Comics Dead forum?

Ben_Reilly

Civilian
Reaction score
Why is this place so dead?
Yes, I know, real life, but jeez, this is really slow, almost a full month with nothing new here?

Did marvel/disney kill the love for this once great character?

Does no one like the new writer/artist?

Is the story really bad and no one wants to talk about it?

I've always been interested is reading everyone else's opinions and theories for what's going on and what may happen in the book.

Why is this place so dead?
Yes, I know, real life, but jeez, this is really slow, almost a full month with nothing new here?

Did marvel/disney kill the love for this once great character?

Does no one like the new writer/artist?

Is the story really bad and no one wants to talk about it?

I've always been interested is reading everyone else's opinions and theories for what's going on and what may happen in the book.

It basically is dead. I mean even when things were popping over the past couple of years it was only about 4 people in here posting with any sort of regularity.

I had zero interest in Beyond. And this new run with Wells is so underwhelming. I like the stuff with Tombstone but that's about it. Everything else is once again a regression with the character. We've seen the same thing over and over and over...it's like Marvel is open to bringing about a new status for Peter and then they chicken out and just reset everything. It's so tiring. And disappointing. Wells is just doing a retread of the whole 'Parker Luck' idea we've seen with Mackie, BND, Wolfman, and so on and on. Even the preview for issue 900 looks so blah. I've said this before in another post but I feel like the entire creative team from top to bottom needs an overhaul.

As a longtime Spider-Man reader, fan, supporter, why should I continue to buy these books? If all they are going to do is constantly reset the same status and constantly regress the character, why should I support that?

It basically is dead. I mean even when things were popping over the past couple of years it was only about 4 people in here posting with any sort of regularity.

I had zero interest in Beyond. And this new run with Wells is so underwhelming. I like the stuff with Tombstone but that's about it. Everything else is once again a regression with the character. We've seen the same thing over and over and over...it's like Marvel is open to bringing about a new status for Peter and then they chicken out and just reset everything. It's so tiring. And disappointing. Wells is just doing a retread of the whole 'Parker Luck' idea we've seen with Mackie, BND, Wolfman, and so on and on. Even the preview for issue 900 looks so blah. I've said this before in another post but I feel like the entire creative team from top to bottom needs an overhaul.

As a longtime Spider-Man reader, fan, supporter, why should I continue to buy these books? If all they are going to do is constantly reset the same status and constantly regress the character, why should I support that?
Initially, I was super excited for Beyond.
But as it went on and on, I started to hate it. Got really excited for one issue, only for them to back out and destroy the ending and character.

After that, and also learning that the editor is a massive wizard magazine fan and staunchly anti-Ben, that I'm now done with marvel in full

DC doesn't look much better, none of the independents look appealing.

I need to find a new hobby.

Is there any other character that is as broken as Spider-Man?

The Spider Offices can kiss my a$$. I've said it before and I'll say it again, editorial needs to go and have a complete overhaul. Not only has this current run been a complete waste so far, now they're recycling even more BND creators. Slott has been given an assignment to write an adjectiveless Spider-Man series that will conclude Spider-Verse. Seriously? Let's just regress the character as much as possible. Cause that's definitely what the fans want. Let's reuse all this 'talent' from one of the most hated eras in Spidey history and recycle those ideas. You mean to tell me they couldn't get any other writers on board to pen a companion series to ASM? Up an coming Jed Mackay would be such a good choice. Al Ewing is just sitting right there. Even Cates has expressed interest in writing Spider-Man. But no, instead we get the worst writer to ever be on Spider-Man.

It's just sad.
Us fans have been with the character for decades, but all they care about is new readers ( of which there are very few ) or non-readers ( the idiots on social outrage media )
I just don't understand why they can't get good stories, writers or artists on this character.

Wow, it really is, if the comics section got merged with other ones.

