Comics The Amazing Spider-Man w/ new Rotation Writers November 2021

Ben_Reilly

Civilian
Reaction score
The announcement of the writing team taking over for Nick Spencer on Amazing Spider-Man continues to hint at Ben Reilly's return being linked to Peter Parker's death.

Kelly Thompson, Saladin Ahmed, Cody Ziglar, Patrick Gleason and Zeb Wells are the new writers on Amazing Spider-Man #75 in October, with the group of artists joining them to be announced at a later date. Amazing Spider-Man will also become a thrice-monthly title as Ben Reilly brings with the Beyond Corporation with him.

The whole point of working on Spider-Man is trying to put new unliftable weights on top of him—physical, metaphysical, emotional, psychological—and seeing if he can lift them. But what if that weight truly is too heavy? What if someone with the exact same skills and formative years could do better? Ben Reilly is back and, with Aunt May and Uncle Ben's lessons in the back of HIS mind as well, he's here to step in where Peter Parker failed. Can he accomplish things the original Spider-Man never could? These questions are what sold me on this story," editor Nick Lowe said about this new era of Amazing Spider-Man.

"When Zeb Wells started building this story it became apparent that it needed a narrative velocity and a team of the best of the best to make it happen. So we gathered some of the greatest writers and artists in comics to join us and the story got even better and bigger and more surprising," Lowe added.

Zeb has proven through Amazing Spider-Man 'Shed,' Spider-Man/Doc Ock: Year One, and Hellions that he will bring the balance of hilarity and emotional devastation. Kelly Thompson's work on Captain Marvel and Black Widow shows her to be the best mind for character work along with a fearless creativity that will keep you guessing. Saladin Ahmed is the rare writer who walks the tightrope of a book like his Eisner-Winning Black Bolt to his smash hit 'Clone Saga' arc of Miles Morales: Spider-Man and his contributions shook us all. Fans from his time at the Distinguished Competition know Patrick Gleason isn't only an artistic visionary (as proven recently from his Webhead covers) but also a highly-skilled writer whose Marvel debut is going to be the shot heard round the comics world. Cody Ziglar is a new name in comics, but the work he did for the upcoming Disney+ She-Hulk show and Rick and Morty showed us at Marvel that he is part of the next generation of Marvel superstar writers and he has not disappointed here."

Marvel released a series of Spider-Man teasers from Zeb Wells, Kelly Thompson, Saladin Ahmed, Cody Ziglar, and Patrick Gleason that highlighted Ben Reilly, Peter Parker and the Beyond Corporation.

The Writers:
Kelly Thompson - Captain Marvel, Black Widow
Saladin Ahmed - Kid Arachnid
Cody Ziglar
Patrick Gleason
Zeb Wells

The Artists:
Interior:
Patrick Gleason
Sara Pichelli
Michael Dowling

Cover Art:
Art Adams.
Please, please, please, please keep Ramos away!

The Inkers:
To be announced

This post will be updated with the creative teams as they are revealed.

Last edited:
The Players:
Ben Reilly - Scarlet Spider, Peter's Clone and Brother

Beyond Corporation - No clue

This post will be updated with all the key characters that will appear.

Issues:
The Amazing Spider-Man #075 / #876
The numbering is remaining from Spencer's run.
We'll be getting issues THREE times a month in the run up to #900!
We only have 8 months until we get to issue #900!
This post will be updated with every issue number and issue title.

I wonder how Jameson is going to deal with Ben!
I hope Jessica and Janine and Desiree' come back.
I hope Kaine comes back.

I just want one damn issue with the three Parker Brothers!
I want Ben to finally sit down with Aunt May!

Ben better NOT die at the end of this!

I can't believe (actually, I can) the early backlash this is getting already.
We know going in that it's only going to last less than a year and people are still going nuts about Ben taking over.
It's different this time!
One, he isn't being touted as the real Peter Parker this time.
And a lot of people are complaining about him being White and that it isn't Miles.
And then there's a whole other sub-set where a lot don't even have a clue as to who Ben is! :'(

I'm indifferent when it comes to Ben. I'm not in the love or the hate camp...I've enjoyed stories featuring him and some I haven't. So, while this news doesn't really get me excited I'm also willing to give it a shot. I'm just want good stories and good art. If that's the outcome, I'm sure I will enjoy it.

