Comics Amazing Spider-Man #1 (ugh) By Ryan Ottley! and Nic Spencer

Ben_Reilly

Civilian
Reaction score
Will update this...

From Newsarama:
Marvel has released the first look at writer Nick Spencer and artist Ryan Ottley's debut as the new ongoing Amazing Spider-Man creative team, with interior pages from Amazing Spider-Man: Free Comic Book Day #1, as well as a pencilled page from July's Amazing Spider-Man #1.
INFINITY WATCH/AMAZING SPIDER-MAN
Don’t miss this year’s Free Comic Book Day titles from Marvel, each featuring two 10-page stories that set the stage for upcoming game-changers in the Marvel Universe. Get ready as Heroes Assemble in the Marvel Universe! Please check back in with the February issue of PREVIEWS, and at freecomicbookday.com for future updates!

From Newsarama:
Writer Nick Spencer and artist Ryan Ottley will relaunch Amazing Spider-Man this July as part of Marvel's "Fresh Start" initiative.
The series will launch with a new #1 following the end of Dan Slott's 10-year run on the title. As for what's in store, Spencer says he and Ottley, who will be doing his first work since the end of Image's Invincible, are going back to basics for the Friendly Neighborhood Wall-Crawler.
"I think that a lot of what I'll be doing is reconnecting Peter with some very classic, quintessential elements of the story that fans and readers are going to recognize," Spencer told ComicBook. "And it's exciting to bring the character back to basics and, at the same time, Dan has obviously had one of the best runs on the character ever, and we're certainly going to honor the things that he's done and build from there."
"The best Spider-Man, his personal [trouble] is mirroring his troubles in costume, and the two stories are feeding each other and being Spider-Man always comes with considerable costs to Peter," Spencer continued. "It's always getting in the way of his life. So, to me, it's kind of a dance between those two things at this stage."
“Super excited to be working with Nick on this book," added Ottley. "Spider-Man was my first love when it comes to comics, so this is a pretty nostalgic feeling, and so far I’m having a blast putting my spin on these characters.”
Amazing Spider-Man #1 is scheduled to debut July 11.

From CBR:
Marvel Comics is relaunching The Amazing Spider-Man as part of its “Fresh Start” initiative, from the creative team of writer Nick Spencer (Secret Empire), artist Ryan Ottley (Invincible), inker Cliff Rathburn and colorist Laura Martin.
Spencer recently concluded his run on the pair of Captain America titles, while Ottley is moving to Marvel after his and Robert Kirkman’s Invincible ended this month
“I knew that Ryan was wrapping on Invincible, and I kept thinking, ‘God, would he be the perfect person for this?’ Spider-Man is such an artist book,” Spencer told Comicbook.com. “It’s contained some of the best artists in Marvel Comics history, and I really do believe that Ryan, if he wants to be, is really one of the best superhero artists working in comics. And so, he was very much on the dream list, and we’re so lucky and thankful that he was interested in doing it, and we’re just [having] so much fun so far. And you know working with him is naturally a joy, and the pages are just so perfect. They’re really gonna blow people away.”
“Super excited to be working with Nick on this book,” Ottley said. “Spider-Man was my first love when it comes to comics, so this is a pretty nostalgic feeling, and so far I’m having a blast putting my spin on these characters.”
As far as supporting characters that fans can expect to see in the series, Spencer revealed some familiar faces will be sticking around.
“When you get excited to write Spider-Man, it’s because you’re also excited to write Jonah and Aunt May and MJ and Black Cat,” Spencer added. “You know, just there’s so many incredible characters in this orbit, so getting to play with that cast, getting to make them a big part of our story is key. And I can say pretty much all of your favorites will be making an appearance at some point.”
The Amazing Spider-Man #1 by Nick Spencer and Ryan Ottley arrives in June from Marvel Comics.

Newsarama says July, CBR says June....