Here's the thing... comics were never meant to be written for fans to read them continuously for "decades"... you can only reinvent something so many times, and since no one wants to create new characters anymore (for fear of losing out on billions from movie success), we are stuck with what we have.

Even in the 80s and 90s, you could see storylines being recycled as those creators, who were influenced by the original creators of the 60s and 70s, flush out similar ideas. I remember reading in the mid-80s that the average life span of a comic book reader was ± 7 years.

But serialized fiction means the story never ends.
So maybe, just maybe, we've all outgrown our beloved hero.

Somehow, we all want to see a happy ending for our tormented hero, which will never happen.

Once in a while, I read a decent storyline, but nothing that compares to the magic I read from 1977 to 1985 (there's your 7 years hahaha). I buy the book nowadays just to say that I have over 900+ consecutive issues of Amazing Spider-Man, but I'm only around issue #825 ± in my current reading.

In MY opinion, the marriage should have never happened as it was obviously rushed (heck, Peter slept with the Black Cat 5 issues before he proposed :dry: ), but Stan did his thing in the strips, and Marvel wanted to cash in. And maybe as I type this, I'm the victim of my own initial statement... maybe I was outgrowing Spider-Man at the time.

I'm guessing some of the people who post in this thread have similar issues, but with their own favourite personal eras of Spidey... I'm guessing the 90s based on the pro-marriage comments.

Anyhoo, that's just my opinion, and it has the same value as a wooden nickel.
Cheers.

:batty:

I remember reading in the mid-80s that the average life span of a comic book reader was ± 7 years.

I'm guessing some of the people who post in this thread have similar issues, but with their own favourite personal eras of Spidey... I'm guessing the 90s based on the pro-marriage comments.

I'll admit there probably is something like that with me, I was big fan from 1995 or 1996 to about 2001/2002 and then decreasingly so through to 2006, and I liked to love most of the stuff from then, though also some from before then. Though then I read and loved a lot of earlier material from about 2010 to 2013.

Even in the 80s and 90s, you could see storylines being recycled as those creators, who were influenced by the original creators of the 60s and 70s, flush out similar ideas.

serialized fiction means the story never ends.
So maybe, just maybe, we've all outgrown our beloved hero.

Somehow, we all want to see a happy ending for our tormented hero, which will never happen.

He doesn't need to suffer so much for so long, though, and the echoing or recycling of material at least shouldn't be bringing back old characters to make them evil villains.

I think there’s something to be said about everyone growing out of our hero. There’s also the issue that comics suck at bringing in new fans so there’s no one to replace us.

However, I think that because Spider-Man is a coming of age it’s more obvious when he doesn’t come of age.

You can track Peter as a high schooler, then a college student and then a masters student etc. Those changes didn’t really change the book that much but it’s obvious progression and then that stopped because it had too. Whereas other heroes can almost stay in the same status quo for decades and no one cares because the progression and then regression is less obvious.

Is there any other character that is as broken as Spider-Man?

I remember years ago, like 20 years ago, this place was popping. You had guys like Donald Thomas sending other post several comics saved on cd whenever we would correct or point out a comics-related error he made. There were si many active threads that you dare not log in for more than a day. Anyway, another character as broken? T'Challa. What Marvel editorial have done to T'Challa is reprehensible. With Peter Parker and T'Challa being my 2 favourite superheroes, what Marvel have done with the ip leaves me disgusted and detached.

Good to see everyone is here...or not here. I was just figuring I'd pop in and say hello.
As for Spidey comics...
ASM is sucking so hard right now. The plot is lame, they split Peter and MJ up, then gave us Peter and BC, and then split them up, and now we have Spidey being a side character in his own book half of the time. Not for me.
Ultimate Spider-Man's new book has a promising direction. Something a little different and interesting, and the art is BEAUTIFUL. I've been saying that Marc Checcetto(sp) should draw Spidey ever since he started on DD years ago.

Hope everyone is doing well!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"