The Rise of Skywalker Colin Trevorrow No Longer Directing Star Wars Episode IX

I would have honestly been fine with a recast.

I don't know if Fisher's death was the only reason they didn't use Trevorrow's script, though.

I would have preferred a cgi/body double approach, but if a recast Leia had been the price to get Duel of the Fates then so be it. JJ's method for dealing with Fisher's death was straight ass and lazy as hell.

Its even worse when we look back and remember how JJ acted like there was so much unused footage of carrie from TFA to repurpose. And something that's bothered me from the day they announced their method is that JJ ignored the unused footage from TLJ. Carrie had a much bigger role in TLJ, and I've little doubt there was a **** load of unused footage from TLJ. Countless alternate takes. Hours of unused dialogue and alternate takes. Unused ADR files. And JJ left all of that unused. It's pretty clear after ROS that JJ was bitter as hell about TLJ and was just being petulant.

I dont really want to blame anybody when it comes to Leia.
Carrie Fishers death caused a lot of problems for the storytelling.

Many people werent too happy with CGI leia in Rogue one so i can see people not liking if they would have done something for ROS.
How much footage was there to use i dont know, hard to say...i know they spoke as if there was tons.
I was so surprised how small Leias role was in ROS because of that.

Again, like with TLJ i have to always say beforehand that i do enjoy ROS for what it is...but i would have taken a cgi Leia, Recast etc if it meant having Duel of the Fates, because it is just a rounder story to me in the end.

But then it brings me to what im upset about since TFA...that they killed off one by one the OTs main characters.

Unpopular opinion but i would have killed off Chewie instead of Han in TFA because that would have given us more potential.
Chewie was pretty much useless in the ST so i would have told in TFA how he and Ben were so good friends and all before Ben kills him.
You still would have had Han around for some more beefy character moments instead of having the big wookie sit around and barely doing anything.

Even in Duel of Fates, Leia didn’t get the same level of attention that Han got in TFA or Luke got in TLJ.

They completely wasted Leia as a General. I wanted her story to end with her in command in a battle. Making the ultimate sacrifice. Like Holdo or Sato.

Maybe have Chewie with her.

Ya know, its baffling that they even made her a General. TFA needed to introduce the New Republic before destroying it. JJ had Leia as the obvious mechanism to do that since she is a politician, founder of the NR, and a princess. But JJ makes her a general and cuts all of her New Republic scenes. :loco:

She should have been a politician or the Chancellor in TFA and then shifted to the position of General after the New Republic was destroyed. Have her Resistance be the surviving elements of the New Republic military.

Last edited:
Oh absolutly, i mean of course i wouldnt have wanted to see any of them dying...but leia going down in a big battle, sacrificing herself would have been so incredible.
Would have switched her out for Holdo because while i liked the character, she wasnt really developed all that well in TLJ to make her sacrifice mean much...but then the whole subplot there was a bit weak to me.

I heard in the comics or so, Leia was running for a position in the senate or so before someone leaked that she was the daughter of vader...which ruined her political plans.(but i could be wrong, saw a youtube video about this)
We could have spent at least a few minutes with the whole new republic stuff...i know the political thing bothered people in the PT, but it helps the world building.

Oh absolutly, i mean of course i wouldnt have wanted to see any of them dying...but leia going down in a big battle, sacrificing herself would have been so incredible.
Would have switched her out for Holdo because while i liked the character, she wasnt really developed all that well in TLJ to make her sacrifice mean much...but then the whole subplot there was a bit weak to me.

I heard in the comics or so, Leia was running for a position in the senate or so before someone leaked that she was the daughter of vader...which ruined her political plans.(but i could be wrong, saw a youtube video about this)
We could have spent at least a few minutes with the whole new republic stuff...i know the political thing bothered people in the PT, but it helps the world building.

She was running for the office of First Senator. A very powerful position that was created by factions in the New Republic that essentially wanted a return to strong centralized leadership and an Imperial system. It was 7 years before TFA. By that time Leia had been a New Republic senator and diplomat for 23 years. During the campaign its leaked that she is Vader's daughter. These events happen in the Bloodline book. It's worth reading. The book deals with how some of the elements of the First Order grew in the New Republic senate and Leia discovering those elements and trying to stop them.

She was running for the office of First Senator. A very powerful position that was created by factions in the New Republic that essentially wanted a return to strong centralized leadership and an Imperial system. It was 7 years before TFA. By that time Leia had been a New Republic senator and diplomat for 23 years. During the campaign its leaked that she is Vader's daughter. These events happen in the Bloodline book. It's worth reading. The book deals with how some of the elements of the First Order grew in the New Republic senate and Leia discovering those elements and trying to stop them.

Ah thank you, the video i saw didnt really go into detail on it.
Sounds really cool, i might check it out when i have time.

I would have preferred a cgi/body double approach, but if a recast Leia had been the price to get Duel of the Fates then so be it. JJ's method for dealing with Fisher's death was straight ass and lazy as hell.

Its even worse when we look back and remember how JJ acted like there was so much unused footage of carrie from TFA to repurpose. And something that's bothered me from the day they announced their method is that JJ ignored the unused footage from TLJ. Carrie had a much bigger role in TLJ, and I've little doubt there was a **** load of unused footage from TLJ. Countless alternate takes. Hours of unused dialogue and alternate takes. Unused ADR files. And JJ left all of that unused. It's pretty clear after ROS that JJ was bitter as hell about TLJ and was just being petulant.