That said, I'm concerned about what this will mean for Peter. I don't think he will be killed off. But what reason prompts Ben to come in? I'm guessing Peter has his limits tested and comes to a point where he needs a break. Maybe him and MJ decide to take off for awhile. Maybe the realization of what happened with OMD causes some issues where he can't or won't continue as Spider-Man. Maybe Peter, after all this, decides to relinquish the mantle and hand it off to Ben because he doesn't want to keep hurting the people he loves. Or maybe it isn't a choice and he flat out loses to Kindred or whomever and Ben has to step in. Either way, I'm just hoping Peter gets some kind of a happy ending.

I'm thinking issue 900 will be big with regard to that in some way. A wedding perhaps?

As for Ben, they've already corrected the Clone conspiracy. And I don't believe they are gonna kill him off either.

I'm actually looking forward to Thompson on writing duties though...I like her so I'm at least excited to see what she brings to the table.

And lastly, for the haters...I can understand the complaints to a degree. I feel like although people are jumping the gun, they're really just wanting a happy ending for Peter and this gives the notion that he isn't getting one. But, we also don't know how Spencer's run will end so it kind of doesn't make sense to start making accusations. At least let his run end to see where Peter ends up before firing up the hate train. Also, I get the complaints about having multiple writers and how that makes this a similar situation to the past. We had multiple writers with The Clone Saga and then with BND. Both of which are low points in Spidey's history so I get when you start looking at this from that angle how it will generate criticism. All that said, I am seeing a bunch of unwarranted hate and to that I disagree.

Couldn't be more excited about it. The talent involved is insane, and we do'nt even know the artists.

It's gonna be fun watching the haters while complaining while this sells hotcakes.

well I haven't posted here in a long... long time, but thought I'd check in to see how our fans of Reilly thread was reacting

can't wait for this!!!

I honestly lost all eye sight for a few minutes because my eyes rolled SO FAR back into my head that they stayed that way. My wife talked me down, reminded me that it's just a comic book, and they finally returned to normal.

That being said, here's my opinion:

1) I HATE BEN REILLY....as Spider-Man. As Scarlet Spider, I like Kaine Better. However, I don't hate that character. He served a purpose for a time, but he's still a sore spot for me and a lot of Spidey readers who sat through YEARS of that Clone Saga BS. Not wanting to relive it.

2) I'm not a fan of half the creative team. I love Gleason and Wells, but the others...meh. Captain Marvel has been a crapshoot of a book for awhile, so pulling anyone who worked on it does nothing for me.

3) I'll give it an honest shot. REALLY! I am not close-minded about Spidey stuff. If the first three issues are solid, I'll stick around for the second 3 issues. Simple as that.

4) I WANT A MONTHLY PETER PARKER BOOK. That was a major flaw of the OG clone saga. Toss Peter aside, and give us Ben. If you like Ben, then cool, but for most of the people who are Peter Parker fans, this is just a relief to our wallets.

In closing, I'm in until I'm out, which, in all fairness, Slott had me "OUT" for awhile with Peter, and honestly, OMD and BND were far worse than anything the Clone Saga ever produced....

...except for Spider-Cide, who is the hottest plate of garbage ever served.

Ben and Peter are fundamentally the same.
Both have the same memories and experiences up until around 19 years old.
Ben's time on the road made him smarter and harder.
Pete let his life slip away instead of actually doing something with it.
I may hate Slott, but he did one thing right (kind of) with Pete and that was giving him a company to run.
That's the ultimate goal for Pete, utilize both aspects Science nerd and crime-fighter.
Ben did the same.
Fought and beat Venom where Pete couldn't for one.
He had a few gadgets and gizmos and upgrades to his web-shooters. Pete didn't do much other than make the webs slightly stronger. Hell, he didn't even make them non-conductive until after Ben was gone.

I can understand not wanting Ben as Spidey, but at least you know going in that it is only temporary.
Pete will be back in June 2022 for issue #900.

Also, I'd recommend waiting for at least issue seven to ten to come out before truly deciding. There are what, five writers? so let each get a second issue in to see how it is playing out.

I like the Clone saga, I like Ben (pre-resurrection). Marvel apparently has not learned anything.

I honestly lost all eye sight for a few minutes because my eyes rolled SO FAR back into my head that they stayed that way. My wife talked me down, reminded me that it's just a comic book, and they finally returned to normal.

That being said, here's my opinion:

1) I HATE BEN REILLY....as Spider-Man. As Scarlet Spider, I like Kaine Better. However, I don't hate that character. He served a purpose for a time, but he's still a sore spot for me and a lot of Spidey readers who sat through YEARS of that Clone Saga BS. Not wanting to relive it.