From ComicBook.com:
Spider-Man is getting a fresh start from Marvel Comics.
This July, Marvel will launch Amazing Spider-Man #1 from writer Nick Spencer (Secret Empire), artist Ryan Ottley (Invincible), inker Cliff Rathburn & colorist Laura Martin. The new series comes hot off the heels of former writer, Dan Slott's, historic ten year run with the series. ComicBook.com caught up with Spencer and Ottley to talk about the new direction the book is headed and what fans can expect from the series.
Pitching the book was a little bit easier than expected according to Spencer. Much of it came out of a conversation, and Spencer came to realize he was working on the "book of [his] dreams." Spencer immediately had Ottley in mind when it came to finding a dance partner for the book as well.
"I knew that Ryan was wrapping on Invincible, and I kept thinking, 'God, would he be the perfect person for this?' Spider-Man is such an artist book," said Spencer. "It's contained some of the best artists in Marvel Comics history, and I really do believe that Ryan, if he wants to be, is really one of the best superhero artists working in comics. And so, he was very much on the dream list, and we're so lucky and thankful that he was interested in doing it, and we're just [having] so much fun so far. And you know working with him is naturally a joy, and the pages are just so perfect. They're really gonna blow people away."

Ottley also can't wait to get started. “Super excited to be working with Nick on this book," he said. "Spider-Man was my first love when it comes to comics, so this is a pretty nostalgic feeling, and so far I’m having a blast putting my spin on these characters.”
As for why Ottley is the perfect artist for Spider-Man? According to Spencer, it's a no-brainer.

"First of all, Ryan does the action sequences better than just about anyone. So, learning to step with him on that has been a lot of fun. His sense of motion, his character's mobility, you really could not find a more perfect artist for an elastic character like Spider-Man," he said. "With Ryan, he really likes to put the camera at crazy angles, lots of motion, lots of speed bumps. The other thing that I love about Ryan is his panel density. Ryan's been working within a grid, and so when you want to play the action down and get close in on some things, he can deliver that for you. For a writer, it's an enormous dream to work with somebody like him because he really can do anything."
Even with a fresh start for Spider-Man, Spencer says that fans should prepare for something classic with Peter Parker and the world around him.
"I think that a lot of what I'll be doing is reconnecting Peter with some very classic, quintessential elements of the story that fans and readers are going to recognize," Spencer added. "And it's exciting to bring the character back to basics and, at the same time, Dan [Slott] has obviously had one of the best runs on the character ever, and we're certainly going to honor the things that he's done and build from there."

Spencer and Ottley are aiming to find the balance between Peter and Spider-Man and in this new series it's all about the juxtaposition of the two.

"The best Spider-Man, his personal [trouble] is mirroring his troubles in costume, and the two stories are feeding each other and being Spider-Man always comes with considerable costs to Peter," Spencer noted. "It's always getting in the way of his life. So, to me, it's kind of a dance between those two things at this stage."
Naturally, we had to ask Nick about Spider-Man's extensive supporting cast. After all, what is Spider-Man without the ones around him? Spencer has got it all covered.

"When you get excited to write Spider-Man, it's because you're also excited to write Jonah and Aunt May and MJ and Black Cat," he admitted. "You know, just there's so many incredible characters in this orbit, so getting to play with that cast, getting to make them a big part of our story is key. And I can say pretty much all of your favorites will be making an appearance at some point."
Spider-Man has always been a key member of the Marvel Universe given his view of the world. He's easily one of the most relatable characters and Spencer and Ottley plan to keep it that way.
"We're gonna tell a really fun, funny, human character-driven story here," Spencer said. "But a key part of it is also what Peter's role in the Marvel universe is, and what the Marvel universe looks like from his vantage point. That's always fun. Because he is the every man character, because he is the working class hero. You know when he's next to those other Marvel heroes, he really stands out. It really helps make what's unique about the character strength."

Last edited:
Am I the only one completely fed up with this return to basics crap?
He has a roommate... Means he is either working a dead end job or not working at all/very little

New loves... OMD not undone, but then again, I'm not a MJ fan...

