Crysis 2 Thread

Having played both, I wouldn't agree with that. It's fairly cliche' something we have seen in many games. Call Of Duty: Black Op's has something blow up every 2 seconds. It's very similar to something in Crysis, except in Crysis, a friggin mountain miles away starts to collapse in on itself. It's not a skybox trick either, it's actually in map. You can zoom in and see helicopters flying around it.

[YT]0Sfu1XGVIoU[/YT]
I'd compare it more with MW2, as it had a bigger wow factor in me than BO. That was a nice thing to look at and made me wonder about the aliens power, but having a building collapsing near you as you escape the area gives me a sense of a bigger danger. Not only because the soldiers can die from that, but because everything is falling so easily, not matter how big or collosal it is.

I still have to check for myself, but from what I could see in a video review, we can also spot buildings collapsing far away in the background.

Also, The player goes inside a space-ship, inside the mountain that is probably, the most visually stunning game levels to date. Pure HR Giger.

http://i42.tinypic.com/vg0rnn.jpg
http://i43.tinypic.com/u36g5.jpg
http://i44.tinypic.com/snnfpf.jpg

Then, the entire tropical Island become a frozen paradice.
How many other games have a frozen tropical island?

http://i42.tinypic.com/rriej7.jpg
http://i41.tinypic.com/169rez6.jpg
Those may have been two of the four most interesting change of paces in the game, because I wasn't seeing just plants and grass everywhere. The feeling that I was in a tropical island was gone once those events happened.
Add to that the part where we had to sink a ship and had almost zero interactivity with the jungle. From this moment, the game became more bearable to me, because I was about to drop it, but the later two you mentioned is what made it special.

But that's me. I guess it's just a matter of taste. In the big city, I feel a bigger urge to fight and to protect everything than I feel in a isolated island. The city is here, is our world, full of people and where our everyday life is.
I simply relate more to the city.

What are the Crysis 2 enviroments?

A) New York at day.
B) New York At night.
I won't argue that, as I have yet to see it. But what I've seen in videos is pretty exciting, as it seems we travel different places in the city. In the jungle, all feels so similar to me.

I'm not seeing anywhere near the potential used of Crysis. The supposes emphasis of vertically basically amount to being 5-10 feet above the ground. Which you could pretty much do in Crysis with bases. The interactivity, scale and destructibility are all gimped. As are the vehicles which have been shoe-horned into small corridor like area's.

But that's a matter of technicality, isn't it? It doesn't affect the background or is affected by it.
None of this in the sequel when we shoot cars or punch a hut? Are there things like that, actually?

Particularly, I can live without that if the price is that it is set in a big city.
The fact that the first is set, for a big part, in a normal jungle, is what keep me away from replaying it.

One of the main things that annoys me, which admittedly is a small thing, but none the less annoys me intensely, every blade of grass, every leave would react to the player in Crysis. In Crysis 2, when the player unloads a pack of rounds into a tree, it reacts like it's made of metal. Hell, the leaves even react to wind. Something the new Elder Scrolls supposedly does that Crysis was doing way back in 2007.

[YT]bierbLFX8e8[/YT]

Both technically and gameplay wise, I consider this an inferior game.
They did slip, then. Too bad.
Fans were concerned that this kind of thing would happen if the game was made for the consoles too, differently from the first game, which was PC exclusive. Maybe that was the main problem? Because they weren't as limitless like in the first?

As for gameplay, I have yet to test it, but I read that it is easier to change the armor's capabilities. If we want to sprint, we press shift and run, for example, instead of changing the ability manually, saving some time. This seems like an improvement.

Last edited:
As for gameplay, I have yet to test it, but I read that it is easier to change the armor's capabilities. If we want to sprint, we press shift and run, for example, instead of changing the ability manually, saving some time. This seems like an improvement.

Thats what iv heard. Apparently in the last game you had to equip the 'Power' mode of your suit, in 2 its always on. If you want to strap some c4 to a car and kick it off a ledge onto an alien, you just hold the melee button and then Alcatraz uses the suit to power kick the car. I thought switching between the powers was really fluid. I loved that part of the game.

I want this game... I might pick it up during the summer game drought.

I want this game... I might pick it up during the summer game drought.

Do it. Its a lot of fun. Its what, imo, Halo should be. Super bad ass fighting against a more than capable alien force. You are basically the human version of the Predator and its awesome. Id love for the nanosuit go up against the Predator.

CvP, Crysis vs Predator, im down.

Last edited:
I'd compare it more with MW2

Haven't played it. Only bought Black Op's because I somewhat liked World At Wars SP.

as it had a bigger wow factor in me than BO.

The thing about Black Op's is that it has so many big scripted scenes full of men shouting in your face and stuff blowing up it seriously just becomes numbing.

They did slip, then. Too bad.
Fans were concerned that this kind of thing would happen if the game was made for the consoles too, differently from the first game, which was PC exclusive. Maybe that was the main problem? Because they weren't as limitless like in the first?

No doubt. Saying that though, Far Cry 2 which was also on the consoles wasn't really a visually unnatractive or a linear game, used a heavily modified Cryengine (1) and the vegetation is mostly interactive.

Do it. Its a lot of fun. Its what, imo, Halo should be. Super bad ass fighting against a more than capable alien force. You are basically the human version of the Predator and its awesome. Id love to the nanosuit go up against the Predator.

