My Mom Made It For Me: The Superman Suit Thread

Now that the initial shock has passed, I have to say that the suit is slowly but surely growing on me.

Would I have preferred the classic spandex? Without a doubt.

But it's clear that the first look is lacking a lot of context, and I need to see it before passing a final judgment.

God the endless amount of things that could be listed that people thought would suck and ended up being loved is... Well endless.

Barbie was a horrible idea..oh wait
Joker is a bad idea...oh wait
Ehhhhhhhhh.....

You're absolutely right about Keaton and Ledger though, and I was able to re-convince myself about Pattinson. But I personally think it's a bit more nuanced than that.

I’ve always believed that Superman was held to a certain standard. For years, Superman fans have been mostly very particular about what they want as far as Superman’s suit is concerned. This new suit is pretty far from what a majority have claimed they wanted, yet many seem to be more optimistic than I expected. I’m not sure if it’s just the excitement for a new Superman film or otherwise.

Had this suit been revealed 10-15 years ago, there would have been absolute outrage. However, at least from what I’ve observed over the past few years, I’ve noticed some fans become more open to very different and even controversial concepts. It’s interesting to me to see whats accepted and what isn’t among those that love Superman.

I've heard the theory that this isn't the "final suit" so maybe we're not meant to "love it" and it's more of a misdirect to lower expectations for people to real like the "final Suit" better... but, still

The pose pretty much makes people straddle the fence. It's an odd choice for a first reveal image.
It is an odd pose; I think it's because they don't want people to see the trunks yet. That's going to be another round of critiques.

We really need to see the full thing in a standing pose with better lighting. But another official photos may be months away.

I’ve always believed that Superman was held to a certain standard. For years, Superman fans have been mostly very particular about what they want as far as Superman’s suit is concerned. This new suit is pretty far from what a majority have claimed they wanted, yet many seem to be more optimistic than I expected. I’m not sure if it’s just the excitement for a new Superman film or otherwise.

Had this suit been revealed 10-15 years ago, there would have been absolute outrage. However, at least from what I’ve observed over the past few years, I’ve noticed some fans become more open to very different and even controversial concepts. It’s interesting to me to see whats accepted and what isn’t among those that love Superman.
You have to realize that 20 years ago, Superman hadn’t been on film in 30 years.

These days, I’m much more open to different interpretations for the costumes as long as they are fairly faithful, because the supply of comic-book movies is much higher than before.

tenor.gif

Were people wrong about Keaton?

Of course I wasn’t there for the Batmania, but I’ve seen a lot of people say that his Batman is the weak link of both of his movies.

but then went with the Kingdom Come S, a dour design for a dour Superman in mourning. Reinstating the yellow doesn't change that, it just now makes it look like a warning sign. It's charmless.

Majority of the audience just see a different type of Superman logo though. In a vacuum, idk where you're getting the charmless and warning sign aspects from. And doesn't the black represent the dour/mourning aspects?

Of course I wasn’t there for the Batmania, but I’ve seen a lot of people say that his Batman is the weak link of both of his movies.
DOeFB3v.gif

It's his Bruce Wayne people didn't seem to care for, except Batman Returns when he and Pfeiffer were on screen together.

73400570-f543-4cb1-8829-740638441c5b_text.gif

You have to realize that 20 years ago, Superman hadn’t been on film in 30 years.

These days, I’m much more open to different interpretations for the costumes as long as they are fairly faithful, because the supply of comic-book movies is much higher than before.

Where are you getting 20 years from? I said 10-15.

I've heard the theory that this isn't the "final suit" so maybe we're not meant to "love it" and it's more of a misdirect to lower expectations for people to real like the "final Suit" better... but, still

The whole "maybe it's not the final suit?" line of thinking is just one of the stages of grief for comic fans. They say this for every controversial suit unveiling.

Almost as bad, "Let's just wait to see it in motion". Dudes, there's not going to be a significant difference in motion. Unless it's that Superman will be moving so fast we can't pick up on the details of the suit. It might be better to say "Let's just wait until we see it on film", because that might change how it looks due to color correction.

The whole "maybe it's not the final suit?" line of thinking is just one of the stages of grief for comic fans. They say this for every controversial suit unveiling.

Almost as bad, "Let's just wait to see it in motion". Dudes, there's not going to be a significant difference in motion. Unless it's that Superman will be moving so fast we can't pick up on the details of the suit. It might be better to say "Let's just wait until we see it on film", because that might change how it looks due to color correction.
I think 'let's wait to see it in a better light' feels valid here, especially since the other image we have of the crest is so much lighter.