2) I'm not a fan of half the creative team. I love Gleason and Wells, but the others...meh. Captain Marvel has been a crapshoot of a book for awhile, so pulling anyone who worked on it does nothing for me.

3) I'll give it an honest shot. REALLY! I am not close-minded about Spidey stuff. If the first three issues are solid, I'll stick around for the second 3 issues. Simple as that.

4) I WANT A MONTHLY PETER PARKER BOOK. That was a major flaw of the OG clone saga. Toss Peter aside, and give us Ben. If you like Ben, then cool, but for most of the people who are Peter Parker fans, this is just a relief to our wallets.

In closing, I'm in until I'm out, which, in all fairness, Slott had me "OUT" for awhile with Peter, and honestly, OMD and BND were far worse than anything the Clone Saga ever produced....

...except for Spider-Cide, who is the hottest plate of garbage ever served.
:funny::funny::funny: hope your eyes are doing well, my friend XD. I pretty much agree with all this except for the Ben Reilly stuff because I don't know much about him nor have a connection with him. Regardless of this being the new status quo or not/it'll only last a year, etc, the idea that's in front of us still isn't compelling to me. That being said, like SUPERIOR SPIDER-MAN, I will give it 5-10 issues or so.

Here's a look at one of the covers for ASM 876/75.

asm2018076_cover-768x1200.jpg

So...I'm guessing Peter will end up taking a beating at the end of 875 and either be in a coma or outta commission for awhile and then he'll return for issue 900.

Here's a look at one of the covers for ASM 876/75.

View attachment 46969

So...I'm guessing Peter will end up taking a beating at the end of 875 and either be in a coma or outta commission for awhile and then he'll return for issue 900.
Yup. That's my guess, as well. Honestly, I'm just seeing this pattern, and it gets tiresome. However, if the ride is good, I'm in. If not, I'll save $15 or $16 a month for awhile, Either way, I'm fine.

I don't really get the strategy for selling a title multiple times a month ... the core title is of course the most popular, so selling it multiple times a month may dilute it but not too much, not more than it can withstand?

I don't really get the strategy for selling a title multiple times a month ... the core title is of course the most popular, so selling it multiple times a month may dilute it but not too much, not more than it can withstand?

Well, they did this same strategy when they started Brand New Day. For one thing, it ca help put distance between them and a horrible story. People who come along will see the book as been going on for 24 issues in this new direction, a total new story is going on, and not realize it's only been 8 months. It puts some literary distance on the table. They did it like crazy after One More Day.
Another thing is, Marvel (as they did with Brand New Day) can claim that the Amazing Spider-Man is still the best selling comic...with a little * beside the claim because, they are just movie 3 separate issues a month. Don't worry though, each issue will have at LEAST 3 to 4 variant covers to make sure people buy 4 copies to get them all.
Also, it's a solidarity stance for them to show they are all gung-ho on the new status quo. Notice how every other Spider-title gets cancelled since One More Day/Brand New Day? They ALL get the ax eventually because they aren't the "main book". I remember when McFarlane's Spider-Man outsold Amazing like clockwork. So, they rotate out creative teams on one book, as opposed to have 3 books going regularly. They introduce Spectacular or something again when the heat dies down...so they can do a legacy number and cancel it again.

Ahem.
End of rant.
I'm still hoping this direction works out well. So long as Spidey doesn't make a deal with the devil, it's already an improvement over the last time it happened.

So, who do you guess will be putting the beat-diwn on Pete?
Harry/Gabriel?
Harry?
Norman as Green Goblin again?

What if Peter, Harry and Norman team-up to beat on Gabriel?
Norman has to take on the Goblin evil again and turns on Pete?

Will Harry die again?

Is Peter's identity exposed again?
Five known issues to go...
Will this close out properly with sinister war and Kindred getting wrapped up in an at least mostly satisfying way?

I didn't exactly know where to put this, but we covered Venom #200, of which Spidey was a part, on our podcast network.