See I really like the Halo universe and 1-3... Something about Reach just felt "off" for me. However, this game just looks uber... and everyone on my Live friends list is playing it. Curse my ability to not stay away from "collector" edition games! *glares at MK preorder slip*.

yeah his literal trailers aren't bad but his "let's play" series is boring. Mostly coz I find his voice annoying. :o

I wasn't really liking the campaign but now that I'm mainly fighting aliens it's gotten a lot better. I was fighting that first big alien you come across and I had to hide behind a car to recharge. the sonfoa***** picked it up!! hhahah and then I power kicked it out of his hand lol so awesome

After playing this game both single player and multiplayer I can say this game is amazing, it has one of the best graphics I've seen on consoles, and the gameplay is very smooth ( on the SP side ) definitely one of the better fps games out this year.

So i got this on Saturday and i love it. I can see how fans of the first game on the PC might be a bit disappointed, as it's more linear.

But i still think it does well to let you do things in a variety of different ways. Skulk about with your Cloak, stealth killing or picking up explosive barrels and putting them in opportunistic areas then shooting them from afar. Power kicking cars into people, or my personal favourite, dropping an oversize donut on someone! Can even just avoid killing anyone at all in certain scenarios. I love the mission on the island where you gotta take out the power generator thing. Managed to get the achievement for not alerting anyone to my presence, Stealth Assassin i think it's called. A hard earned achievement/trophy, especially on the harder settings.

Or you can go with the Armour and run in there like a human tank just blowing everyone away.

It's just great, challenging fun, that's all i ask for from a game. And yea, definitely the best graphics on consoles.

So is this game worth it ? I am not buying anything Video Game related right now but I may pick it up during the Summer when nothing comes out. I hope the first one eventually comes to consoles

It's definitely worth it. It's infintely better than the CoD games.

And i doubt the first one will ever make it to consoles.

Do it. Its a lot of fun. Its what, imo, Halo should be. Super bad ass fighting against a more than capable alien force. You are basically the human version of the Predator and its awesome. Id love to the nanosuit go up against the Predator.

That is what I kept thinking while playing the game, why the hell isn't Master Chief like this. 343 studios needs to play this game and take some notes.

I've started to play the online a lot now, it's actually really fun. At first I hated it because I kept on getting destroyed but once you learn to use your nanosuit properly it gets to be really fun.

I haven't tried online yet. I got the limited edition version and it comes with some extra perks for online like a hologram projector. Has anyone tried it yet?

The hologram projector is alright, its funny to see them go after your hologram and its more advanced than the Reach one because it will go down into cover and what not but once you get your first attachment module I highly doubt anyone would use the hologram. I haven't unlocked it yet but I'm really looking forward to the classic playlists with no nanosuit involved, the online gunplay is good enough to where I think that would be a lot of fun.

I beat it today for the first time. This game is a one-of-a-kind. It really is one of the best FPS's I've ever played. It's one of those rare gems that adds nothing new, just implements ideas from other series. But it does those things so perfectly, it feels fresh. One thing that should be praised immensely is the cover system. Seriously, best FPS cover system ever. Easy to use and remember.

The A.I. is wonky and there are some really bad glitches (Melee is deactivated once you die until the next checkpoint, Nano-Catalysts remain at 0 when you reload a save for a LOOOOONG time.)

Overall, great, great game. This is my favorite FPS next to MW1 and CoD2.

9.5/10

Yea the AI can be really poor at times. That and some poor voice work are the only cOmPlaints I had.

I wrote an article regarding the numerous bugs in the PC version. If anybody has encountered these bugs in the console versions (or other significant bugs), I'd appreciate hearing about them in the comments, as I haven't played the console versions, and thus cannot speak on them in my article.

The only stuff I've experienced on the ps3 section so far is the occasional wonky AI

Got it today for the 360, decided that it was time to part ways with Reach as neither I, nor anyone on my friends list play it and LittleBigPlanet 2... as I got into that about as much as the first, which... to say the least wasn't much.

Practically every FPS uses a city or run-down city setting. And most that do use a jungle setting simply have a linear level with jungle props surrounding it. Why you would detest such an interactive, unique and beautiful setting is beyond me. :

Personally I find Crysis 2 far more interesting, visually, on a map by map basis. Yeah, the original had some really cool stuff (like the frozen jungle and the alien ship) that the sequel doesn't live up to, but the moment-to-moment map design is more interesting than endless jungle with a few shacks.

What's more, I find Crytek designed a better playground for the nanosuit than the original game. Yeah, the original was more open, but Crysis 2 has more in it, if you know what I mean. There were fewer toys to play with in the original, as a function of the fact that jungles are pretty empty. Though, admittedly, I miss the scale and destructibility of the original (even though the destructibility basically amounted knocking shacks down like a house of cards), I consider it a fair trade.

The only thing that sort of annoys me is the loss of super speed. That was sweet.

The supposes emphasis of vertically basically amount to being 5-10 feet above the ground.
This is inaccurate. There are many areas in Crysis 2 that offer a great deal of verticality if you bother to explore them. It's one of the things that, for me, makes it a cooler space to play in than the jungles of the original game, where there was often no reason to bother using a power jump, for example.

Yeah, the original had some really cool stuff (like the frozen jungle and the alien ship) that the sequel doesn't live up to
I retract this statement. Having just entered the part of the game that takes place on [blackout]a ship that has risen up out of the earth, resting high above the city and still carrying the land on it's back[/blackout] it's now clear that Crysis 2 does, in fact, live up to the cool environments of the first game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"