Back to a #1 issue... we just got the numbers reverted!

Ugh in the title was referring the reboot numbering, not Ryan Ottley.
I like Ottley's work!

Supposedly Tom Brevortt alluded to possibly doing dual numbering like they did after the 1999 reboot...but yeah its dumb...Marvel Legacy original numbering didn't even last a year.

Am I the only one completely fed up with this return to basics crap?
He has a roommate... Means he is either working a dead end job or not working at all/very little

New loves... OMD not undone, but then again, I'm not a MJ fan...

Back to a #1 issue... we just got the numbers reverted!

Even people who are not fans of MJ still recognize the erroneous mistake that is OMD.

Marvel needs to win back fans and so far all I am seeing is the 'new coat of paint' attitude that has been plaguing the Marvel relaunches. It's gonna take more than that to win back fans and reversing OMD and more importantly, apologizing for their error is a great way to start to mend the bond. DC did it right.

And in that last quote from Spencer where he says:
"And it's exciting to bring the character back to basics and, at the same time, Dan [Slott] has obviously had one of the best runs on the character ever, and we're certainly going to honor the things that he's done and build from there."

is just so wrong on many levels. Slott having one of the best runs is inaccurate. Longest? yes. Best? Not even close. Spencer needs to avoid Slott's run like the plague. Look at all the characters that Slott has either invented or used in favor of the classic lineup. None of them save for maybe Mr. Negative is worth keeping around. The rest are easily forgotten and none of them could ever replace the original cast. Honor what Slott's done? By that he must mean attempt to destroy or ruin many of the classic characters in the book and turn Peter into an incapable, emotional 15 year old that is the butt of everyone's jokes. Yeah, no thanks. If this is how they intend to continue with ASM, I'll continue not supporting them.

Supposedly Tom Brevortt alluded to possibly doing dual numbering like they did after the 1999 reboot...but yeah its dumb...Marvel Legacy original numbering didn't even last a year.

lol. What does last a year with Marvel?

yet ANOTHER renumbering?!?

DEFur7dXsAA2Ipm.jpg

Really exciting team, wish em the best of luck!

yet ANOTHER renumbering?!?

DEFur7dXsAA2Ipm.jpg

They're gonna have the dual numbering like they did in the early 2000s again. So while it's the millionth number 1 it will have the actual number off to the side somewhere. I don't understand why they haven't just been doing this all along.

Like how can one tell which books to read if there's no indication what comes next in the bigger picture? Read Wolverine 1-14 and then continue collecting with Wolverine 1-6, followed by Wolverine 500 and then Wolverine 1 again?

I was really hoping that things might actually start to change at Marvel with a new EIC in charge. Clearly I was mistaken.

Seriously, after everything that's happened over the past year or so, can Marvel even really afford to do this kind of crap anymore?

Ugh in the title was referring the reboot numbering, not Ryan Ottley.
I like Ottley's work!

Aloha,
So do I.
Let's give this at least 3 issues before we judge the old/new direction.
Spidey rules

Well, it's here...

To me, while I liked seeing it being a mostly one and done issue, it was kinda boring.

The end just kinda came out of nowhere considering how these characters have recently been portrayed.

Also wasn't this one guy just on the opposite side of the country?

Read this. I'll be reading this forever if it's true.
https://www.cbr.com/amazing-spider-man-fresh-start-one-more-day-over/3/

PLEASE.

Also, they reference the Sensational Spider-Man Annual, which was one of the last really great Spider-Man stories for me. Such an awesome issue. If they go that path...wow. I would be happy. Sure, it's a mess to clean it all up, but it still needs to be cleaned up.

[/B]

Aloha,
So do I.
Let's give this at least 3 issues before we judge the old/new direction.
Spidey rules

I will read it for at least 10 if Ottley stays on board! Also...we NEED him to draw a Venom story. His Venom is off the charts incredible! (then again, so is the Venom series by Cates and Stegman)

Is it me, or does it seem like:
1- Peter has no secret identity anymore
1- most of the heroes and heroines don't like Spidey anymore

Read this. I'll be reading this forever if it's true.
https://www.cbr.com/amazing-spider-man-fresh-start-one-more-day-over/3/

PLEASE.

