World Did anyone else say Spiderman - The New Animated Series?

To me TAS is a better representation of the character than TSSM, when Madame Web had nothing to do with the episode story.

How did Madame Webb affect the story? You mean the cryptic advice she was always giving Spidey?

How did Madame Webb affect the story? You mean the cryptic advice she was always giving Spidey?
Some of her advice ends up basic stuff, like the Tombstone episode:
"Don't be dumb, use smarts"
Spider-Man did it without her help, like in the Rocket Racer episode.
You hear Spider-Man say "Now I understand what she meant"

You mean she made Spider-Man look like an idiot.

Basically, yeah.
That show made me hate the character for a while.

Agreed. SSM best for characters, TAS is best at animation and design.

TAS was better at designs, but poor at the actual animation really. The character movement was pretty stiff for the most part. Spider-man is also supposed to be one of the most acrobatic superheroes but in that show he moved as fluidly as a 60 year old wrestler.

Don't even get me started on the constant reuse of stock footage.

TAS was better at designs, but poor at the actual animation really. The character movement was pretty stiff for the most part. Spider-man is also supposed to be one of the most acrobatic superheroes but in that show he moved as fluidly as a 60 year old wrestler.
Sometimes the animation did get stiff and shoddy at times, but when Spidey moved, he moved pretty well for the most part.
The animation in episodes like the pilot, Ock's debut, symbiote arc, and in the Hydroman episode is stellar for the most parts.

Basically, yeah.
That show made me hate the character for a while.

Did you know she was voiced by Stan Lee's wife?

Don't even get me started on the constant reuse of stock footage.

That is the only drawback I have with the animation on that show. Reusing footage over and over. Sometimes it stuck out like a sore thumb. The worst one for me was in the Daredevil two parter, where they are fighting in Kingpin's office building lair, and Kingpin throws Spider-Man off him, and the shot they use for Spidey landing on his feet is from Doc Ock's first episode where he lands in front of DOC OCK'S REACTOR!!!!!

It's like what the hell is Doc Ock's reactor doing in Kingpin's lair all of a sudden?

Yep.

That is the only drawback I have with the animation on that show. Reusing footage over and over. Sometimes it stuck out like a sore thumb. The worst one for me was in the Daredevil two parter, where they are fighting in Kingpin's office building lair, and Kingpin throws Spider-Man off him, and the shot they use for Spidey landing on his feet is from Doc Ock's first episode where he lands in front of DOC OCK'S REACTOR!!!!!

It's like what the hell is Doc Ock's reactor doing in Kingpin's lair all of a sudden?
Oscorp's fusion reactor rods were there in the Spot's episode.
And in Xavier's institute in the Mutant Agenda.

Here's some more examples

- In the "Sinister" Six episode(I think it was that one), Spidey's crawling up a building, it then suddenly shows him crawling up a sewer pipe and then back to crawling up the building.

- In the second season finale, Spidey's fighting the Scorpion. Not only was the same shot of Scorpion charging at Spidey used about two or three times, that shot was from his debut episode. Which was after he started mutate into looking more like a monster instead of just a man in a scorpion costume(which seemed to have been dropped afterwards).

- In the Venom/Carnage episode, when Carnage breaks out off Ravencroft, you see Venom escaping instead.

The animation was goof in the first season(especially Night Of The Lizard), but it's quality started to go downhill in the second season. And it got worse as the show went on.

Now yall done got me started lol.

Oscorp's fusion reactor rods were there in the Spot's episode.
And in Xavier's institute in the Mutant Agenda.

Here's some more examples

- In the "Sinister" Six episode(I think it was that one), Spidey's crawling up a building, it then suddenly shows him crawling up a sewer pipe and then back to crawling up the building.

- In the second season finale, Spidey's fighting the Scorpion. Not only was the same shot of Scorpion charging at Spidey used about two or three times, that shot was from his debut episode. Which was after he started mutate into looking more like a monster instead of just a man in a scorpion costume(which seemed to have been dropped afterwards).

- In the Venom/Carnage episode, when Carnage breaks out off Ravencroft, you see Venom escaping instead.

The animation was goof in the first season(especially Night Of The Lizard), but it's quality started to go downhill in the second season. And it got worse as the show went on.

Now yall done got me started lol.

That's what I mean. The show was littered with them, and some of them were SO obvious. It's one of several things that make it a lesser show than SSM.

