Justice League Danny Elfman Scoring Justice League - Part 2

Look at dat troll. How hard he tries to bait.

No, I haven't been baiting anyone. I'm just laughing at your poor excuse to insult anyone who likes Hans Zimmer's music.

I'm transcribing the MoS themes and wow, I haven't even realized how many themes are there and they are all so catchy. MoS 2 without Zimmer would be pretty meh.

I was disappointed by the JL score. I expected more out of Elfman. I was wrong.

The one thing that disappointed me about BvS' score was that only half of MoS' themes were used. Clark's is the only notable return (and it's overused until it becomes obnoxious), with Zod's theme, and Launch & Battle Continues cues only used once each.

But the Superman, Lois and Flight themes were all absent. Zimmer said when spotting the film he couldn't find a place for Superman's theme in the film, but at the very least Lois' theme could've been used during her investigations.

Last edited:
The one thing that disappointed me about BvS' score was that only half of MoS' themes were used. Clark's is the only notable return (and it's overused until it becomes obnoxious), with Zod's theme, and Launch & Battle Continues cues only used once each.

But the Superman, Lois and Flight themes were all absent. Zimmer said when spotting the film he couldn't find a place for Superman's theme in the film, but at the very least Lois' theme could've been used during her investigations.

It kind of is, I'm not gonna lie. When Clark was about to self-sarifice and we got that theme again it felt quite overplayed.

What really hurts it is that it's very simplistic and always played on piano. If Zimmer and Snyder were adamant in using it so frequently, they at least could've mixed up the orchestration. Something like the Earth suite would've been nice, it has that Morricone flair. Or maybe more traditionally orchestral.

But it's used in practically every Clark/Superman theme and it gets old fast. I remember hearing it for the first time in the last MoS trailer and loving it, but now I'm at the point where when I listen to either MoS or BvS and that theme comes on I skip the track.

What really hurts it is that it's very simplistic and always played on piano. If Zimmer and Snyder were adamant in using it so frequently, they at least could've mixed up the orchestration. Something like the Earth suite would've been nice, it has that Morricone flair. Or maybe more traditionally orchestral.

But it's used in practically every Clark/Superman theme and it gets old fast. I remember hearing it for the first time in the last MoS trailer and loving it, but now I'm at the point where when I listen to either MoS or BvS and that theme comes on I skip the track.

Well, Zimmer is not "old-school" in this regard. He does not change the orchestration in places where Goldsmith or Williams definitely would, especially Willliams. He's the master of this. With can lead to things getting old fast.
Zimmer's not using the orchestra in the classical way. Plus Zimmer does not modulate like these guys would and he does not change themes like these guys would to reflect the scene. The best example would be Star Wars vs Batman Begins. In SW you can hear the Force theme in so many variations throughout the movie, in BB, the theme does not change no matter the situation Bruce's in.
His music has very different structure, you can tell he's not a classically trained composer.

Bloody hell, the sound effects in 5.1 are in the exactly same channels as Elfman's score. :whatever:

Bloody hell, the sound effects in 5.1 are in the exactly same channels as Elfman's score. :whatever:

Yep...so annoying. At least the dialogue and some of the sound effects are together without the score.

WB intentionally torturing you.

icon_lol.gif

Yep...so annoying. At least the dialogue and some of the sound effects are together without the score.

And even there are moments where the music is present. :whatever:

Just listening to Tom Holkenborg’s music for Sonic The Hedgehog. Really think he could have merged Zimmer and Elfman/Williams music together better than Elfman’s (rushed) effort. Dr Robotnik’s theme smacks of William’s ‘March Of The Villains’ in my opinion while sounding more modern.

BvS and JL had such lackluster music. Such a bummer. Joker had the best DC superhero score since MOS.

I liked the Flash music they played a few times. That was the only Elfman music that stood out to me.

I wouldn't be as critical of it if Danny Elfman didn't act like an entitled prick about it along with his "oh, my Batman theme should be the only Batman theme" comments.

yea elfman's comments were dumb regarding that because everybody knows adam west's batman theme is THE batman theme. :o

the elfman theme is good for the burton movies.
i think shirley walker took some of that and improved upon it for BTAS.

BTAS theme is probably the main batman music in my mind.

I wouldn't be as critical of it if Danny Elfman didn't act like an entitled prick about it along with his "oh, my Batman theme should be the only Batman theme" comments.

Yeah, that above all else is what grinds my gears. I love Elfman's Batman theme, but it's not the Batman theme any more than the 60s Batman, Batman TAS, the Nolan films, or even what we got in BvS. To stand on a pedestal and say that his theme was the only one was just...I don't know if "entitled" is the right word, but just off-putting.

yea, all the themes are good for each version of the batman they represent, imo.

i am looking forward to hearing more giacchino's theme for battinson.
that small tease from the camera test sounded goood.

I liked the BvS score overall. Though I think of the Snyder movies, MoD is easily the best scored. The score for JL sucked. Some of Elfman's worst work. Which is a shame, cause I like Elfman normally.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
paulsantiagoolg
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"