Dexter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Hanks Junior has been good UNTIL this latest episode, when he turned from a sympathetic, traigc character into Generic Evil Crazy-Nut 101.

well now he realizes he was gellar the whole time...so its kind of a typical step to take,

Something needs to happen to shake up the show's status quo. They can't maintain it for another season, because it's already starting to get boring, and it's stretching credibility that no one in Miami Metro suspects Dexter. The writers need to start taking risks again, because they've been playing it safe for far too long.

Deb has to find out. If she won't, I'm giving up on this show.

I'm pretty sure nobody in the entire universe gives a damn if you give up on the show, crybaby!

^Seriously, how old are you?

This episode was kind of whatever, these writers are just getting lazier subsequently making Dexter even more stupid. Not just the anonymous call from his own phone last week or sending a video to Travis this week.

When Travis repainted the demon with Dexter's head gave me a laugh, felt like a looney tunes moment. Wonder what direction they're gonna take Louis or the whole Dex/Deb thing. I'm guessing just to show how much she loves him that's it, doubt they'll go any further with it.

Louis is the only interesting part of the show right now.

Deb/Dexter (Debter? Dexbra? I like Dexbra) is disgusting. If they had built up to it before 2 episodes ago, it might be more acceptable. But now it's just BAM! SHOCKING ROMANCE OUT OF NOWHERE! Ew.

The thing that bugs me most about how Travis has "progressed" is that it happened in one instant. He's been hallucinating Gellar all the way up until Dexter found out that Gellar was dead, but once Dex did find out, Travis snapped out of his hallucinations and decided to be a killer anyway. Despite the fact that Travis was fighting Gellar's influence the entire time. It made exactly 0 sense.

I just want more Louis! My guess is that he knows Dexter's secret and has infiltrated his life, much like Dexter has infiltrated the lives of Trinity and Travis. He's been in Dexter's apartment and could have found things on his computer...

So are you saying Louis is another Dexter and is gonna punish him for all his murders?

So are you saying Louis is another Dexter and is gonna punish him for all his murders?

Not saying I know that for sure, just speculation. Travis is essentially another Dexter, but he lacks Dexter's brainpower and chameleon-like tendencies. As for Louis... We saw him show his serial killer game to Dexter, even going as far as to mention the Bay Harbor Butcher. Dexter rejected it and Louis seemed genuinely upset. This week, Louis speaks to Dexter and says something about how Dexter has inspired him not to just make a silly game, but to do something important (paraphrasing here). Then, he's seen drawing on the Ice Truck Killer's evidence and he sends it to Dexter.

What does this all mean? No one can be sure, but this season's biggest mistake is not developing this storyline further. I don't want to wait until next season to find out what the deal is with all this ****.

I'm certain the finale will end in a cliffhanger.

Louis is the only interesting part of the show right now.

Deb/Dexter (Debter? Dexbra? I like Dexbra) is disgusting. If they had built up to it before 2 episodes ago, it might be more acceptable. But now it's just BAM! SHOCKING ROMANCE OUT OF NOWHERE! Ew.

The thing that bugs me most about how Travis has "progressed" is that it happened in one instant. He's been hallucinating Gellar all the way up until Dexter found out that Gellar was dead, but once Dex did find out, Travis snapped out of his hallucinations and decided to be a killer anyway. Despite the fact that Travis was fighting Gellar's influence the entire time. It made exactly 0 sense.
I didn't have too much of a problem with it, since Travis was clearly just insane and trying to protect his only part of himself that was 'innocent' trying to preserve the 'noble' part of religion.

I'm also liking this Travis alot more, and enjoying Hanks' performance much more as this more decisive Travis, rather than the clear facade he was before.

The Deb/Dex thing is pretty gross, but imo, completely understandable. And I honestly think she'll realize that's not what she feels, but rather her misrepresentation of her lack of love from her father. Dex is literally the only person she's ever loved and depended on, truly, so her love for him is really the only definition of love she has and clings to. I really hope that's the case, anyways, because them actually hooking up would make no sense, haha.

Anyways, I'm still loving this season. I realize there have been clumsy areas, but like always, Dexter is not a 'realistic' show like a Breaking Bad, it's about the character and how he views the world, and how he develops within it. It doesn't feel as natural because it's not supposed to, that's simply the style they're going for. To me, Dexter feels almost like a dream, in that things and characters and events represent things that occur for Dexter in a meaningful way to him, constantly changing and evolving his perspective. Every season has been a progression for the character, in a way that Dexter would experience it. It's not always a forward linear progression, Dexter is, after all, pretty crazy. Anyways, I like, and usually agree with most of the criticism of the show on this forum, I just enjoy it so much it doesn't really bother me at all, haha.

i literally facepalmed when dexter sent travis a video text...wtf?

the show has totally lost its luster, but i'm still interested as to how louis fits in all of this.

