Damon Lindelof Developing The Leftovers at HBO

Crockett

With Teeth
Reaction score
In his first TV series project since Lost, Damon Lindelof is heading to HBO for The Leftovers, a drama based on Tom Perrotta’s 2011 book, which the two will co-write together. If The Leftovers moves forward, Lindelof will serve as the showrunner.

http://www.deadline.com/2012/06/damon-lindelof-leftovers-hbo-tom-perrotta-series-development-writing/

This is the summary of the book:

What if the Rapture happened and you got left behind? Or what if it wasn't the Rapture at all, but something murkier, a burst of mysterious, apparently random disappearances that shattered the world in a single moment, dividing history into Before and After, leaving no one unscathed? How would you rebuild your life in the wake of such a devastating event?

It sounds pretty good, and Lindelof & HBO is a match-up I wouldn't say no to, Vulture has an interview up in which he talks about what drew him to the book and that since it's a short book the possibilities of creating new characters and storylines.

I'm excited. :up:

Might just have to go pick this book up now.

The concept of a rapture-aftermath story sounds intriguing. This definitely has potential, so I'll keep it on my radar.

How long does it usually take HBO to make a decision on their shows?

Probably until they've shot a pilot. So it could be awhile, between finding a director and casting and such.

Lindelof and HBO? Um, hell yes?

Looks good. He signed an exclusive with WB. Hopefully he could be considered for a producer for a DC movie.

Looks good. He signed an exclusive with WB. Hopefully he could be considered for a producer for a DC movie.

I was hoping he'd convince them to make Gotham Central into a series.

i can't wait. I loved Lost. Lost, the way it was, should have been in a premium channel with a 12 - 13 episode season set up.

Should this go to series, I wonder if Damon might lure some of his former LOST writers. Elizabeth Sarnoff actually has HBO experience. She wrote for Deadwood before joining LOST.

Argh, beaten to the punch! :argh::csad:

Excited. :up:

http://www.deadline.com/2013/04/peter-berg-to-direct-damon-lindelofs-hbo-pilot-leftovers/
Peter Berg To Direct Damon Lindelof’s HBO Pilot ‘The Leftovers’
By NELLIE ANDREEVA

Peter Berg has closed a deal to direct Damon Lindelof’s HBO drama pilot The Leftovers based on Tom Perrotta’s 2011 book. In addition, Berg and his producing partner, Sarah Aubrey, will serve as executive producers on the pilot as well as the series, should it go forward, alongside Lindelof, Perrotta, Ron Yerxa and Albert Berger. The project, co-written by Lindelof and Perrotta, takes place after the Rapture happens but not quite like it’s supposed to. It is the story of the people who didn’t make the cut… and a world that will never be the same. The pilot is produced by Warner Bros. TV where Lindelof, who will serve as showrunner on Leftovers, is under a rich overall deal. Berg, who also is directing and exec producing the NBC pilot Bloodline, is with WME.
Kind of a mixed bag of a director. On one hand, Battleship. On the other, Friday Night Lights. Film and series.

I just saw on twitter that Michael Slovis (Breaking Bad) will be the director of photography for the pilot. :up:

I just saw on twitter that Michael Slovis (Breaking Bad) will be the director of photography for the pilot. :up:

excited5.gif

About people left behind after the Rapture.

Lindelof gave a pretty good idea of what it is:

The Rapture happens. That's the premise of the book. Like, 2 percent of the world's population disappears in an instant, and they don't like, float up. Their clothes aren't left behind. They're just gone. You go, "Two percent of the world's population? That's not a lot." But it's 170 million people, and if you think about big things that have happened — like 9/11, which changed the world forever: [almost 3,000] people died. One hundred seventy million people disappearing is a pretty big deal.

But it's not the Apocalypse. There aren't zombies walking around, and it's not a postnuclear wasteland, so essentially, tomorrow morning, you've still got to wake up and go to work and pay your taxes and put food on your table. And so the book starts three years after this thing that they call the Sudden Departure; religious people believe it was the Rapture, but the world at large refers to it as the Sudden Departure, because the people who disappeared — there doesn't seem to be any selection process. The Pope disappears, but also Gary Busey disappears. So it's sort of like, in the Venn diagram of Pope and Busey, what are the intersections?

The Pope disappears, but also Gary Busey disappears. So it's sort of like, in the Venn diagram of Pope and Busey, what are the intersections?
Lol, Im sold.

Christopher Eccleston, Ann Dowd, Amanda Warren and Carrie Coon added to the cast

Coon will play Nora Durst, a wife and mother who is suddenly neither. Dowd will play Patti Levin, leader of the local chapter of the Guilty Remnant, an organization that is somewhere between a cult and a movement. Eccleston, will play Matt Jamison, former Reverend and current editor of his self-published tabloid. Warren plays Lucy Warburton, Mapleton’s take-no-prisoners mayor.

Eccleston!!! :awesome::up:

http://www.deadline.com/2013/06/mic...eftovers-amanda-walsh-leads-foxs-wtf-america/
Michael Gaston has joined the cast of Damon Lindelof’s HBO drama pilot The Leftovers, directed by Peter Berg. Co-written by Lindelof and Tom Perrotta based on Perrotta’s book, the project takes place after the Rapture happens but not quite like it’s supposed to. It is the story of the people who didn’t make the cut… and a world that will never be the same. Gaston, repped by APA and Sanders Armstrong Caserta Management, will play Dean, a man who seems to understand that times have changed and addresses it head-on — often violently. He has recurred on Mad Men, The Mentalist and Damages.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"