But I agree, the idea it's an early version of the suit always makes me chuckle. That's clearly it. That's what we are getting.

1715208588639.gif

View attachment 89616
Alex Ross posted this on instagram.

The reference is quite clear.
The small problem is that Gunn's photo looks like a still from a perfume commercial and the subtle irony of "I'm getting dressed to go to work overtime" and the world in danger in the background is honestly completely out of character for me.
Also, why is Clark Kent in some sort of penthouse?

An indifferent God who looks like a Bruce Wayne with superpowers... Remind anything to you?
And no... whether the suit has red pants or is dirty makes no difference.

Honestly, I don't see any big difference with Snyder's Superman (which I rather appreciated in MOS, then hated in the subsequent films, so don't take me as a fan: I'm not): the basic concept is the same, it's just modernized and applied to Gunn's aesthetic.
The costume itself does not take another direction: it is not the costume sewn by Ma Kent, it is an alien uniform, but... not very alien. There's a whole bunch of squiggles and unnecessary stuff (in addition to creases in the material, as many have already said). Months and months of research to create the costume, for... this?
The color palette is different but certainly not COMPLETELY different than Cavill's.
Plus the fact that Corenswet is almost a Cavill lookalike doesn't help.

I mean, it's not a bad costume and Corenswet seems adapt to the role, but honestly I don't see anything exciting or particularly inspired in this work.
Of course, it's definitely too early to say how it will be received by the public and whether or not it will be a success, but at first glance the fact that it is a "Gunnized" version of Snyder seems like a suicidal move to me. Snyder's fandom has all the reasons to be pissed off.
I don't see a personal, revolutionary and radically different "vision" of the character.

I hope Reeves' Batman (definitely inspired, personal, albeit comically accurate) isn't in mothballs or in trouble for... this.
It would be yet another demonstration of Warner Bros.' myopia.
Letting that man gut out. 😲

God the endless amount of things that could be listed that people thought would suck and ended up being loved is... Well endless.

Barbie was a horrible idea..oh wait
Joker is a bad idea...oh wait
Heath Ledger as Joker...oh wait
Nicholas Cage being able to make a great come back.... Mhmm he did.

The general folks are boring and can't see further than their eyelashes.

It might fail but shiz just give things a chance.

I remember being so upset about the Heath Ledger casting, seeing the first reveal, and couldn't belive it. After watching TDK, I decided I would try my best not to judge things before seeing the final product.

Where are you getting 20 years from? I said 10-15.
I know what you said. I was just saying that times are changing as we get more and more adaptations. I think it makes sense for the fan base to be more forgiving than it was 10-15 years ago.

I know what you said. I was just saying that times are changing as we get more and more adaptations. I think it makes sense for the fan base to be more forgiving than it was 10-15 years ago.

Then you missed the point of my post, but it’s all good.

I don’t think I’ve heard anyone say that. Keaton being incredible seems to be a near universal opinion now, the talking point was never that he was the weak link it’s that he wasn’t focused on enough because Burton was more into the villains.

Then you missed the point of my post, but it’s all good.

You wrote, “Had this suit been revealed 10-15 years ago, there would have been absolute outrage. However, at least from what I’ve observed over the past few years, I’ve noticed some fans become more open to very different and even controversial concepts. It’s interesting to me to see whats accepted and what isn’t among those that love Superman.”

I offered an explanation for why people are more tolerant these days. What did I miss?

People say that for everything every time a director debuts their own spin on a character's classic duds that don't meet their own standards.

You wrote, “Had this suit been revealed 10-15 years ago, there would have been absolute outrage. However, at least from what I’ve observed over the past few years, I’ve noticed some fans become more open to very different and even controversial concepts. It’s interesting to me to see whats accepted and what isn’t among those that love Superman.”

I offered an explanation for why people are more tolerant these days. What did I miss?

I wasn’t looking for an explanation. I had already observed that people are more open different concepts these days. The point was that 10-15 years ago, people weren’t that open. Around that time, had the photo of this new suit been revealed as the first look of Superman, there would have been a massive backlash.

I wasn’t looking for an explanation. I had already observed that people are more open different concepts these days. The point was that 10-15 years ago, people weren’t that open. Around that time, had the photo of this new suit been revealed as the first look of Superman, there would have been a massive backlash.
I haven’t seen any evidence of that being the case. People seem just as judgmental now as ever to me - in fact, I’d say social media has made fandom worse in that regard, not more open-minded.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"