That's at least the third moment this season when I realized Dexter has become a dumbass. The other two being calling the police with his own phone last episode and not realizing someone (only Travis) had to push the table from the outside over the trap door.

Things we have learned.
Travis can't tie knots. Clearly when everyone else took knot tying classes he took super painting instead.

Travis has super speed.
When he and Dexter carpooled to the church he walked away. Not even Dexter with his Car could chase him. Now he Leaps from a window and runs in broad day light. Not even the full police force can catch him.
So the show is taking a sci fi leap. I'm very exited. I hear in the books Dexter fights demons so this all adds up :)

One of my favorite elements of this series is when there is someone investigating dex. First Doakes then Quin and RoboCop. I hope they bring that back soon.

well now he realizes he was gellar the whole time...so its kind of a typical step to take,

Not really. We missed out on any horror that this person who, we were told, has always been a gentle, caring, sensitive individual who couldn't bring himself to harm anyone might feel at discovering he is in fact a mass murderer. And that he killed his sister, who he loved more than anyone else in the world. Instead, his reaction seemed to be, "Oh great, now I can be as evil as I want! BWAHAHAHAHA!" And then we get a handy deus ex machina telling us that everything we learned about Travis was untrue and he's in fact always been violent and manipulative.

Not saying I know that for sure, just speculation. Travis is essentially another Dexter, but he lacks Dexter's brainpower and chameleon-like tendencies. As for Louis... We saw him show his serial killer game to Dexter, even going as far as to mention the Bay Harbor Butcher. Dexter rejected it and Louis seemed genuinely upset. This week, Louis speaks to Dexter and says something about how Dexter has inspired him not to just make a silly game, but to do something important (paraphrasing here). Then, he's seen drawing on the Ice Truck Killer's evidence and he sends it to Dexter.

What does this all mean? No one can be sure, but this season's biggest mistake is not developing this storyline further. I don't want to wait until next season to find out what the deal is with all this ****.

I'm certain the finale will end in a cliffhanger.

Yeah, the Louis subplot is by far the most engaging element of this season. It's the only aspect with any actual mystery and intrigue, given how heavily, heavily telegraphed every other plot twist has been. And I do think this is building to some shocking cliffhanger finale that will set the stage for next season.

HOWEVER, I do think that, in hindsight, that will make Season 6 a total waste. If, when we look back over the history of the show, Season 6 stands as being memorable as nothing other than an extended teaser for Season 7.

One of my favorite elements of this series is when there is someone investigating dex. First Doakes then Quin and RoboCop. I hope they bring that back soon.

I kinda thought that was what the new cop (Anderson? I think that's his name but who knows) was going to do but alas, he just seems to be more background noise.

Kinda liked the first 15 mins of this episode. There was a sembelance of tension and it was halfway exciting. But they blew their load too early and then the rest of the episode sorta just meandered (and it's the penultimate episode!)

Hate the Dex/Deb stuff, just because they aren't biological doesn't make it right. But it's just sloppy, there's been no context for this so far, they seem to be plucking the concept out of thin air.

The Deb/Dex thing may have come kind of out of no where, but I have to say both actors played that dream sequence really well, and I liked the close ups. It was effective enough for me to kind of root for it to happen.

Do I think they would make sense as a couple? Heck no. It'd sure as heck create a lot of drama if they actually came out and told people they were a couple tho... all those judgemental eyes...

And I have to say, there is this little part of me thinking it's sort of not out of nowhere. I mean, it's always been Deb. She's always been the one person he cared about the most.

I mean, this is one of the first things he said about her: 'She's the only person in the world who loves me. I think that's nice. I don't have feeling about anything, but if I could have feelings at all, I'd have them for Deb'

I mean, I'd prefer it if they hadn't gone down this route, because i'm sick of every show having to be about 'shipping' and routing for people to kiss (why can't bonds just be bonds without throwing sex into the mix!).

But i'm digesting it I guess. It's not as weird as I thought it would be.