That's a interesting little tidbit, thanks for sharing! But I must say, you're missing out on not hearing these great voice actors that are playing Peter/Spider-Man. I'm guessing your English is pretty good since you are able to communicate just fine on this board so it might be worth your while to try and get copies of these shows in English and give the original actors a listen. Not sure how difficult it would be for you to get them, it's just my opinion.

Especially since your favorite of the shows happens to be this one, The New Animated Series, I'd highly recommend getting a hold of the original to hear Neil Patrick Harris' work as Spidey. He kicks ass in the role. You'll probably end up liking the show even more.

I've seen a few scenes in english and I plan to eventually watch the complete series with the original voice acting. :yay:

My rank would be:

-SSM Season 2
-Spider-Man TNAS
-90s Spider-Man
-SSM Season 1
-Spider-Man Unlimited
-the others

I hate that The New Animated Series didn't get a second season, it would have been great and the creator said they were planning to use Mysterio, The Vulture and more Kraven.

He must make people's ears bleed. lol

Not really, I like a lot of his songs ;) but yeah his acting in USM is terrible which is sad since I was kinda happy that he was chosen to be in it.

I haven't seen this show yet. Honest opinion, guys, is it even worth watching?

I think you should give it a try, I really love it and its somewhat of a sequel to the first Raimi Spider-Man.

I think you can find all the episodes in Dailymotion but PLEASE don't watch the "Head Over Heels" episode first, its the worst and if you watch it first it would give you a bad impression of the show.

I need to watch this show again now that it is 15 years -and two months- old.

@Johnny-Oh Here's your old avatar back.

MTV Spider-Man excellent avatar.gif

I get obviously not doing Dr. Octopus and preempting the upcoming movie version but they probably should have done the Vulture (the stand-in Raptor-crew were pretty lacking) or Mysterio or Scorpion. Kraven was pretty good though.

MJ was cute and an OK character (though the constant midriff-showing got excessive), Harry was an OK friend but I disliked his design (blonde seemingly so that he and Peter wouldn't both be brown-haired). I thought most of Spider-Man's quips were pretty bad, both themselves and the delivery, it felt like he was always ruining his element of surprise (I'm ambivalent about them in general but they can be done well, I thought they were in TAS). It was also a little cheaply inconsistent that Peter had the movie costume but didn't really act much like the movie character.

I thought most of Spider-Man's quips were pretty bad, both themselves and the delivery, it felt like he was always ruining his element of surprise
I recall his delivery of quips being pretty good.

To me the series's portrayal of Spider-Man/Peter Parker feels more like what if it had been James Franco who played him in the movie, a version with the nerdiness much, much less emphasized.

So after rewatching the first Raimi movie yesterday I decided to rewatch this, and I hate that you don't know the true order of how you should watch the episodes, and everywhere you go they are released out of order sans for the two episodes finale.

The Party episode isn't bad, when you don't think of how strong they actually made Spider-Man for this show and why it's wrong to have his hurt his hand trying to break a limo windshield.
And then you got the webbing physics that are inconsistent, sometimes they are resistant to electricity, while you see the fully electric Electro can shoot electric charge through the web by touching with hand, though it is touching his feet and grounding him.
Spider-Man uses a cable to put Electro in the ground, and we saw Electro a minute or so earlier touching a power cable to power himself.

The environment is bland, buildings are paint with corners drawn, and black rectangles slapped in to form the shape of a window.

I watched 'Heroes and Villains' (supposedly the true first episode) and environments in this one look more detailed than they do in the Electro episode.

The villain of the episode is Slyde, they just changed his name and costume, and edited his characterization a bit.

Jane Lynch voiced characters in both this cartoon and Spectacular, cool.

This is from Silver Sable's episode, in case anyone wanted it.
Avatar sized Spider-Man CGI head.gif Adjusted colors.gif Background erase attempted.gif

Last edited:
So I'm done watching this show again, and I loved watching it.
I will have to say that it is decent and inconsequential, nothing important to go back to when you want to watch Spider-Man in media, much like the two Amazing Spider-Man movies.

I'll give this an overall score of 7.3/10

I'm watching this show again, and Neil Patrick Harris voiced a charming and lovable Spider-Man in this show. It's interesting to think about when the second time he was hired to voice the character they made that Spider-Man one of the dumbest and most reckless iterations to think of the character.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"