there are more then five rounds.

Does anyone have a spare manual to the original TMNT? I have the game and the box, so I'd really like the instruction booklet.

Okay, so this thread has gotten a tad stale. Gotta bring it back to life with a topic:mad:

What's your favorite retro cover art? I'm talking pre-NES/PS1 here. I have to think of mine...

tmnt2box.jpg

I think that's the PAL version, but it's close enough. I don't remember all that gray on the US version. Whatever.:o

I always thought Tengen's boxes were pretty snazzy.

gauntlet.jpg

tengentetris.jpg

I mean, they made a sexy box for Tetris... granted one of the greatest puzzle games of all time, but puzzle games rarely make for snazzy boxes.

I liked Nintendo's purple cover for Tetris better.:confused:

Anyway, I bought a Genesis the other day. Model 2. Picked up Sonic 2, Road Rash 2, Quarterback Club, Taz in Escape From Mars, Aladdin, Lion King, Vectorman, and The Adventures of Batman & Robin. My next purchase looks to be comics Zone. I loved that game back in the day. Anyway, my problem is that I was never big on Genesis and I'm wondering which games to pick up? I'd really prefer a game with battery save, because so many of those Genesis games were arcadey and every time you turn off the system you have to start all over. I might pick up a Phantasy Star...though they are expensive, and when it comes to throwing around money on retro gaming I prefer to do it for NES and SNES games.

Not Jake said:
I liked Nintendo's purple cover for Tetris better.:confused:

Anyway, I bought a Genesis the other day. Model 2. Picked up Sonic 2, Road Rash 2, Quarterback Club, Taz in Escape From Mars, Aladdin, Lion King, Vectorman, and The Adventures of Batman & Robin. My next purchase looks to be comics Zone. I loved that game back in the day. Anyway, my problem is that I was never big on Genesis and I'm wondering which games to pick up? I'd really prefer a game with battery save, because so many of those Genesis games were arcadey and every time you turn off the system you have to start all over. I might pick up a Phantasy Star...though they are expensive, and when it comes to throwing around money on retro gaming I prefer to do it for NES and SNES games.

Yeah that saving thing was a pretty big problem but.... These games are the ****.

Vectorman, seriously, I love this game.

Sonic 2, thats a nice pick, Sonic 3, and Sonic and Knuckles are REALLY good (you can connect them (3 and SK), thats genius).

Shinobi 2 and especially 3, that was some good stuff right there.

X-men 2, probably the best X-men game ever.

Golden Axe and Streets of Rage, both of which can be found on the previously mentioned Six Pack, which dominates.

Aladdin is a excellent game, and pwns Kindom Hearts. Good job on that :o

Altered Beast. Focking amazing.

Sonic Spinball, crazy but sweet.

More on the way.

Nice list, Unthinkable.

Eternal Champions is a solid fighting game. The Genesis version of the Beavis & Butt-Head video game is also far superior to the SNES version.

Most of the old Disney games were pretty good. Thinking about picking up that Donald game, forget what it's called. Quack-something. Also one of the Mickey games was fun. The Looney Tunes games were generally pretty good too. I love Taz, and I remember a Tiny Toons game for SNES being great.

Not Jake said:
Most of the old Disney games were pretty good. Thinking about picking up that Donald game, forget what it's called. Quack-something. Also one of the Mickey games was fun. The Looney Tunes games were generally pretty good too. I love Taz, and I remember a Tiny Toons game for SNES being great.

Yeah, a lot of movie adaptions were pretty good also, such as Jurassic Park, which was pretty fun.

You should get Bubsy also...That was pretty fun.

That Donald game you were thinking of might be Ducktales, that was great.

Zombies ate my neighbors was pretty cool, you should pick that up..

Streets of Rage was the ****. Probably my fave after Sonic and Knuckles.

Ecco the Dolphin was really good. Seriously.

Samurai Showdown was cool.

X-men .

Micheal Jackson Moonwalker. All jokes aside, I really liked this.

Ecco is a classic, but the store I was at only had Ecco: The Tides of Time, rather than the original.

The Donald game isn't Ducktales.

damn I'm old. When I think of "retro" games, "Pong" and "Galaga" come to mind. You guys are talking about crap that was out when I was in high school/college.

Unthinkable said:
You should get Bubsy also...That was pretty fun.

I didn't know they made Bubsy for the Genesis... it was a blast on the SNES, that's for sure!

The Incredible Hulk said:
damn I'm old. When I think of "retro" games, "Pong" and "Galaga" come to mind. You guys are talking about crap that was out when I was in high school/college.

I often wonder if our kids will laugh and roll their eyes when we talk about Metallica or Nirvana.

Was the Donald game World of Illusion: Starring Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck? It also could have been Donald Duck starring Maui Mallard....

I just found out, it's Quackshot starring Donald Duck

The Incredible Hulk said:
yeah and some day people will be talking about the good old days when they were playing GTA3, Halo, and Smash Bros Melee, and the term retro will include those games. I'll probably kill myself when that happens:up:

Anyway, I just got Mega Man 3 in the mail...it works fine but it's one of those games you have to shove something in the NES to pin it down for it to work. Kind of pissed.:mad::(

Also I got beaten by Spark Man on my first and second tries and that did not alleviate the pissanity.:(

I just got Mega Man 2 on ebay for $8 shipped. Average price. Better than what I got Mega Man 3 for I guess.

Now to complete the fab fifteen, all I need is TMNT 2 and the original Mega Man.:up:

I don't know if they ever made a Genesis version of Smash TV, but that was lots of fun.

Random fact: When video games first became big, Hugh Hefner was a huge fan... and actually had to be treated for wrist injuries caused by playing too much Pac Man. :D

(from Hef's Little Black Book by Hugh Hefner and Bill Zehme)

Well that must be true because the wrist injuries sure didn't come from being lonely...:o

Bump.

So who here was a Street Fighter II player and who here was a Mortal Kombat player when they first came out?

Me? SF2... never could get used to the block button on MK.

i played both when they came out.

guile and sub-zero. :up:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"