Comics Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man (New Series 2019)

Not really digging this issue, and it's starting to sour me on the entire story.

Also, major problem with something.
Peter's Spider-Sense should have warned him about the camera. I'll not say more about it, until you all read it.

Not really digging this issue, and it's starting to sour me on the entire story.

Also, major problem with something.
Peter's Spider-Sense should have warned him about the camera. I'll not say more about it, until you all read it.

Well, I'll pick it up this weekend, God willing.

Issue 3...

I'm enjoying the writing and the art but I gotta say this title doesn't have the grounded take I thought this was going to be utilizing. I mean, the very first arc involves a race of people living in what is essentially an upside down world that's replicated NYC.

Yeah, I'm not sure what to say about the camera unless maybe it was far enough away that it might not trigger the Spidey sense.

Issue 3...

I'm enjoying the writing and the art but I gotta say this title doesn't have the grounded take I thought this was going to be utilizing. I mean, the very first arc involves a race of people living in what is essentially an upside down world that's replicated NYC.

Yeah, I'm not sure what to say about the camera unless maybe it was far enough away that it might not trigger the Spidey sense.
Interesting...

Gonna delve into it this weekend. Not good to hear, though.

Yeah, that's my thing too. Friendly Neighbourhood implies a tight cast, a tight location, not other "worlds," not all over the place.
I just want down to earth, small time, good stories!

Yeah, that's my thing too. Friendly Neighbourhood implies a tight cast, a tight location, not other "worlds," not all over the place.
I just want down to earth, small time, good stories!

This.

I'm not hating on the writing, cause it's been pretty good, but yeah...I'm hoping the next arc will be more grounded. I'd like to see some very intimate type stories that focus on simplicity--build strong character moments without the magical bananas.

Just read this on Saturday, finally.

Agreed with you guys. I just don’t get it. In the press release or even in the back column of #1, they were spewing about how this title existed solely for more smaller stories. They might’ve not said that word-for-word, but the takeaway being that this title existed with the others SO it can contrast from the more extraordinary storylines.

An upside down/parallel been York with orange-colored humans is NOT small-time. Not like what they were persuading us with.

And I agree we with UWH — this issue had a nice flow to it. And the intrigue was spot-on, the action. So it’s a solid issue only with the fact that it’s not living up to its “Friendly Neighborhood” name. Seems like a complete false advertising to me. Shrug

This.

I'm not hating on the writing, cause it's been pretty good, but yeah...I'm hoping the next arc will be more grounded. I'd like to see some very intimate type stories that focus on simplicity--build strong character moments without the magical bananas.
Yep. It's REALLY good, but I was just expecting more street level, "MJ and I have a date, I only have 20 bucks, but here's a homeless kid in trouble so let me save him and get him some food and a place to stay" kind of Spider-man story.

Just sayin'.

Yep. It's REALLY good, but I was just expecting more street level, "MJ and I have a date, I only have 20 bucks, but here's a homeless kid in trouble so let me save him and get him some food and a place to stay" kind of Spider-man story.

Just sayin'.

That's pretty much what I was expecting or like Ben said, they could even leave Peter out of some stories and just focus on character building with the supporting cast. But...I'm gonna at least let this first arc pass and we'll see what comes next before I begin to harp on this point. Though this for sure isn't the beginning I was expecting lol.

That's pretty much what I was expecting or like Ben said, they could even leave Peter out of some stories and just focus on character building with the supporting cast. But...I'm gonna at least let this first arc pass and we'll see what comes next before I begin to harp on this point. Though this for sure isn't the beginning I was expecting lol.

I do like that not going to the comic shop for a month doesn't mean that I've missed 6 issues, like with Amazing Spider-Man. I'd much rather them just have 4 monthly titles, give us a Spidey book a week, while concurrently telling 4 good stories. Is that too much to ask...?
Probably, now that I think about it. 4 good writers, 4 good artists, and a regular schedule...seems impossible nowadays for one character.

Preview for issue #4

744301._SX1280_QL80_TTD_.jpg

FRNDSM.jpeg

FRNDSM-2.jpeg

FRNDSM-3.jpeg

FRNDSM-4.jpeg

Issue 4...

Just when I thought I might drop this title, it drags me in.

The writing was really good. The character work is on point. The conclusion to this first arc does a couple of surprising things one of which actually brings in the neighborhood part of the title, quite literally. And the epilogue or I guess what you'd call the final pages of this issue and the start of the next arc is the main reason I'm back in this for the next issue. It revolves around May and her health concerns.

Yeah, I was a bit turned off by the other worldly stuff that happened in the first arc cause it kinda goes against the street level experience I was expecting or hoping for however the underlying character stuff is what ends making this pretty good. It's worth checking out and I'm looking forward to the next arc.

Maybe the other world idea was to start the series off with a bang and maybe now it's gonna change up the focus. Either way this was a solid issue. And the art was good...nothing ground breaking but enjoyable.

Issue 4...

Just when I thought I might drop this title, it drags me in.

The writing was really good. The character work is on point. The conclusion to this first arc does a couple of surprising things one of which actually brings in the neighborhood part of the title, quite literally. And the epilogue or I guess what you'd call the final pages of this issue and the start of the next arc is the main reason I'm back in this for the next issue. It revolves around May and her health concerns.

