Critics' Reviews: Discussion

Which Hugh Jackman movie is the worst Van Helsing, Australia, The Fountain, or X Men Origins??

This will be remembered as one of the worst superhero movies ever and that is saddening when it could have been one of the best.

This will be remembered as one of the worst superhero movies ever and that is saddening when it could have been one of the best.

You're exaggerating a bit there. It's only been released a day.

It's only the critics and fanboys that hate it. Most normal people like it, which is usually the case with most films. X3 for example.

Last edited:
Yes way...it is down in the 30's on RT with an average rating of 5/10...that is horrible. This isn't even but a couple of percentage points away from Rise of the Silver Surfer and that movie was attrocious. This will be lumped with those mediocre superhero movies like Fantastic Four, Superman III, Ghost Rider, Batman Forever, etc...

It's only the critics and fanboys that hate it. Most normal people like it, which is usually the case with most films. X3 for example.
Most normal people that you mentioned flock to Norbit, _____ Movies, Larry the Cable Guy, Paul Blart, etc...

You mentioned one film that critics and fanboys didn't like:dry: Maybe they don't like those movies because they are badly written, badly acted, cheesy, filled with plot holes, and major letdowns. For some odd reason fans and critics are hating this film...I wonder why:huh:

No, Chase is actually right here. X3 fared much better in terms of reviews with the critcs. If my memory serves correctly, it was in the high 50's/low 60's. Still "rotten" but definitely had more high marks than this film. I never, EVER expected Wolverine to get a fresh rating but I thought it'd be in the high 50's/low 60's like X3. This faltering is significant.

The other films with ratings in the 30s and below are movies like FF, Elektra, Catwoman, et al.

Translation: It's...bad.

Most normal people that you mentioned flock to Norbit, _____ Movies, Larry the Cable Guy, Paul Blart, etc...

You mentioned one film that critics and fanboys didn't like:dry: Maybe they don't like those movies because they are badly written, badly acted, cheesy, filled with plot holes, and major letdowns. For some odd reason fans and critics are hating this film...I wonder why:huh:

That's a big factor too.

Yeah the supporters can say the haters only hated it because it wasn't comic accurate but when that many professional critics are bashing it too and we know most of them are not comic reading fanboys...yeah that says something.

Yeah Critics have torn this apart, it probably wont even make it to 40%. Most of the critics even said they liked it better then X3, yet it's 20% below it.

I think most of the critics had very high expectations.

I have to agree. Given the very poor critical response, if this film doesn't fair well at the BO...I think the 4th film curse has struck again, and this Wolverine centered X-Men filmverse may be retired for a while. Perhaps we still get spin-offs like Gambit to keep the rights at FOX, but they won't invest as much money next time.

I have a feeling if this film doesn't kill the franchise (which it probably won't) then the next film definitely will.

It shall be X-Men Origins: Barakapool!!! :csad:

All depends on the BO numbers. As long as Fox thinks it's financially viable to carry this on, then they'll ignore all the negative backlash.

Finally got arounf to reading Ebert's review of the film

Don't think I've ever enjoyed reading a review more in my life

Finally got arounf to reading Ebert's review of the film

Don't think I've ever enjoyed reading a review more in my life
I greatly enjoyed Alexandra DuPont's review on AICN, with this lovely tidbit, which wins the interwebz:

The filmmakers also, for some inexplicable reason, feel the need to abuse green-screen projection for way too many of the driving scenes. I watched Fozzie Bear drive a real live car down a real live road 30 years ago in "The Muppet Movie." Is there a particular reason that Hugh Jackman is denied the privileges afforded a Muppet?

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/40948

It may be bad on RT and to the fanboys, but outside of that people are actually enjoying it. It may get lumped with the worst comic book movies RT rating-wise, but not to the general public.

If you wanted a feel about what non-critics/fanboys think go here:

http://twitter.com/#search?q=Wolverine
I don't care what the general audience thinks of this film because I have already outlined to you that they eat up bad movies. Critics get paid to do what they do and know way more than we know and us fanboys are angry because it was a mediocre movie with a faulty script and to add to that our favorite superheroes were used in said mediocre film.

It may be bad on RT and to the fanboys, but outside of that people are actually enjoying it. It may get lumped with the worst comic book movies RT rating-wise, but not to the general public.

I find it a bit disheartening that your breakdown of moviegoers goes as follows: Critics, Fanboys, general public. And that you believe the general public is liking it. I think it would be safe to say that the majority of people that are going to see it, besides critics and fanboys, are the types of people who know what kind of movie this is and know what kind of movies they like. That group of people does not represent the general public by any means. I wanted this film to succeed, truely I did. But let's not categorize the many numb-nuts as the general public, no matter how true it may be ;)

I have no respect for people who Twitter anyways:o:D

This film is officially between Fantastic Four Rise of the Silver Surfer and Daredevil. Question: does it belong there?

I don't care what the general audience thinks of this film because I have already outlined to you that they eat up bad movies.

What you think about them is irrelevant and doesn't change that fact that not everyone thinks it's a bad film.

:huh: Am I missing something? I've scrolled through 30 minutes of tweets (I feel so stupid saying that) and the vast majority of them say that people are going to go see the movie, not that they liked or disliked it.

Also, from what I can see, there are just as many updates that say something like this:

4.5 star for Wolverine:X-Men Origin...awesome movie..doesn't disappoint me a lot..go n watch it..leaked one is suck!!

as there are that say something like this:

I want a machine gun that shoots bazookas armed with flaming busses filled with drunken midgets armed with rusty kitchen ware, wolverine=bad

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"