Also, they reference the Sensational Spider-Man Annual, which was one of the last really great Spider-Man stories for me. Such an awesome issue. If they go that path...wow. I would be happy. Sure, it's a mess to clean it all up, but it still needs to be cleaned up.

Aloha,
I liked the first issue #802:cwink:
Never thought Peter and MJ had to be married but always liked their relationship. OMD dissolved the marriage but never their love. In fact, go back to One More Day and that was the parting conversation. That their love would remain.
Peter needs a lawyer. Taking away his degree on the basis of a new technology should be challenged up and down! Especially since there was an investigation into that same issue before and he was found innocent.
It is a Brand New Day. Let's go with it a few issue and see how things work out.

Spidey rules

My thoughts in brief:

They better be reinstating the marriage. Every time they going at it without doing it is one more time they piss me off, like someone poking an old wound

Aloha,
I liked the first issue #802:cwink:
Never thought Peter and MJ had to be married but always liked their relationship. OMD dissolved the marriage but never their love. In fact, go back to One More Day and that was the parting conversation. That their love would remain.
Peter needs a lawyer. Taking away his degree on the basis of a new technology should be challenged up and down! Especially since there was an investigation into that same issue before and he was found innocent.
It is a Brand New Day. Let's go with it a few issue and see how things work out.

Spidey rules

At this point, I'm just happy to have MJ back as his love interest. If they can give her a STRONG supporting role in the book again, I'm happy. I want some more street-level Spidey goodness...and some meaningful Peter Parker drama.

Gotta say this is the 1st ASM issue I've read in a long time that I really enjoyed. It's kinda renewed my hope that Marvel is doing some sort of course correction (I know know... Marvel be Marvel and may dash my dreams). I hope they don't pull a fast one with the whole MJ thing but I will say I am looking forward to see how things go forward with the title.

Wow, what a first issue!

Marvel kept this story close to the chest…no spoilers (I’m looking at you DC) and as a result an awesome twist that no one saw coming and even better, was a pleasant surprise.

Let’s get started…

The whole idea that Peter knows his roommate is Boomerang is something I was not expecting however despite this being something of a been there done that dynamic it also proves something right away—it shows us that Peter is not an idiot. Peter is keeping Boomerang around and unaware to probably bust him later or keep tabs on him…Peter is smart and this shows us that…something Slott continually failed to do.

I’m digging the Kingpin’s plan for trying to dismantle Spider-Man. It’s giving us an actual reason why Spidey is having difficulty with other heroes. I’m sure we’ll get to see more of this in future issues.

I really enjoyed the humor. Mysterio’s monologue, “my sexy chair”, etc. all great lol stuff.

But even with the humor the tonal shifts in the book were handled so well, I never lost sight of what was happening to Peter—I felt for him, I sympathized with his struggles. The book not only starts to tear down all the crap we’ve been enduring with Slott but it does so with given explanations and takes what happened previously to build on the narrative. Finally bringing to light Peter’s false doctorate was such a great move and way overdue. Spencer takes a smart step here by not just bringing it up and then quickly discarding it, instead he takes something away and then gives something back. Peter’s world comes crashing down and here we get a throwback to some good ol’ Spidey storytelling—Peter’s double life is the thing that is messing up his every day life…he can’t tell the people closest to him what’s been happening. And at the same time Peter knows what he did was wrong. Peter should have dealt with this issue a long time ago, he had chances to do so, and now he’s going to pay for it. What I really love is Aunt May brings back Peter’s origins in a very unforced way. Such a great moment.