Yeah, I was a bit turned off by the other worldly stuff that happened in the first arc cause it kinda goes against the street level experience I was expecting or hoping for however the underlying character stuff is what ends making this pretty good. It's worth checking out and I'm looking forward to the next arc.

Maybe the other world idea was to start the series off with a bang and maybe now it's gonna change up the focus. Either way this was a solid issue. And the art was good...nothing ground breaking but enjoyable.
Ugh, dude. You and I have basically the same taste lol. And I thought of you last night when those more human, character-y beats came.

This has been a good week in Spidey comics. I haven't read LIFE STORY yet...but will.

I really dug this issue. The arc was almost similar to Spencer's nice style of "bow-tying" where the middle of the arc, it MIGHT be off-putting with Under York and those things, but this last issue really brings it back home. The orange kids and her mother, the fact that NY wants to help said people AND Spider-Man. The fact that Spidey remembers and can list the homeless, etc. It really came back full circle in a smart and character-driven way and I loved that. He utilized the more extraordinary stuff to the series' advantage. I'm on board :up:

Not to mention the new cop friend he made and how it was convenient (in a good way) to have her help out when the time called for it. Again, ties to the "Friendly Neighborhood" theme.

Also, I absolutely LOVED the art in this. Not sure I would say groundbreaking but it's some of the best art I've seen in an issue in a looong time. Was very filmic and smart with his shots. Gentle when he needed to be (the prologue with Ben and May). And I really enjoyed that splash page.

Ugh, dude. You and I have basically the same taste lol. And I thought of you last night when those more human, character-y beats came.

This has been a good week in Spidey comics. I haven't read LIFE STORY yet...but will.

I really dug this issue. The arc was almost similar to Spencer's nice style of "bow-tying" where the middle of the arc, it MIGHT be off-putting with Under York and those things, but this last issue really brings it back home. The orange kids and her mother, the fact that NY wants to help said people AND Spider-Man. The fact that Spidey remembers and can list the homeless, etc. It really came back full circle in a smart and character-driven way and I loved that. He utilized the more extraordinary stuff to the series' advantage. I'm on board :up:

Not to mention the new cop friend he made and how it was convenient (in a good way) to have her help out when the time called for it. Again, ties to the "Friendly Neighborhood" theme.

Also, I absolutely LOVED the art in this. Not sure I would say groundbreaking but it's some of the best art I've seen in an issue in a looong time. Was very filmic and smart with his shots. Gentle when he needed to be (the prologue with Ben and May). And I really enjoyed that splash page.

You having the same taste as me only confirms that you have GOOD taste ;)

As much as I really enjoyed how this story ended, I really hope the focus becomes more intimate. But yes, the actual 'neighborhood' touches in this last issue were indeed excellent.

I enjoyed the art for sure. Clean lines, nice movement and view points. But if you liked the art in this, wait until you see Bagley's mastery in Life Story.

Well, I finally read issue 4. This is the book. I think I'm liking it even better than Amazing, right now.

*ducks thrown objects*

There's no Ramos, the story is good, there's no Ramos, Peter is written in character, there's no Ramos, the stories aren't about "THE NEXT BIG THING", and lastly...there was one other thing.
No Ramos.

Well, I finally read issue 4. This is the book. I think I'm liking it even better than Amazing, right now.

*ducks thrown objects*

There's no Ramos, the story is good, there's no Ramos, Peter is written in character, there's no Ramos, the stories aren't about "THE NEXT BIG THING", and lastly...there was one other thing.
No Ramos.

Lol.

You make a convincing argument. I have no retort.

*ducks thrown objects*

No Ramos.
Lmaoo

There's a LOT this week! ASM #19, FNSM #5, and SYM #1! Will get into it this weekend..

Spidey was written oddly this week.
Seemed like a cross between Bendis/Avengers Spidey and Slott/Spidey.
But the Peter scenes, he was written like an adult!

Issue 5.

Really enjoyed this. The art is good and the story definitely had more of a neighborhood type vibe. I loved the Strange comment about making deals with devils. This is a good satellite title for sure. According to the letters section we should expect to see Doc Ock along with MJ in the upcoming issues.

Reading your guys' general reactions to this week's and last week's titles. Looks like an overall meh. Haven't even delved into them yet but will....

Just read the newest issue of FNSM. Very good, very Peter Parker, and I really enjoyed it. A nice follow up with what is going on with Aunt May and how Peter copes with it. Also, this issue has a much more "Friendly Neighborhood" vibe.

Reading your guys' general reactions to this week's and last week's titles. Looks like an overall meh. Haven't even delved into them yet but will....

I wouldn't say meh. FNSM was pretty darn good. ASM last week was good but not great. I think that has a lot to do with how awesome the Gibbon issue was...as the immediate follow up to that it pales in comparison. Not horrible by any means at all. And Symbiote Spider-Man is good too--I think it's my fault for not liking it as much as I should. I let my expectations get the better of me. Peter and Felicia were written really well in that one...I'm gonna reread it and see if there's a change.

I haven't got to this week's yet and I won't until tomorrow unfortunately. Life Story #2 looks to be a hit and ASM 19.HU looks awful with that wretched art but I'm willing to bet the story itself will be good. The HU issues have set the bar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"