I don't know how much actual unused footage of Leia there was from Last Jedi, but JJ Abrams definitely overplayed things with Leia as he often does. As I've said before, Abrams talks a very good game. He's like a politician in that regard. He knows how to sound persuasive and sound in public that's very wishy washy and like cool, evenhanded and moderate.

The Leia stuff in Rise of Skywalker is bad and there's no getting around it. There really wasn't much extra footage from Force Awakens of her.

What was done with Oliver Reed after his death in Gladiator was less obtrusive.

Well, at least they didn't go with the route taken by the makers of the 1986 miniseries "Peter the Great" when star Maximilian Schell fell ill and couldn't complete filming. They put a mask on an actor whose build resembled Schell, had him stand in the shadows, and later dubbed Schell's voice over his own.

More Star Wars Duel Of Fates concept art.

EPvWu9hWsAMwBsB

EPvWvprWsAASPAQ

EPvWwWFX0AAkuZa

EPvZQ-GWkAARLET

EPvZRksWoAMg1fW

EPvZSGeWAAcg39M

EPvZSrYXsAE51lh

I'm not sure if Duel of Fates would have been a good film (I think the whole of Kylo Ren's story in it needed a complete rewrite) but it does feel like that they were really trying to go out with a bang.

Also nice to see in the art one of the Eclipse.

v4k8xVn.jpg

Some of those scenes could be used if they continue the story with Rey, Finn and Poe.

The Leia scene is nice but sadly wasn't going to happen even if they kept with DotF.

Cant wait to read it, stuff like that is so interesting to me...i love behind the scenes look and how movies evolve and became what they are.

A lot of interesting things i wanna read, like how Hux was handled...which in ROS was a shame to me because i thought he was a interesting character that they could build up to a cool "hateable" character that we want to see be destroyed.

I need to look for the other scripts too, never had the time to look for the ones from the whole saga and the different drafts etc.

Yeah I was very excited to see she had put out a video about it. Patrick Willems talks about it in his latest video too. His thoughts are very much mine on this whole situation. It was both depressing and comforting.

It needed a little more work, but I was shocked how much I enjoyed reading DOTF. I tend to get lost in could-have-beens and this film is gonna haunt me for some time. It's rare to get such a good look at such a different take. The wasted potential of TROS stings extra hard because JJ didn't just miss opportunities, he dropped much better ideas in many cases.

I liked both, but I strongly prefer DOTF to TROS. It’s not perfect, but it feels like a more organic continuation from TLJ than the backtracking fan service JJ ultimately did. No novelty resurrections, no convoluted video game treasure hunts, Rose is treated like an actual character, Hux is more interesting, the fanfare moments are better earned, and more I like where the lore and the universe end up in end.

Thats the thing, the main thing and what i heard many people say often about the script is that it feels more organic, that it fits better, that it feels like a more natural sequel.

And that is the big problem with ROS.
No matter what they say, ROS doesnt have this organic feeling to it.
Sure it still wraps things up and you can still enjoy it, but on way too many corners does it feel so disconnected from what TFA, TLJ built.
I like ROS...but i will never deny that it feels like they just took out a few pieces of the puzzle and didnt bother to put it back because you can see the picture either way.
That it doesnt look as nice with pieces being missing, they didnt seem to care for as long as the result is a somewhat finished picture.

Cant wait to read it, stuff like that is so interesting to me...i love behind the scenes look and how movies evolve and became what they are.

A lot of interesting things i wanna read, like how Hux was handled...which in ROS was a shame to me because i thought he was a interesting character that they could build up to a cool "hateable" character that we want to see be destroyed.

I need to look for the other scripts too, never had the time to look for the ones from the whole saga and the different drafts etc.

One thing I've always wanted to read is the Zak Penn draft of Avengers which Joss Whedon pretty much tossed in the trash.

One thing I've always wanted to read is the Zak Penn draft of Avengers which Joss Whedon pretty much tossed in the trash.

Do we even know anything about that script? I heard it was supposed to have wasp in and a smaller role for Thor.
Im in general always interested in first drafts and stuff, seeing how it evolved into what we get in the end.

I've seen Penn credited as a writer for 'Avengers' a few times and it's quite irritating.

Thats the thing, the main thing and what i heard many people say often about the script is that it feels more organic, that it fits better, that it feels like a more natural sequel.

And that is the big problem with ROS.
No matter what they say, ROS doesnt have this organic feeling to it.
Sure it still wraps things up and you can still enjoy it, but on way too many corners does it feel so disconnected from what TFA, TLJ built.
I like ROS...but i will never deny that it feels like they just took out a few pieces of the puzzle and didnt bother to put it back because you can see the picture either way.
That it doesnt look as nice with pieces being missing, they didnt seem to care for as long as the result is a somewhat finished picture.

It's such a cowardly movie. I think JJ's approach really caved in on itself when he started mining his own film for nostalgia. It gave me member-berry poisoning.

Do we even know anything about that script? I heard it was supposed to have wasp in and a smaller role for Thor.
Im in general always interested in first drafts and stuff, seeing how it evolved into what we get in the end.

Whedon looked at it and apparently told Kevin Feige that they had "nothing," and he basically did a page one rewrite. I think keeping some of the things that Penn had previously had in the script (Thor fighting Hulk early on, team coming together at the end)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"