Comics Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man (New Series 2019)

shinlyle

King of the Haters
Reaction score
Okay, I figured I would go ahead and start a thread for this upcoming series.

I hate that we lost Spectacular, but here is another familiar title. I hate to be negative, but they just announced that they already had to change artist for the first issue! What is up with that?! Marvel cannot keep artists on schedule lately! So many books getting pushed out and outright cancelled...why?

That being said, Congrats to artist Marcelo Ferreira on the gig! Very cool to get to do a Spider-man first issue! I'm hoping this book stays around for awhile. Honestly, I just wish they would get back on the 3 or 4 issues monthly train. Give Ramos his own Spider-Man title with a writer, give Spencer/Ottley Amazing, and then this new title.

Yes, as I have established, I miss the 90s selection of Spider-books.

Also, Marvel, I am totally available for any fill-in issues you may need in the future. Just sayin'.
(points to avatar with artwork in it)

Lol nice shameless self promotion there.

Yes! I would love 3-4 issues monthly for Spidey. I'm looking forward to this because it doesn't sound stupid lol AND the new LIFE STORY series. I just looked it up now but what's the idea of this one, really? Just more smaller-scale, cute stories about Spidey and his relationship with his neighborhood but more in-depth?

Lol nice shameless self promotion there.

Yes! I would love 3-4 issues monthly for Spidey. I'm looking forward to this because it doesn't sound stupid lol AND the new LIFE STORY series. I just looked it up now but what's the idea of this one, really? Just more smaller-scale, cute stories about Spidey and his relationship with his neighborhood but more in-depth?

Thanks. May as well promote myself!

I'm hoping for more small scale Spider-Man stories. That would be nice. I remember Paul Jenkins's run on Peter Parker: Spider-Man and Spectacular back in the day, fun stuff before they started shoving tie-in comics and the like in their. Then it all went downhill. Honestly, as for promoting myself, one thing I don't understand: What is up with all these artists incapable of keeping up with a monthly schedule?! Every other comic has to be pushed out or reassigned and there is NO consistency from one artist to the next. It's almost heart-breaking. I would love to have an issue of Spidey thrown my way, as would some of my friends, yet I keep seeing such unreliable artists getting work, failing, and then getting more work. The industry in general needs some new blood and an overhaul. Honestly. Look at Bagley! He's not my face artist, but you know he will turn in a monthly book, it'll be consistent, and it'll look good. Shoot, he did it in Ultimate Spider-Man for a record number of issues!

Ahem.

And yes, I also look forward to "Life Story". Also, Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse is the best film this year. Period.

Read issue 1 this morning.

Really good start to this series. At the core of this issue is just Spidey going around the neighborhood and helping people. Written by Tom Taylor and although only one book in, he's got the same notion of Spider-Man that both Zdarsky and Spencer have--it's that Peter is a good person. A good person that is about doing the right thing...responsibility. It's such a small detail when you think about it but it does wonders for the character when the writer understands this core concept. That's something the previous writer, Slott, failed to do and it's refreshing to see not one but three writers come along that get it. I'm in on this series and look forward to the next issue--I now have 2 Spidey books to look forward to and enjoy, whereas a year ago I didn't have one. Good times. It's too bad Zdarsky isn't on Spectacular anymore. I wasn't crazy over the art but it was enjoyable. Oh and I almost forgot, there's a great follow up story with Peter and MJ. And wouldn't you know, it has some actual romance. Who'd have thought you could put that into a Spidey comic and still have a good story. Crazy.

Friendly Neighborhood gets a solid A- with a high recommendation from your Friendly UltimateWebhead :)

Read issue 1 this morning.

Really good start to this series. At the core of this issue is just Spidey going around the neighborhood and helping people. Written by Tom Taylor and although only one book in, he's got the same notion of Spider-Man that both Zdarsky and Spencer have--it's that Peter is a good person. A good person that is about doing the right thing...responsibility. It's such a small detail when you think about it but it does wonders for the character when the writer understands this core concept. That's something the previous writer, Slott, failed to do and it's refreshing to see not one but three writers come along that get it. I'm in on this series and look forward to the next issue--I now have 2 Spidey books to look forward to and enjoy, whereas a year ago I didn't have one. Good times. It's too bad Zdarsky isn't on Spectacular anymore. I wasn't crazy over the art but it was enjoyable. Oh and I almost forgot, there's a great follow up story with Peter and MJ. And wouldn't you know, it has some actual romance. Who'd have thought you could put that into a Spidey comic and still have a good story. Crazy.

Friendly Neighborhood gets a solid A- with a high recommendation from your Friendly UltimateWebhead :)
Awesome, awesome. I picked it up but knocked out early last night. Love the cover and the variant with the heart on his fingers.
Loved everything you said in bold – Spencer displayed that with his farewell issue, and that’s something the game gets right as well. You’re right – it’s a small detail but it’s his core and when showcased/exploited, makes a great Spidey story. And I think that’s when I love his stories the most, is amidst the extraordinary, it’s about an imperfect kid trying to do right. Can’t wait to delve into the issue tonight.

I have a feeling you're gonna like it Nicko. Interested to read your thoughts.

Read it last night..will say it was close to bedtime though.

