Days of Future Past The Ranking the X-Men movies thread

I thought X3 had far more visual flair than X1 did. The Alcatraz sequence is very nice from a visual standpoint, for example. Granted, the movie has some VERY head scratching WTF moments. X1 was fairly bland from the camera work all the way down to the music. It just doesn't offer a whole lot. Like I said, I LIKED X1, but even when it first came out, I felt it was a fairly generic action movie.

I guess we just disagree. :)

I think the special effects were better in X3. But with all that money, nothing is as memorable as the two standout action set-pieces of X2. And visually, it looked like TV to me. The atmosphere of the Canadian scenes or Poland scenes in X1 are still some of the most cinematic and engrossing in the series. In many ways, I feel like the newest movie returns to that more raw aesthetic.

I guess we just disagree. :)

I think the special effects were better in X3. But with all that money, nothing is as memorable as the two standout action set-pieces of X2. And visually, it looked like TV to me. The atmosphere of the Canadian scenes or Poland scenes in X1 are still some of the most cinematic and engrossing in the series. In many ways, I feel like the newest movie returns to that more raw aesthetic.

I'm not comparing it to X2 because X2 was better, LOL! I'll agree, X2 was a better movie and stuff like Nightcrawler in the White House is better than what we got in X3. No argument here. As for the Canadian and Poland scenes, I don't disagree either, but they also make up a vast minority of the movie. Once the film comes to NYC, it loses some life and atmosphere.

1. DoFP absolutely. Without a doubt.
2. First Class
3. X2
4. Wolverine
5. X1
6. X3
7. Origins: Wolverine

As am I. See the rest of my post. Magneto in X2 treats Mystique as a lover, and he would at least consider her being forced to take a "cure" as a vile crime against her. At the very least, he would see it as empirical evidence for his "media" campaign against the cure.

Again, in DOFP, a Magneto without decades of history with Mystique, shows more remorse about having to kill her than one who spent many years with her.

Eric shows remorse with regards to taking out Mystique in DoFP? Really?

1. X2: X-Men United
  2. X-Men Days of Future Past
  3. X-Men First class
  4. X-Men
  5. The Wolverine
  6. X-Men 3: The Last Stand
  7. X-Men Origins: Wolverine

1 - X2
2 - X-Men: Days of Future Past (Of course this will change with the many times I will dissect this over the weekend)
3 - X-Men
4 - X-Men: First Class
5 - The Wolverine
6 - X-Men: The Last Stand

X2 has a better character balance, but DoFP is a better film.

As for ranking them, that's just too tough, I'd really need to analyse each one.

Eric shows remorse with regards to taking out Mystique in DoFP? Really?

In his own way. He clearly felt regret over it. He seemed more sympathetic about being a bastard than he did in The Last Stand. Maybe the script is just better.

In his own way. He clearly felt regret over it. He seemed more sympathetic about being a bastard than he did in The Last Stand. Maybe the script is just better.

The script, acting and directing are better in DoFP, so it comes off better as a whole.

1. Days of Future Past
2. X-men United
3. First Class
4. X-Men
5. The Wolverine
Origins
X3

1. Days of Future Past
2. X2
3. X-Men
4. First Class
5. The Wolverine
6. X3
7. Origins

1) X-Men: Days of Future Past
2) X2: X-Men United
3) The Wolverine
4) X-Men
5) X-Men: First Class
6) X3
7) X-Men Origins: Wolverine

1)XM:DoFP
2)X2
3)XM:FC
^Honestly there's only a hair's breadth of difference between these 3 quality-wise.

4)X-Men

Well that's it for the acceptable films now for the bad

5)The Wolverine
6)X3
7)XMO:W

I'm surprised by the bleh response to The Wolverine. I absolutely LOVE what Mangold and co. did. That opening sequence is especially excellent. It doesn't really fall apart until the final act when it devolves into the derivative "Hero confronts the bad guy(s) in their lair/superhero silliness"... stuff.

I'm surprised by the bleh response to The Wolverine. I absolutely LOVE what Mangold and co. did. That opening sequence is especially excellent. It doesn't really fall apart until the final act when it devolves into the derivative "Hero confronts the bad guy(s) in their lair/superhero silliness"... stuff.
I liked The Wolverine too, but I thought four of the other movies were better. The only ones I didn't like were Origins and X3.

Here's my rankings:

1. X-men: Days of Future Past
2. X2: X-men United
3. X-men: First Class
4. The Wolverine
5. X-men
6. X-men: The Last Stand
7. X-men Origins: Wolverine

I was going with the movie until the 3rd act but I'm sorry any movie that have a climax so shockingly terrible (I completely checked out of the movie) is going to lose a lot of points for me personally. I had the same problem with MoS (to a much lessor extent).

1. X-Men: Days of Future Past
2. X-Men: First Class
3. X2
4. X-Men (tie)
4. The Wolverine (tie)
5. X-Men: The Last Stand
6. X-Men Origins: Wolverine

The first five are good to great movies. TLS I think isn't as bad as a lot of people say, though it has plenty of problems. XMOW is just a mess.

First Class/X2 are tied for me. I can watch both at any given time.
DOFP
X1
The Wolverine(A good movie, but I honestly have no real desire to watch it ever again)
X3
XMO:W

After a 2nd viewing, things have changed.

DOFP 9/10
TW 8.5/10
X FC 8/10
X2 8/10
X1 7.5/10
X3 5.5/10
XO W 5/10

Xmen - 8/10

DOFP - 7/10

X2 - 7/10

First Class - 6.5/10

Last Stand - 6/10