Crisis on Infinite Earths (Animated Trilogy?)

How is it even, do we have some data how well the Animated universe does in sales etc?
Because that could give us a some idea if they would invest good money for something like this.

How is it even, do we have some data how well the Animated universe does in sales etc?
Because that could give us a some idea if they would invest good money for something like this.

Well enough for them to keep doing them but not well enough to give them high animation budgets.

This should be the type of film that is high budget and meant for theatrical release....but WB makes very strange choices. Id like to see something that somewhat resembles Perez's work and not the off brand YJ designs they used in New52.

Last we heard the production budget was about $3.5 million for each DTV. Who knows what they spend now. Basically, I think they were spending more on a handful of B:TAS episodes back in 1991.

Interestingly, some cast members from Justice League/JLU have all said they know nothing about a Crisis on Infinite Earths animated trilogy and it really didn't look like they were bluffing. Perhaps the crew aren't at the recording stage yet, but when these projects leak, there are usually pretty far along.

Doesn’t say trilogy, but given how massive the series was, I have to imagine it’ll be multi-part.

I'm mixed on this. While I have enjoyed the Tomorrowverse for the most part, I'm not confident we are seeing the best WB/DC have to offer with their DTV's these days. Their TV offerings seem more creatively engaging at the minute.

Plus, where do they go from here? According to the Q&A from the Warworld panel we have many more Tomorrowverse movies left and even more featuring the Bat-Family. The whole point of this story was to simplify/unify the DC Universe into one continuity. But we already have that with the current continuity, so what's the point?

If it's just a multi-verse hopping adventure, that's fine but hopefully it's more than just the New 52 animated world meeting up with the Tomorrowverse. That would be a little boring.

I'm mixed on this. While I have enjoyed the Tomorrowverse for the most part, I'm not confident we are seeing the best WB/DC have to offer with their DTV's these days. Their TV offerings seem more creatively engaging at the minute.

Plus, where do they go from here? According to the Q&A from the Warworld panel we have many more Tomorrowverse movies left and even more featuring the Bat-Family. The whole point of this story was to simplify/unify the DC Universe into one continuity. But we already have that with the current continuity, so what's the point?

If it's just a multi-verse hopping adventure, that's fine but hopefully it's more than just the New 52 animated world meeting up with the Tomorrowverse. That would be a little boring.

They really said we have MORE tomorrowverse movies left? really? Then why have they set up for COIE after barely any movies in it? And who needs more Bat-family? Give us Wonder Woman. Give us Birds of Prey. Give us Vixen. etc..

I have a hard time imagining this being just a New 52/Tomorrowverse mash-up. That’s not enough of a draw to the casual fan. I think there’s gotta be some DCAU in the mix, among other past animated incarnations.

What I fear is they totally water it down like they did with the doomsday/death of superman storyline.
I understand that's alot to put in, but if it's gonna be half-azzed made, then I'd rather not see it even made.

They really said we have MORE tomorrowverse movies left? really? Then why have they set up for COIE after barely any movies in it? And who needs more Bat-family? Give us Wonder Woman. Give us Birds of Prey. Give us Vixen. etc..

Based on this interview, the Tomorrowverse will be allowed to continue as an Elseworlds series.

On whether the animated movies from Warner Bros. Home Entertainment will continue…

Gunn: We’re dealing with all that. Some of that stuff will continue as Elseworlds, but a lot of other stuff we’re starting to bring into animation with (Warner Bros. Animation President) Sam Register so that we’ll have things that are connected with this. I think there have been a lot of really marvelous DC cartoons, so we’re going to keep moving forward with that.

The following quote are from the panel on Friday night where they tease more Tomorrowverse movies:

All of which makes the choice to do a CRISIS movie a little strange, but who knows what they are planning with it.

I'm excited for this, but I'm enjoying the Tomorrowverse and this seems pretty soon (including Warworld we're only seven releases in). I just hope they haven't been told by Gunn to wrap the T-verse up quickly, similar to when the DCAMU had to bring Apokolips War forwards.

And yes, Crisis definitely needs to be a multi-parter.

Someone posted this on Reddit just a few hours ago (I would give the link - not that there's anything else to see - but I don't think SHH likes links to Reddit)

SDCC '23: The filmmakers of JUSTICE LEAGUE: WARWORLD map the future of the Tomorrowverse

In contrast the previous DC animated shared universe overseen by James Tucker, Krieg and Lukic divulged that the Tomorrowverse has a limited number of films in which to tell a much larger narrative. At the time of the press junket, the filmmakers were coy and played details close to the vest. Since then, a Justice League: Crisis on Infinite Earths animated movie has been announced, so it’s safe to assume this has been the plan for the Tomorrowverse.