The ending was easily my favorite part. Peter is acknowledging what MJ means to him and how much of an important person she is in his life—gives him the strength to move forward and fight against adversity. It’s reminiscent of JMS’ run and more specifically the story “Doomed Affairs.” Again, we’re finally able to see Peter be emotional in a vulnerable way and then be rewarded. There’s still a chance OMD can be undone but even if it isn’t, now, finally, after 10 friggin years we’re getting what many of us have been waiting for…MJ is acting how she should and I hope that in the next few issues we get to see this same story but from MJ’s perspective just like in that JMS story.

In thinking about this first issue under Spencer it is really similar to the Fall of Parker issue. We have Peter lose his job, is under public scrutiny, his family and friends turn against him and even the scene with Robbie and also the end with kissing a love interest are almost exact but…Spencer did it right—this is what Fall of Parker SHOULD have been. Fall of Parker just outright drags Peter thru the mud and belittles him and mocks him. Here with Spencer we’re made to feel sympathetic for Peter—he’s got troubles but the story constantly reminds us that Peter is a good guy. In Fall of Parker his family and friends talk down to him but this one had them instead express their concern for Peter and also being upset knowing that he let himself be so irresponsible. The big difference is that all the interactions felt so human, there was real emotion, actual character moments instead of plot point A moving to plot point B. Robbie even goes so far as to state that he’s sorry for having to fire Peter and knows deep down that Peter is a good person. And in the end, Peter ends up kissing a love however in this issue he’s rewarded for doing the right thing—he actually gets a win. This is how it’s done! Gone is the emotional 15-year old crap from Slott and his hack fan-fic writing style, now we have Peter being a mature adult, accepting his wrongdoings but still looks to try and do the right thing. Harkening back to the Ditko days we have Peter basically being tortured but in the end he’s still able to score a small win.

I loved the bit about Peter basically demoting Otto to “runner up” status which IMO is not taking jabs at Ock but rather putting an end to the saint slOtto garbage of the past 8 years.

And also loved the bit where Peter states he already knew the info in Otto’s doctorate work and even came up with something that was better than what Otto was working on, then in awesome fashion Peter ends up using his ‘better science’ to figure out a solution to the alien invasion.

Not last at all but definitely the topper on such a great issue was Ottley’s artwork.

I’d have to say this was easily the best Spider-Man comic in the past 10 years. I not only enjoyed everything here but I’m actually finding myself excited about what is to come. Spencer is winning me over…I know we’re only one issue into this new direction but it’s still so excellent. Spencer is systematically starting to wipe out what Slott has been doing, how he’s been dragging Peter and Spider-Man down. Spencer seems to be trying to win over the crowd whereas Slott only ever really cared about trying to justify his own ego and his work reflected that.

#802 gets an A.

haven't bought Amazing Spider-Man for a long long long time (since they killed Ben Reilly!) but gave this a go

loved it and will continue to buy - also love the art, really suits the world of Spidey imo

Ever since Nick Spencer was announced he'd be taking over from Dan Slott, the question has been, "Which Nick Spencer will we get? The 'Superior Foes of Spider-Man' Nick Spencer, or the 'Secret Empire' Nick Spencer?" Well, after reading Amazing Spider-Man #1, it's definitely not "'Secret Empire' Nick Spencer". In fact, I think it's safe to say I am one very happy Spidey fan!

Stillanerd Reviews: Amazing Spider-Man (2018) #1 review

Wow, what a first issue!

Marvel kept this story close to the chest…no spoilers (I’m looking at you DC) and as a result an awesome twist that no one saw coming and even better, was a pleasant surprise.

Let’s get started…

The whole idea that Peter knows his roommate is Boomerang is something I was not expecting however despite this being something of a been there done that dynamic it also proves something right away—it shows us that Peter is not an idiot. Peter is keeping Boomerang around and unaware to probably bust him later or keep tabs on him…Peter is smart and this shows us that…something Slott continually failed to do.

I’m digging the Kingpin’s plan for trying to dismantle Spider-Man. It’s giving us an actual reason why Spidey is having difficulty with other heroes. I’m sure we’ll get to see more of this in future issues.

I really enjoyed the humor. Mysterio’s monologue, “my sexy chair”, etc. all great lol stuff.

