Homecoming Comparison with the comics portrayal?

Herofan

Sidekick
Reaction score
I haven't seen the film but from the reviews I'm surprised there is a lot of enjoying and praising that Spider-Man is amateurish, screws up often, even is bumbling. When/how often in the early comics was Spider-Man portrayed as screwing up or coming off as amateurish? He was owned and belittled by Dr. Octopus and maybe Sandman but that seems more like them being of a higher league than Spider-Man being amateurish. And I think he rarely made mistakes/big mistakes while in the costume (let alone have those mistakes come off as comical).

Or is this more consistent with his personality and portrayal in some later issues? And/or do you think it is a change for the better at least with regard to a modern film?

Edit: Also, in the early comics was he portrayed as hyper? I don't believe he was but this also gets a lot of praise.

Last edited:
It's more about Peter being rash and in over his head that rings true to the earlier issues

It's more about Peter being rash and in over his head that rings true to the earlier issues

This

MCU Peter is not a literal 1:1 translation from the comics but the general spirit of the character rings true.
Also when Ditko was working on the book, Peter was kind of ******* sometimes and that's not something I ever cared for despite me liking a lot of those early issues.

From watching the movie I could maybe see Peter believably being so inept as Spider-Man if he had been him for just two to four months, not two months after having done enough well enough to impress Tony and have him recruit him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohkeelay
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"