Well, they did this same strategy when they started Brand New Day. For one thing, it ca help put distance between them and a horrible story. People who come along will see the book as been going on for 24 issues in this new direction, a total new story is going on, and not realize it's only been 8 months. It puts some literary distance on the table. They did it like crazy after One More Day.
Another thing is, Marvel (as they did with Brand New Day) can claim that the Amazing Spider-Man is still the best selling comic...with a little * beside the claim because, they are just movie 3 separate issues a month. Don't worry though, each issue will have at LEAST 3 to 4 variant covers to make sure people buy 4 copies to get them all.
Also, it's a solidarity stance for them to show they are all gung-ho on the new status quo. Notice how every other Spider-title gets cancelled since One More Day/Brand New Day? They ALL get the ax eventually because they aren't the "main book". I remember when McFarlane's Spider-Man outsold Amazing like clockwork. So, they rotate out creative teams on one book, as opposed to have 3 books going regularly. They introduce Spectacular or something again when the heat dies down...so they can do a legacy number and cancel it again.

Ahem.
End of rant.
I'm still hoping this direction works out well. So long as Spidey doesn't make a deal with the devil, it's already an improvement over the last time it happened.

Same. All of this 'new direction' isn't really all that new. If you've been around awhile as a comic fan, we've been through this before. And it's the same tactics each time so that part doesn't impress me at all. But like you, I'm just wanting good stories and solid artwork. And of course no deals with the devil. Though I have a feeling Strange will be making or enforcing a new deal with Mephisto.

So, who do you guess will be putting the beat-diwn on Pete?
Harry/Gabriel?
Harry?
Norman as Green Goblin again?

What if Peter, Harry and Norman team-up to beat on Gabriel?
Norman has to take on the Goblin evil again and turns on Pete?

Will Harry die again?

Is Peter's identity exposed again?
Five known issues to go...
Will this close out properly with sinister war and Kindred getting wrapped up in an at least mostly satisfying way?

I don't think it'll be Norman. He's reformed and imo he's gonna stay that way. The only way he might go against Peter is to protect his son. But I have a feeling that if he's involved it'll be to put an end to Kindred.

A team up with Harry and Norman and Peter is definitely a possibility.

Will Harry die again? In thinking about this...Spencer seems to be spending most of his run correcting missteps from the past. Should OMD be rectified in some way, I could see Harry dying again as a way to correct the past and try to restore the greatness of Spectacular 200.

Imo, I feel although it's probably being rushed due to the impatient grumbling from fans, Spencer's run will conclude in a satisfying way. What that will be, I dunno, but I'm excited for it nonetheless. What I hope that happens...is a undoing or at least a rectification of the horrible OMD and OMIT stories.

Some new info for volume 2:
the description for the second volume of Spider-Man Beyond out next year :
Amazing creators unite for a brand new era of Spidey! Ben Reilly — the clone of Spider-Man — is back! He’s been through hell, but now with the support of a major corporation, Ben is thwipping once again and being the best Spider-Man he can be. And what does Peter think? Well, he’s just been through the Sinister War and he’s exhausted! But even if Peter is against Ben’s return to the limelight, does he have a choice? The webs that are about to be woven will take you to places you’ve never been…pit our spectacular heroes against classic villains reloaded, as well as brand-new foes…and make you rethink the whole concept of Spider-Man! But what will all this change and upheaval mean for Mary Jane, the Black Cat, Aunt May — and all of New York City?!

Same. All of this 'new direction' isn't really all that new. If you've been around awhile as a comic fan, we've been through this before. And it's the same tactics each time so that part doesn't impress me at all. But like you, I'm just wanting good stories and solid artwork. And of course no deals with the devil. Though I have a feeling Strange will be making or enforcing a new deal with Mephisto.

I don't think it'll be Norman. He's reformed and imo he's gonna stay that way. The only way he might go against Peter is to protect his son. But I have a feeling that if he's involved it'll be to put an end to Kindred.

A team up with Harry and Norman and Peter is definitely a possibility.

Will Harry die again? In thinking about this...Spencer seems to be spending most of his run correcting missteps from the past. Should OMD be rectified in some way, I could see Harry dying again as a way to correct the past and try to restore the greatness of Spectacular 200.

Imo, I feel although it's probably being rushed due to the impatient grumbling from fans, Spencer's run will conclude in a satisfying way. What that will be, I dunno, but I'm excited for it nonetheless. What I hope that happens...is a undoing or at least a rectification of the horrible OMD and OMIT stories.

Agreed on all counts. Personally, this run's success will be determined by how it ends. If OMD/BND is undone, SSM 200 (SO UNDERRATED!), is restored, and we get a Peter MJ romance LOCKED in place (married please), then I'm going to call it the best since the Pre-Sins Past JMS stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"