I liked it! I don't think I was blown AWAY by it. It IS a bit more niche in terms of what they're tackling here -- the more Peter-y, internal happenings of his neighborhood. His local, for lack of a better term. They even say/promise at the end of the issue WHY this series needs to exist/how it sets itself apart from AMAZING, SPECTACULAR, etc. I think if it didn't end on that beat that it did --
Aunt May trying to hide from Peter that she might have cancer
-- the issue would have been a bit on the mediocre side. But if the point of this series is gonna delve more into Peter-y stuff like THAT, I'd LOVE that. But I'm with UWH, this is a series I'm definitely adding to the Spidey reads for the month. Also, the art is GREAT and fits perfectly.

Yeah, I'd say the story itself is mediocre but not in a bad way...there's nothing wrong with the beginning of this story. But it's the character work where this issue shines.

Anyone else thinking there might be something working here with Aunt May that could lead to an unravel of OMD?

Yeah, I'd say the story itself is mediocre but not in a bad way...there's nothing wrong with the beginning of this story. But it's the character work where this issue shines.

Anyone else thinking there might be something working here with Aunt May that could lead to an unravel of OMD?
Mm great way of putting it. I’m actually gonna read it again!

Ooooh. We shall see.

Thanks. May as well promote myself!

I'm hoping for more small scale Spider-Man stories. That would be nice. I remember Paul Jenkins's run on Peter Parker: Spider-Man and Spectacular back in the day, fun stuff before they started shoving tie-in comics and the like in their. Then it all went downhill. Honestly, as for promoting myself, one thing I don't understand: What is up with all these artists incapable of keeping up with a monthly schedule?! Every other comic has to be pushed out or reassigned and there is NO consistency from one artist to the next. It's almost heart-breaking. I would love to have an issue of Spidey thrown my way, as would some of my friends, yet I keep seeing such unreliable artists getting work, failing, and then getting more work. The industry in general needs some new blood and an overhaul. Honestly. Look at Bagley! He's not my face artist, but you know he will turn in a monthly book, it'll be consistent, and it'll look good. Shoot, he did it in Ultimate Spider-Man for a record number of issues!

Ahem.

And yes, I also look forward to "Life Story". Also, Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse is the best film this year. Period.

Aloha,
Great first issue for friendly. Not fantastic but great set up for future issues. I've been away form the boards during the holidays. I did say on FAcebook in November that Into the Spider-Verse was going to win all kinds of awards. It most certainly did.

Spidey rules

Aloha,
Great first issue for friendly. Not fantastic but great set up for future issues. I've been away form the boards during the holidays. I did say on FAcebook in November that Into the Spider-Verse was going to win all kinds of awards. It most certainly did.

Spidey rules

It just needs to win ONE MORE....
"Academy Award-Winning film, 'Spider-man: Into the Spider-Verse' " has a nice ring to it....

Re-read this and enjoyed it better this time around. What’re your guys’ thoughts on those
alien kids
?

I don't know about the spoiler content...I'll have to read it again.

I don't know about the spoiler content...I'll have to read it again.
You know..
those two kids that the lady who he was supposed to help left for him in his laundry basket before she got kidnapped by the mob-ish goons

You know..
those two kids that the lady who he was supposed to help left for him in his laundry basket before she got kidnapped by the mob-ish goons

Oh yes, I do remember what you were referring to however I couldn't remember what I had been thinking as a possibility for who they are. I still need to reread the issue to try and remind myself. Might be able to later today.

I really need to pick this one up.

Yes, yes you do :)

Anyone pick this up this week? Went to the store and got it but I never seem to have time on work nights to read...

Same here bud. I have my copy with me here at work. I plan on reading it today at some point...just waiting till I get some free time.

UWH, you read #2?

Finally read it last night. I’m loving the art more and more. So fitting and soft for the “friendly neighborhood” vibe. There’s one good Peter moment and some nice comedy but the issue ends on a note that’s concerning.
I have no idea who’s The Rumor is, but I was under the impression that these were gonna be smaller/smaller stakes stories. Otherwise, this CAN just fall under AMAZING or SPECTACULAR.

UWH, you read #2?

Finally read it last night. I’m loving the art more and more. So fitting and soft for the “friendly neighborhood” vibe. There’s one good Peter moment and some nice comedy but the issue ends on a note that’s concerning.
I have no idea who’s The Rumor is, but I was under the impression that these were gonna be smaller/smaller stakes stories. Otherwise, this CAN just fall under AMAZING or SPECTACULAR.

I did read issue 2 and I enjoyed it. I too was under the impression this would be smaller in scale so I'm not sure what to expect. The art is good and I liked seeing Peter and Johnny together...good vibes and humor.

As for the spoiler you posted, I'm not sure either tbh. I'd like FN to remain as a nice companion series for ASM so we'll have to see where this goes.

I did read issue 2 and I enjoyed it. I too was under the impression this would be smaller in scale so I'm not sure what to expect. The art is good and I liked seeing Peter and Johnny together...good vibes and humor.

As for the spoiler you posted, I'm not sure either tbh. I'd like FN to remain as a nice companion series for ASM so we'll have to see where this goes.
Ha, yup. I think you and I are on the same page about this all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"