Well, fingers crossed she finds out the truth about him and that turns off her feelings for him sharpish.

vlcsnap-9500151.png

vlcsnap-9509717.png

palm-reading-marriage-line.jpg

looks like we may be in for a very interesting season 7

Not really. We missed out on any horror that this person who, we were told, has always been a gentle, caring, sensitive individual who couldn't bring himself to harm anyone might feel at discovering he is in fact a mass murderer. And that he killed his sister, who he loved more than anyone else in the world. Instead, his reaction seemed to be, "Oh great, now I can be as ev,il as I want! BWAHAHAHAHA!" And then we get a handy deus ex machina telling us that everything we learned about Travis was untrue and he's in fact always been violent and manipulative.
Ya, but we also learn it was Travis's idea to be the witnesses. Clearly even he doesn't know what he wants, but some part of him (the Travis from the beginning of the show) still rejects that, is that tiny bit of 'light' that they went on about for the first few episodes. Alot of the writing in Dexter has always been incredibly convenient, but rarely does it bother me at the end of the day, because it can be justified in some insane way usually, which is excusable since they're all insane, haha.

Season 7 is looking to be great, Louis is definitely an interesting character who I'm looking forward to see where they're going with him. But imo, don't be surprised if the show continues to have some seemingly telegraphed moments for the viewer who's watching closely. One of my buddies who is usually pretty astute of a viewer was completely surprised by the 'Gellar is dead' moment, and felt like his transformation was completely justified. How many people didn't suspect Rudy as the ITK almost immediately? It's simply a part of their style, they want to reward the viewer who's figuring it out, while still knowing they will surprise a fair amount. I know that I myself would have suspected the Gellar 'twist' like I did Rudy, but I never would've been so sure about it if I weren't visiting these boards and discussing it. I think that's some pretty successful writing, personally.

Last edited:
Louis has the feel that he could by a "The Carver" like character.

If Deb and Dex ever kiss-kiss, I'll burn my dvds and quit the show...

The Deb/Dex thing may have come kind of out of no where, but I have to say both actors played that dream sequence really well, and I liked the close ups. It was effective enough for me to kind of root for it to happen.

Do I think they would make sense as a couple? Heck no. It'd sure as heck create a lot of drama if they actually came out and told people they were a couple tho... all those judgemental eyes...

And I have to say, there is this little part of me thinking it's sort of not out of nowhere. I mean, it's always been Deb. She's always been the one person he cared about the most.

I mean, this is one of the first things he said about her: 'She's the only person in the world who loves me. I think that's nice. I don't have feeling about anything, but if I could have feelings at all, I'd have them for Deb'

I mean, I'd prefer it if they hadn't gone down this route, because i'm sick of every show having to be about 'shipping' and routing for people to kiss (why can't bonds just be bonds without throwing sex into the mix!).

But i'm digesting it I guess. It's not as weird as I thought it would be.

Well, fingers crossed she finds out the truth about him and that turns off her feelings for him sharpish.
I don't think (but I guess we'll see) that this is actually about her loving him in that way, but it's actually just her honest reaction to that idea. She really does love Dexter more than anything/anybody, and she's just now exploring the depth of that love. I still bet it's a daddy issue thing, that she didn't get enough love from her father, so supplanted both her father's love and her brother's love onto Dexter. I like that this season has been all about Deb actually exploring the reason she's been a crazy chick, going out with all these dudes who clearly were filling some space for her, all these seasons.

I agree to what everyone is saying here. These last 2 episodes have left much more to be desired, they're turning this into a soap-opera. Dexter sending Travis that video-text was a huge no-no and nothing really exciting has been happening.

The finale looks too predictable with Travis going after Dexter's son. We know he won't do anything to a baby so the only thing looking forward to what Louis' intentions are.

im calling it now, Louis kills Travis robbing Dexter of the satisfaction of killing him (travis)

That could be it. Apart from Louis' apparent obsession with Dexter, if Travis wants to get the baby he has to get rid of the nanny (forgot her name) one way or another. Louis wouldn't like that.

The last time "Dexter" had an ad for its season finale saying we wouldn't expect the ending, Rita was killed. I didn't think they'd go that far, so with the preview for next week's episode basically saying the same thing I'm ready for whatever. That's the only thing that has me amped for next week. This episode kinda seemed like a waste with the whole Wormwood thing being over in like the first 12 minutes. And I was highly pissed off about Dexter sending the video text. But meh, whatever.

I'm with everyone else who says that Louis is the more interesting character. He's far from predictable, unlike the Gellar "revelation". I wonder what's his deal, though. I still stand by my theory that he's related to Dexter and Brian. And Dexter has mentioned a couple times this season how he's afriad the fight would be brought home to Harrison. Why in the **** hasn't he considered sending him with Aster and Cody for a couple days or so?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"