Unsurprisingly, everyone is curious about the future of not only the Tomorrowverse but other DC animation projects in regards to the recently revealed plans of DC Studios president James Gunn. According to Krieg and Lukic, the Tomorrowverse is not currently intended to reflect or be incorporated into the new DC shared universe overseen by Gunn which includes a Creature Commandos animated series. Gunnn has proclaimed his love of DC animation in the past, such as the Harley Quinn animated series, so naturally Krieg hopes that Gunn is aware of these DC animated original movies and is enjoying what they’ve done thus far. Whatever the future entails, you know they’ll be pulling out all the stops and try to go out with a bang with a Crisis animated adaptation.

(My bolding/underlining) Sounds like the writing is indeed on the wall for the Tomorrowverse.

So who from the DCAU will end up in this? Because that's what I mainly care about.

I hope we get a good showing from DCAU Superman, and that they can get George Newbern back to voice him.

Some interesting comments from Lukic at various interviews at Comic-Con regarding the Tomorrowverse:

- Unlike the James Tucker movies, WB gave Lukic/Krieg a finite number of movies in which to tell their pre-set story. So there should be no abrupt ending.
- Lukic is already working on the end of the Tommorowverse. The script for the final movie is written and they have almost animated ''the rest of them''.
- There are two more DTV's ''already in the can'' and there is another one he is working on''. Beyond that he doesn't know.
- Lukic and his team mapped out this storyline before James Gunn/Peter Safran arrived and they will be allowed to finish it. Again, beyond that, he knows nothing.

When pressed on just how many Tomorrowverse DTV's were left, he said, ''Maybe Three. We'll see''. All a bit vague considering his previous comments... perhaps WB will try to condense the number of films?

----

Some other interesting tidbits:

- Lukic pitched WB on Kingdom Come after the end of the Tomorrowverse: ''We originally talked about Kingdom Come after this, but changing regimes, we couldn't go forward with anything like that. They might incorporate it in the future with the New World [Gunn's continuity], but that was one that we talked about as an obvious possibility to continue. Not this continuity, but something more Justice League and larger''.

- Krieg also confirmed that WB has once again put a stop to the DC Showcase shorts.

Last edited:
I would love a Kingdom Come movie but only in its own continuity .

tbh the movie that would most excite me would be a sequel to TDKR… yes TDKSA. I’d love to see it animated. TDKR is still the best animated DC movie

I would love a Kingdom Come movie but only in its own continuity .

tbh the movie that would most excite me would be a sequel to TDKR… yes TDKSA. I’d love to see it animated. TDKR is still the best animated DC movie

So I'm not alone... :funny:
I also sincerely think there's high potential for an animated adaptation in this story. But that will never happen, that comic is so inpopular...

I'm surprised that Batman Year 100 was never considered for animation. At least to my knowledge.

I liked Man of Tomorrow, and generally liked what they did with Justice Society and The Long Halloween, but I really wish we’d go back to one-and-dones. The Doom that Came to Gotham was fun too.

- Kingdom Come
- Knightfall Pt. 1 and Pt. 2
- Batman: White Knight
- Trinity
- Batgirl: Year One

Just to name a few. I tried not to include storylines that could be used/adapted for upcoming feature films.

If the animated Crisis on Infinite Earths does include the DCAU, I wonder how they'll handle Batman after the passing of Kevin Conroy. I guess it's possible that he pre-recorded lines for it (as he did for the upcoming game Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League). But if he didn't the options I see are,

1. Don't include Batman in any scenes involving the DCAU
2. Have Batman there, but with no dialogue
3. Have another voice actor mimic Conroy
4. Have an AI recreation of Conroy
5. Use archive recordings of Conroy from old episodes or movies
6. Have DCAU Batman represented by Terry McGinnis (Will Friedle) instead

For me,

#1 Wouldn't seem right. Batman started the DCAU and made more appearances than any other character. It would be wrong for him to just not be there
#2 Could work (if handled right it could be very poignant)
#3 Certainly possible, but just knowing it wasn't him would be such a downer
#4 Same thing applies as #3 (and that's leaving aside any ethical implications)
#5 I can't see a problem
#6 Ditto

My choice would be #5, archive recordings (after consultation with Kevin's family). We know he was enjoying himself when he made them, and I don't think there's any doubt he would have wanted to be part of Crisis if he could.

Last edited:
Two rumored release dates. One listing January 9th (Could be the digital release):

And another listing from Amazon France for January 24th. (Could line up with the physical release)

Director: Jeff Wamester
Run Time: 1 hour and 33 mins

Either way, looks like it will be the first out of the gate next year and we'll hopefully see some press in the coming weeks.

I like it. And I like that they're willing to put Flash front and centre despite the underperformance of his live-action film (which is actually selling very well on Blu-ray and DVD here in the UK).

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"