But even with the humor the tonal shifts in the book were handled so well, I never lost sight of what was happening to Peter—I felt for him, I sympathized with his struggles. The book not only starts to tear down all the crap we’ve been enduring with Slott but it does so with given explanations and takes what happened previously to build on the narrative. Finally bringing to light Peter’s false doctorate was such a great move and way overdue. Spencer takes a smart step here by not just bringing it up and then quickly discarding it, instead he takes something away and then gives something back. Peter’s world comes crashing down and here we get a throwback to some good ol’ Spidey storytelling—Peter’s double life is the thing that is messing up his every day life…he can’t tell the people closest to him what’s been happening. And at the same time Peter knows what he did was wrong. Peter should have dealt with this issue a long time ago, he had chances to do so, and now he’s going to pay for it. What I really love is Aunt May brings back Peter’s origins in a very unforced way. Such a great moment.

The ending was easily my favorite part. Peter is acknowledging what MJ means to him and how much of an important person she is in his life—gives him the strength to move forward and fight against adversity. It’s reminiscent of JMS’ run and more specifically the story “Doomed Affairs.” Again, we’re finally able to see Peter be emotional in a vulnerable way and then be rewarded. There’s still a chance OMD can be undone but even if it isn’t, now, finally, after 10 friggin years we’re getting what many of us have been waiting for…MJ is acting how she should and I hope that in the next few issues we get to see this same story but from MJ’s perspective just like in that JMS story.

In thinking about this first issue under Spencer it is really similar to the Fall of Parker issue. We have Peter lose his job, is under public scrutiny, his family and friends turn against him and even the scene with Robbie and also the end with kissing a love interest are almost exact but…Spencer did it right—this is what Fall of Parker SHOULD have been. Fall of Parker just outright drags Peter thru the mud and belittles him and mocks him. Here with Spencer we’re made to feel sympathetic for Peter—he’s got troubles but the story constantly reminds us that Peter is a good guy. In Fall of Parker his family and friends talk down to him but this one had them instead express their concern for Peter and also being upset knowing that he let himself be so irresponsible. The big difference is that all the interactions felt so human, there was real emotion, actual character moments instead of plot point A moving to plot point B. Robbie even goes so far as to state that he’s sorry for having to fire Peter and knows deep down that Peter is a good person. And in the end, Peter ends up kissing a love however in this issue he’s rewarded for doing the right thing—he actually gets a win. This is how it’s done! Gone is the emotional 15-year old crap from Slott and his hack fan-fic writing style, now we have Peter being a mature adult, accepting his wrongdoings but still looks to try and do the right thing. Harkening back to the Ditko days we have Peter basically being tortured but in the end he’s still able to score a small win.

I loved the bit about Peter basically demoting Otto to “runner up” status which IMO is not taking jabs at Ock but rather putting an end to the saint slOtto garbage of the past 8 years.

And also loved the bit where Peter states he already knew the info in Otto’s doctorate work and even came up with something that was better than what Otto was working on, then in awesome fashion Peter ends up using his ‘better science’ to figure out a solution to the alien invasion.

Not last at all but definitely the topper on such a great issue was Ottley’s artwork.

I’d have to say this was easily the best Spider-Man comic in the past 10 years. I not only enjoyed everything here but I’m actually finding myself excited about what is to come. Spencer is winning me over…I know we’re only one issue into this new direction but it’s still so excellent. Spencer is systematically starting to wipe out what Slott has been doing, how he’s been dragging Peter and Spider-Man down. Spencer seems to be trying to win over the crowd whereas Slott only ever really cared about trying to justify his own ego and his work reflected that.

#802 gets an A.

I hate I won't get this issue until next week sometime!! Everything I've read about it from like-minded people (and even opposite-minded people) seems to scream that this is the Spider-man book for me! I still love RYV, though, and I'm with it until the bitter(sweet) end.

