Justice League Danny Elfman vs Junkie XL: Score Rivalry

Spider-Aziz

Dummy Dragon Holo
Reaction score
Or the Theatrical Release vs the Snyder Cut, which score did you enjoy more? Which one is better?

I'm sure Tom Holkenberg made more tracks and recycled less of his tracks, that should make it a fairer comparison now.

:oldrazz:

no contest. junkie xl's soundtrack all the way!

i don't remember anything about elfman's.

i think elfman's peaked. doesn't take away from his legacy though. he made a lot of great music back then, but i think his time has passed. it comes to everybody.

I'll say this, I would have much preferred Zimmer come back for JL. Junkie XL was too heavy handed in a lot of places and I feel like there were some big moments where his score fell flat. The Flash speed force scene he did well with, gotta give credit there.

Elfman I can't even give a grade to, its an incomplete. Uninspired, reliant on the nostalgia factor in little places and he probably had what? a few weeks/months to put something together for Joss?

Zimmer coming back and bringing a lot of the MOS motifs with him would've elevated this thing considerably. His score in MOS definitely elevated the movie for me.

At this point I don't think a poll will be necessary, Tom Holkenberg will definitely dominate it.

Most of what I remember of Elfman's score is his use of some notes from his Batman theme on the GCPD scene.

I love Elfman, but his JL score sucked so much. Only liked the Rooftop meeting with Gordon, and this because of the old Batman theme... everything else was bland and forgetable.
Junkie XL's JL is great, loved his main theme.

Junkie XL and its not a contest. This track alone from the tunnel sequence trumps all of Elfman’s work on the movie.

This music gives the entire tunnel action sequence a completely different vibe and energy than Elfman’s whimsical strings from the Whedon cut. I remember i was nodding my head throughout this entire sequence thanks to how energizing the music was.

Junkie XL and its not a contest. This track alone from the tunnel sequence trumps all of Elfman’s work on the movie.

This music gives the entire tunnel action sequence a completely different vibe and energy than Elfman’s whimsical strings from the Whedon cut. I remember i was nodding my head throughout this entire sequence thanks to how energizing the music was.

Yeah, million times better than theatrical ost! This and the Batman vs parademons in the Batmobile. They feel like completely different scenes just by the soundtrack.

love this part of the soundtrack and how it enhances the scene.

it reminds me of nine inch nails.

it's like the official theme for when the JL bout to beat some parademon ass!

I LOVED Junkie's revamped Batman theme for this too. His theme in BvS was a little too...generic? It fit the tone of the movie and the way Batman was in that movie but I love how Batman's score in this is much more badass and heroic.

The suite here is just everything, it is 100% classic BATMAN:

Lowkey even though the movie was disappointing Zimmer’s WW84 score is fire. I have it in constant rotation and it keeps making me wish the movie was better :(

Elfman's score is better. Period.

I have Elfman's on CD and enjoy it outside of the movie - I cant even imagine I could do that with Junkie's score.
In my edit of ZSJL I've got rid of 95% of Junkie's music.

both were forgettable imo. Elfman was too nostalgic and Junkie XL was just beh. it was the first ZS movie where the soundtrack left no impression. i cant even hum it

While people like to throw shade at Elfman's JL score because he reused his Batman theme and brought back Williams' Superman theme, the Snyder Cut leaves in several cues used in the temp track from MOS and BvS.

And while Holkenborg showed MAJOR promise with his score for Alita Battle Angel, he went back into the RC moody phase for the Snyder Cut. It's nice to see him revisit the Superman motif Zimmer introduced in MOS (and rarely used in BvS) as well as the WW war cry, but the underscore gets boring after a while.

But Elfman's score gave the Josstice Cut energy and emotion. Holkenborg botches the scoring for the Superman resurrection scene, while Elfman captured the suspense, uncertainty and awe of what was happening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"