Also, anyone hating on Ottley's artwork can just shut up. Just...no. I've watched him draw Spider-man and Venom pics for over a decade and thought, "WHY ISN'T THIS GUY DRAWING SPIDEY!?"

Well, now he is. Good to see Spencer is killing it. If he can keep everything tempered a bit, I think this could be the Spidey run we've been waiting for.

Still, it's only the first issue, so we'll see! I don't mean that to sound pessimistic, as I'm the exact opposite, right now!

Ever since Nick Spencer was announced he'd be taking over from Dan Slott, the question has been, "Which Nick Spencer will we get? The 'Superior Foes of Spider-Man' Nick Spencer, or the 'Secret Empire' Nick Spencer?" Well, after reading Amazing Spider-Man #1, it's definitely not "'Secret Empire' Nick Spencer". In fact, I think it's safe to say I am one very happy Spidey fan!

Nice :up:

I assume the crawlspace is doing a podcast on this issue?

I think this is worth posting...

https://www.instagram.com/p/BlHiWeoHH8G/

nickspencerI don’t even know how to respond to all the incredible messages of enthusiasm and support I’ve gotten today. What an unreal feeling. Thank you so much for giving our book a shot. This is a lifelong dream realized for both me and @ryanottley, getting to tell the adventures of our favorite superhero... The Amazing Spider-Man! And I promise you, We’re going to do everything in our power to keep you entertained and excited moving forward. A special thank you to all my creative partners on the book, from Ryan to Cliff Rathburn @lauramartinart @joecaramagna as well as our editors @hellyeahnicklowe and Kathleen Wisneski. And really everyone at @marvel: @cbcebulski, @joeydaq David Gabriel and his terrific team, @_andreatowers... too many to name, really— you have no idea how many people work hard to bring you these books. Huge thanks to all the retailers who supported us in spectacular fashion, especially those that hosted launch parties around the country last night. And most of all, thank you to all of you, everyone who bought the book today. It means the world to us that you’re coming along on this ride. Here’s to many great stories to come! Thank you for making our dreams come true.

Looks like Spencer is getting much praise for his first issue.

Great review! I'm beyond happy with this first issue. I hope this will become a trend...it's been so long since I've found myself feeling both excited and hopeful for what's to come.

I hate I won't get this issue until next week sometime!! Everything I've read about it from like-minded people (and even opposite-minded people) seems to scream that this is the Spider-man book for me! I still love RYV, though, and I'm with it until the bitter(sweet) end.

Also, anyone hating on Ottley's artwork can just shut up. Just...no. I've watched him draw Spider-man and Venom pics for over a decade and thought, "WHY ISN'T THIS GUY DRAWING SPIDEY!?"

Well, now he is. Good to see Spencer is killing it. If he can keep everything tempered a bit, I think this could be the Spidey run we've been waiting for.

Still, it's only the first issue, so we'll see! I don't mean that to sound pessimistic, as I'm the exact opposite, right now!

I hope my post didn't spoil you! I suppose I should have tagged it :csad:

Ottley is wonderful. I'm so glad he's starting us off in what should be a great run.

Just based on what I've seen from your post history, you are going to love this first book.

Is it me, or does it seem like:
1- Peter has no secret identity anymore
1- most of the heroes and heroines don't like Spidey anymore

I took that as the other heroes were being hounded by Mayor Kingpin's new policies while Spidey was being praised by him. Naturally there will be a little resentment.

As for my views on the issue:
Peter and MJ dating for a while instead of being married will be a great compromise and I am just happy to have them back together.

Peter being roommates with Boomerang is a nice twist.

I did like that Pete was working for the Bugle again, him being fired, not so much.

The Lizard (with Doc Connors' mind) as someone on Peter's side and his new professor is an interesting twist.

Why do current writers not care about continuity?

MJ was a B*tch to Pete the last time they were "together"
Pete's doctorate wasbalready cleared of wrong doing. Even though that wasbaddressed it' was brushed aside

Black cat not mad at pete
Where are billy and Martha?
Mysterious was just innvegas

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Francuz231
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"